Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gravelevened- On the Origins of badgers, and dogs  (Read 633 times)

The Steel face palm

• Bay Watcher
  • I have slain many badgers.
    • View Profile
Gravelevened- On the Origins of badgers, and dogs
« on: June 02, 2011, 11:00:26 am »

Quote from: The Steel face palm
The following started when I got bored of starting in glaciers (fun, but not Fun), taiga's (too common, too easy) and on mountains (again too easy). So I decided to find something that sounded challenging to build in, and I found it :]
Gravelevened, sounded hopeless, and was located in hell itself. (No not that hell:)). A savage biome, I think temperate marsh, with sparse trees, separated by the sabresilver river, where on the other end lies a savage desert, with no trees, plants or water.
Lots of Fun already!
The water that already existed either froze or slowly evaporated. Or had carp and tigerfish in it. I never thought about making a story of it, so I never started recording dates, and unfortunately, lost a large part of the save to a crash. (Which was just as well, at the time of the crash I only had 4 dwarves, but they were working valiantly:()
This is a story of dwarves, Armok's Herald, and GAWD DAMN BADGERS.

1409 - Age of Civilisation
After fleeing from some naked elves, the trade caravan I was in had inadvertently gotten lost, in a desert.
~Iorwarl Tuskan, human gem cutter.

1409 - Or I think it still is. We've lost track of time, we found some ruins, that should keep us plenty safe come night time. There's a few chests around here, perhaps our caravan could find some... Profitable items in here to borrow.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

05 - 1st Granite
We have brought what meagre supplies we have, and set off to forge a new fortress, Astral, for the Notched Pick!
~Alath Eribokil, 1st Miner, 1st Expedition leader.

05 - 1st Granite
~Set up the first work shops, started gathering wood and set up the farms. Dobar, the farmer appears to have some sort of fear of plump helmets, so we're deciding to set up farms above ground, growing whatever we can find. Then we'll find a doctor to examine his head.
~Alath Eribokil, 1st Miner, 1st Expedition Leader.

06 - 1st Obsidian
We just tapped into a frozen river, and saw some good of having ice in a desert! Unfortunately we were interrupted "slightly" when the river unthawed and flooded the room we were all working on. No one was hurt, but now our beards don't smell of camel intestine. Absolutely disgusting. We'll probably be able to make a resevoir out of this! On a side note, we've gotten our dwarf bridges set up, shame that won't be much use if our walls aren't built. We also had a few run ins with vicious badgers, but no one was hurt, badly.
Buzzards stole a lot of wild strawberries though.
~Alath Eribokil, 1st Miner, 1st Expedition Leader.

Unknown date, but appears to have occurred shortly after this last note. I am surprised the wall inscriptions have lasted so long, let alone the writings in the books! I am surprised the dwarves even wrote of their accounts!
And there's inscriptions on the floor...

08 - 23rd sla___*
Armok Damn BADGERS! They're everywhere now, the useless recruits sent ar______* good for nothi____* piece of___* LIKE BADGER VOMIT!
Retreat to the workshops! Guard the stair case and finish that damn wall!
~Thob Ustathesh, 2nd Expedition Leader, 1st Mason.
*There are inscriptions missing, they must not've had the same protection as being sealed in a rock chest.
*Besides the chest containing the writing, there are more inscriptions*

09 - 1st of Granite
The King is obssessed with sending out hopeless expeditions exactly on this date. Ah well, at least we're only reclaiming a fortress, someone's already done the hard work for us!
I trust that the dwarves who ditched the place were kind enough to leave some copper picks and a few axes, so we're ditching that extra weight in favour of bringing dogs along, we heard tales of fearsome badgers! HA! Badgers should be no problem, we're only bringing the dogs to hunt the ones that run!
~Ezum Atheldakost, 3rd Expedition Leader, 4th miner.

09 - 2nd of Granite
The "fortress" is a mess! crumbling walls stand decripit over fields of junk! There aren't even any picks or axes! At least they left some bars, though it's a shame we're wasting iron on picks so readily, but at least we've gotten use out of our silver bars (*Silver was used to make their hatchets and axes?). Buzzards immediately showed up thanks to the commotion we caused getting here, and took all of our above ground crops. Looks like it's prepared kitten tripe with plump helmet cookies for a year again.
Also note to self, get someone to finish that damn resevoir! We're also going to start building something... Something big. A megaproject if you will.
~Ezum Atheldakost, 3rd Expedition Leader, 4th Miner.

