Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dorf Rapture! The amazing tales of how Dorfs managing a underwater fort!  (Read 2352 times)

kylefiredemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You heard me and you heard right! We are going to build the largest under water fort possible and It's only for a low price of 10'000 ☼! (Just kidding!)

So things I forgot to mention, firearms will be modded in the game and so will be wrenches, drills and pipes as weapons.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 08:56:52 pm by kylefiredemon »

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile

The only question I have is how will they get there?

You could dig the lake yourself and add the water afterwards from an aquifer or some such, I suppose...

Of course, if you're doing that part the easy way, then you can't let the external structure be anything but properly dwarfy steel and clear glass.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

kylefiredemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The only question I have is how will they get there?

You could dig the lake yourself and add the water afterwards from an aquifer or some such, I suppose...

Of course, if you're doing that part the easy way, then you can't let the external structure be anything but properly dwarfy steel and clear glass.
That would be a problem. I guess messing around with mineral scarcity could work and we can try mining to the magma sea and use pumps... Still how would we block the flow of water.

It just occured to me that a temperate zone may be able to handle our request by freezing during the winter. We could build during the winter and make the materials and peperations during the three other seasons.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 09:15:22 pm by kylefiredemon »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unless you have a strong Processor or pick a beachless area (No waves) I wouldn't go with freezing Oceans...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

kylefiredemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unless you have a strong Processor or pick a beachless area (No waves) I wouldn't go with freezing Oceans...
Thanks for the heads up! Anyone know where I can get some gun designs in the mod department? Can't wait!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Corrosion Mod has a few guns and stuff.
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile

Volcano near a lake/sea. Channel lava into the ocean to drop obsidian to the bottom, drain it later.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Volcano near a lake/sea. Channel lava into the ocean to drop obsidian to the bottom, drain it later.
That's only going to make a sort of obsidian sponge thing since the way magma drips causes it to spread out.

The one reliable way I've found to make flat, perfect pancakes of obsidian is to drop a flat pancake of magma onto a flat, still, contained pancake of water.  Build a giant, outdoor obsidian making machine, make as many layers as you want, channel around it to free the giant cube of obsidian from what's holding it, and pitch it into the sea with the throw of a lever (or just let it squash a miner on the way down).

You might even be able to carve out all your rooms and such before you throw it down, since obsidian-cast walls shouldn't collapse.  I'm not sure whether they'll fill with water, though.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 11:27:04 pm by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile

I've tried such fort once, and it worked (kinda, except there was no wind for the pumps). Here's the save, if you're interested (you can see the layout in burrows). Basically, for the bottommost layer of the lake choose a suitable flat 5x5 square. On the level above that, expland that to 11x11 (+3 tiles by the sides, to house pump and water being pumped), then to 17x17 and so on. Enclose the square completely in pumps, start pumping. When top level is clear, build pumps on the second, and so on until you get to the bottom. Voila - Moses Effect to it's finest! Oh, and murdered FPS, but that's a minor problem.

Brisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The one reliable way I've found to make flat, perfect pancakes of obsidian is to drop a flat pancake of magma onto a flat, still, contained pancake of water.  Build a giant, outdoor obsidian making machine, make as many layers as you want, channel around it to free the giant cube of obsidian from what's holding it, and pitch it into the sea with the throw of a lever (or just let it squash a miner on the way down).

You might even be able to carve out all your rooms and such before you throw it down, since obsidian-cast walls shouldn't collapse.  I'm not sure whether they'll fill with water, though.

just as a caution when you do this it doesn't crush the water under the block. it displaces it. the water could flood your work area if you are not careful and all that water calculations will punish your processor. this is how magma pistons work.

another way is to drain the ocean into an aquifer. this works but the problem is that the ocean is then constantly pouring into the map from the edge tiles. again, your processor will hate you.

the most effective way to build Rapture is with memory modification tools such as DFHack. but, that isn't acceptable to some people.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile

just as a caution when you do this it doesn't crush the water under the block. it displaces it. the water could flood your work area if you are not careful and all that water calculations will punish your processor. this is how magma pistons work.

another way is to drain the ocean into an aquifer. this works but the problem is that the ocean is then constantly pouring into the map from the edge tiles. again, your processor will hate you.

the most effective way to build Rapture is with memory modification tools such as DFHack. but, that isn't acceptable to some people.
you could just start in the caverns and carve and build the structures then flood the place.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

kylefiredemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've tried such fort once, and it worked (kinda, except there was no wind for the pumps). Here's the save, if you're interested (you can see the layout in burrows). Basically, for the bottommost layer of the lake choose a suitable flat 5x5 square. On the level above that, expland that to 11x11 (+3 tiles by the sides, to house pump and water being pumped), then to 17x17 and so on. Enclose the square completely in pumps, start pumping. When top level is clear, build pumps on the second, and so on until you get to the bottom. Voila - Moses Effect to it's finest! Oh, and murdered FPS, but that's a minor problem.
Your fort killed my processor.