Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Damn steel cockoaches!  (Read 7509 times)

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Damn steel cockoaches!
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2011, 10:11:02 pm »

I once pited 20 elite hammerdwarves clad in steel and equiped with silver war hammers against a bronze colossus. (in Arena Mode of course)

Cue 30+ minutes of battle with the bronze colossus winning though on the verge of death with his entire body dented or cracked open and mising some fingers and all of his teeth.

The best weapon against metal oponents seems to be blunt damage, but that wont deliver a sure kill.

What Id do in this case is make a 10 z-level pit with a 1-block-thick walkway filled with weapon trapson top and try to make the bug walk though it.

On the bottom you can either have a bunch of menacing steel spike traps deployed and/or a raised bridge sealing the room. That way you can have time to set up a web cage trap on the other side of the bridge. Of course this all involves several seasons of work but its better than to just wait for all your military to die out. Also, turn any migrants isnto your replacement military and start their training.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2011, 10:18:37 pm »

Candy picks? They seem to be all the rage nowadays.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2011, 12:40:58 pm »

Ah steel FB's... they always provide lots of fun.

I once generated multiple worlds and modded in all the FB's into one game to let them fight in a massive tournament in arena mode. There were only 2 real contenders, a platinum quaduped (the eventual winner) and a steel giant spider. Those things were beastly and nigh unstoppable against dwarves.

Are any of the dwarves fighting the roach using artifact weapons?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 12:43:45 pm by BloodBeard »

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2011, 12:42:39 pm »

oops, meant to edit, not quote. ignore this.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2011, 07:15:34 pm »

I still think walling it off, dropping it into a pit with no ramps (like in cavein aquifer piercing method), and leaving it there is the way to go.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2011, 07:27:00 pm »

Indeed. Such a rare beast is far too precious to let die.
Naked dwarves remove the need to produce more clothing, which means more of your pig tails can be brewed into booze.
I think this is less a problem and more an expression of dwarven priorities.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2011, 07:28:34 am »

Are any of the dwarves fighting the roach using artifact weapons?

Well, that fort has two artifact axes.

Made of bone.

Nobody wields them. Obvious reasons.

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2011, 07:36:17 am »

I believe that to kill such a thing, an amadine pointed weapon would be required - such as a spear. Does it even _has_ vital organs (of steel)? Or a LARGE amount of "hit points"? How do you destroy it, by "smashing open" the body?

Obviously artifact would be a plus.
Naked dwarves remove the need to produce more clothing, which means more of your pig tails can be brewed into booze.
I think this is less a problem and more an expression of dwarven priorities.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2011, 02:36:00 pm »

Inorganics creatures are generated without organs, brains, tendons, etc. So the only way to kill it throughr egular combat is severing the head or lower body.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2011, 02:03:46 pm »

If you've got a steel cockroach problem, just get your mech's and your metalsmiths to make a steel tarantula.
Problem solved.

[Insert magma joke here]

Dwarf Fortress: Where the cure should be (at least) as bad as the disease.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Inkster

• Bay Watcher
  • Lost in time
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2011, 02:53:46 pm »

Cave it into a pit from beneath it, leave it trapped down there

robdesjardin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2011, 08:15:48 pm »

I may be new, but a 10 z drop could kill it. Steel is very dense as such it should "break" upon impact.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2011, 07:01:32 am »

It will, breaking it isnt the problem, blunt weapons and even axes will bust up a steel FB.  The problem is that it wont bleed out and you need a lot of luck to actually sever something...which is the only thing that'll kill it.

I think appendages and parts are easier to sever when broken and mangled though.  I often see dwarves fail to amputate a part for 3-4 hits before removing it.  Steel is just...well yeah if its steel, and steel is your best, then its pretty futile through regular combat.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2011, 08:53:58 am »

Just last night, a great viper, made of fire agate, with an enormous shell, showed up at my fort. It only took a few days to kill, but the only progress toward killing it came with severs. In fact, the tail, shell and head were all severed before the thing finally died.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2011, 11:30:15 am »

Just last night, a great viper, made of fire agate, with an enormous shell, showed up at my fort. It only took a few days to kill, but the only progress toward killing it came with severs. In fact, the tail, shell and head were all severed before the thing finally died.
Incidentally, can you do anything with the severed gem parts of a FB? I mean can you cut the things, use them for engraving or what?

I know you can melt the severed parts of a metal FB, maybe even the body, but Ive never heard of doing anything with a gem FB.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5