[A heavy obsidian door stands ahead, from which a strong draft can be heard, but you fear that the door may lead to the outside, and tails of caravans stuck outside at night are... Graphic. And it doesn't help that you're stuck in dwarven ruins, infamous for binding demons and ghosts to defend their treasures... If you believe in superstitions. Figuring that bogeymen and ghost's are just fairy tales... You shove the door open with the help of one of the caravan guards.]

1409 - 1412 ~ Age of civilisations. Some time after we found the grand hall and its riches, we returned to the homeland with this news, and to our surprise, we were told to return to the ruins to set up a town there! The Grand Hall is full of inscriptions, and it seems ores were just left in the walls! We probably won't even need to start mining, as there are plenty of treasures just lying around the floor in neat (enough) stock piles! However the hall is still too large to explore, some people have heard noises coming from the distance.

09-29th Moonstone
We fought off waves of badgers, but something horrific showed up on the horizon, gargantuan badgers, in large groups started appearing, and we thought we were too ill equipped to fight back, it was then we thought of the stories of the badgers, and only then we truly believed the torsos we found lying around were not caused by unfortunate accidents.
We hurriedly grabbed the dogs and lined them up in front of the badgers, we thought their deaths would buy us enough time to barricade ourselves underground and equip ourselves. But it was too late, and the demon badgers had already made it the front. But they did not attack. The dogs stood transfixed upon the giant badgers, but they too did not attack. We saw some of the badgers try to flank us, but we moved dogs towards them, and sure enough, the backed off. It got to the point where we simply picked up the dogs and walked towards the badgers and drove them towards the river! HA HA! THIS IS GRAVELEVENED!!!!!!

09-1st Opal
We forged silver warhammers, and simple armour, and have begun a massive dog breeding program! We also found out the badgers will flee from those touched with Armok's fury, however we have found out the badgers will still fight. 2 Dwarves have died, one from an unfortunate accident (built a floor next to a floor grate, and walked onto the floor. Must've been a fat dwarf, because the floor broke off.), and the other got kicked in the brain by a camel.
On a similiar note, all camels seem to die when they step foot in Gravelevened now. Mysterious.
We've since built the great halls, and are now building a catacomb underneath it, I doubt we'll need to use it often though.
And even better news! We're planning to build a tower to house everyone, thanks to that useless resevoir we still don't have a dining room or bedrooms! And it isn't even finished yet! Despite this, everyone is still happy. We've begun building a Colosseum, where we're testing on captured Giant Badgers.

___F__K_*
I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS! SOME IDIOT RELEASED THE GIANT BADGERS!
It was a massacre, 19 giant badgers in the middle of your town should be enough to make you run, but we drank our beer, ate our kittens and stormed out there battle axes and war hammers held aloft. 15 giant badgers were killed, the rest ran away. 13 dwarves died, and one went mad before being torn to pieces by his own dogs.
Currently 28 dwarves, 8 of which have the true gaze of madness. The breeding program is continuing as successfully as it was before the badgerpocalypse, 61 puppies and a dozen war dogs. I plan to get the foundations for the upcoming prison (to avoid this mess again) and new great hall before we leave this accursed place.
And we're moving over the river, and destroying the bridge.
*Note to future self, the river freezes in winter.
P.s, writing in the blood of your enemies is pretty sick.

*Someone deliberately scratched out whatever was written, looks vulgar though.

This will be my last note, it is winter, the river has frozen and we were expecting badgers from the north, but instead were greeted with goblins arriving from the south. There are 4 of us underground, the tunnels are full of corpses and the sounds of the dying can be heard above. We are going to wall off the rest of the world with the underground, and hope that the goblins lose this battle.

Cue dramatic music for next time in - Gravelevened, the time warp again :D
Ghostly Miner cancels Fun, Interrupted by TEH SOAP BUSTERS
Quote from: Dyret
Also crossbow-wielding giant desert scorpions
All your base are reclaim by us

I declare war on the badgers. At Winter it begins.

The Steel face palm

• Bay Watcher
  • I have slain many badgers.
    • View Profile
Re: Gravelevened- On the Origins of badgers, and dogs
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 11:28:14 am »

Fun thing is, this all happened ^_^
Except for the Armok part, that might have happened.
Also this is littered with bay12 references.
FIND EM NAOW :D
Ghostly Miner cancels Fun, Interrupted by TEH SOAP BUSTERS
Quote from: Dyret
Also crossbow-wielding giant desert scorpions
All your base are reclaim by us

I declare war on the badgers. At Winter it begins.