Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cabochons woo!  (Read 1389 times)

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
Cabochons woo!
« on: June 12, 2011, 10:16:32 pm »

This is a feature I'm really excited about!  We'll have another thing to do with mined stone, and more things for our gem cutters to do, assuming there's no new skill for it.  :D
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cabochons woo!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 11:25:24 pm »

My wiki-fu has reminded me that cabochons are gemstones cut into a round, often elliptical, shape. It appears it's common to do this with some more ordinary types of stone too, which would be a nice way for normal stone to join the extensive list of gemstones, if that is the intention. If I understand that right, it would also mean normal stone could be converted into a gem, which would be encrustable into an object made of normal stone, compressing those inevitable heaps of worthless mountain pieces into beautiful trade goods that much faster and with more detail.

I wonder if dynamically generated fossils would be a good suggestion for a future release... They'd certainly be wonderful for making into gemstones. "This is a polished bee fossil. The fossil is of a bee and a leaf. The bee is sitting on the leaf." ... "This is an ancient fossil. The fossil is of a tiny lizard twisted into humanoid form with exposed ribs and feathers. The lizard is curled inside the faint outline of an egg shell." For bonus points, it could also mention what type of stone it is in... or perhaps that's going too far?

Also of note is cameo and intaglio carving of gemstones (perhaps using cabochon-cut gems and stones as a material?) into images like wall engravings, which would be awesome too.

Ostrich gizzard stone gems... heh! I like where this is headed.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 11:28:00 pm by Funburns »

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 12:16:03 am »

Yes, exactly! :D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 01:35:03 am by Rainseeker »
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 01:41:45 am »

Its so od but I just saw a seggestion about this in the suggestion forums. Anyways, I rarely make stone crafts because I always try to build and above ground fortress. It seems fun and all but it needs to have a fundamental change. Like wood to rock. Perhaps cut gemstones can be put into items one way and the pollished ones another.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 02:40:25 am »

So that means we will get a two step way of studding crafts/furniture/weapons with stone. First we cut/smooth the stone into cabochons (another use for engravers other than just smoothing and engraving the whole fort?) and then we set the workshop to stud stuff with the cabochons.

Imagine the insane values you could get by making a rose gold throne encrusted with diamonds and native gold/marble cabochons.

Also, I heard there was a recepie for Ostrich gizzard soup. Maybe Toady can do something with that?

More importantly, I find the attention given to the beastmen cultures most fascinating. What Im not getting though is if each beastem species has its own fixed specific behavior/culture as a whole or if its a bit more randomized. And do they have any sort of "evolution"? I mean it would be pretty sweet if a tribe of squid men develops to the size of one of the mayor civilizations and begins conquering lands in a twisted mishmash of Planet of the Apes and the Chthulu Mythos culminating in civilizations mixing toghether like what happened with Cacame.

Dwarven squidman king anybody? The ruler of fortress Innsmouth prefers goblin brain roast, masterfully minced with elf spinal fluid.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 02:43:59 am by Friendstrange »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 04:13:02 am »

Will it use the Engraver or Stonecrafter skill? And will this (or something similar) be available for wood too?