Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26

Author Topic: King Arthur's Gold - Now on Steam!  (Read 56093 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: King Arthur's Gold - Now on Steam!
« Reply #345 on: March 04, 2015, 11:22:24 am »

Not everything needs to be faster.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 04, 2015, 01:02:11 pm »

After trying it out for a bit, I have to say that I like the sprawling fortresses of Classic more than the meager shacks there are now. vOv

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 04, 2015, 01:09:02 pm »

After trying it out for a bit, I have to say that I like the sprawling fortresses of Classic more than the meager shacks there are now. vOv
This.

And, honestly, gameplay actually feels slower now, in a perverse sense. Alpha was all about your timing and movements, now it's just a lagfest of knights poking each other while anyone with decent ping gets free multikills with their slashes.

Back in Alpha I went out as a frontline archer more often, both because I had things to do (arcing over walls to push defenders away while knights and builders scaled or broke them, destroying catapults too far back to hit from safety, &c.) and because the bow's range was sufficient that you could actually get into standoffs with knights where if you screwed up you'd have to run or die, and if they screwed up they'd get trapped or eat an arrow.

Not to mention the sniper duels. That was fucking amazing, trading carefully-timed shots with your counterparts on the enemy team, killing or dying solely on the basis of who had better judgement and aim.

Fuck bomb arrows. Fuck fire arrows. Fuck water arrows. Fuck the grappling hook. Fuck the idiotic three-arrow spray. Give me the old ballistics and I'll be happy.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 04, 2015, 01:27:12 pm »

Wait, what they did with the ballistics?
._.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 04, 2015, 02:08:23 pm »

Arrows fall much more rapidly than they used to. Your maximum range with the bow is maybe 1/3rd of what it used to be, and a lot of the old tricks don't work well anymore because the arrows behave like poorly-thrown rocks.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 04, 2015, 02:09:56 pm »

Arrows now barely travel one screen before losing all momentum.
This obviously dramatically reduces archer range.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 04, 2015, 02:18:00 pm »

From what i saw fire can be put out even by knights (that or the fire arrows have a chance of failing) also istone walls fall so easy that mining stone seems to be almost a waste of time because building a tower that's both thick enough (kegs and bombs) and tall enough (bombjumps) is so prohibitively expensive and time consuming it's just not worth it.

So most relatively effective towers i saw were wooden expendable towers jsut made tall enough to keep bombjumpers out for a few minutes before one smartass comes along with a keg and blows the entire thing to bits.

Fire can be put out with anyone carrying a bucket of water, water bombs or water arrows. They also fail to spread through certain blocks. That said, a fire arrow placed by an archer can do a hell of a lot more damage to their defenses than a keg ever would.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 04, 2015, 02:33:08 pm »

Except you have to almost get inside the enemy base to set anything on fire because the range on arrows is simply pathethic.
And most archers seem to carry water arrows to survive a knight attack.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 04, 2015, 06:01:38 pm »

Are you guys sure your playing the same KAG as me?

For one, unless its capture the halls or TDM, not many archers waste cash on water arrows.

Arrow range seems fine, basically if they can shot you, you can see them, which is better gameplay then having off-screen arrows hitting you. Then again, if you want to do that, why not go builder, you have 100 wood  without having to do anything at all - builder ladders up, gratz you a sniper tower that greatly increases your range anyway.

Gameplay speed changes are ... well, I can understand if someone hates it, I'm not the biggest fan myself. As for construction, it's really have a saw at home or go home and get one.

As builder and without and specific desire (I.e. if its full on blind assault, I just go right away - 3 stone blocks on enemy doors, 100 wood worth of ladders - can easily turn a battle), I normally destroy 2 trees and take the wood ( = ~700 wood <3 u saw), but also means that the re-supply cooldown has run out, so I grab the 30 stone form the inventory and let the tent fill in another 30 for a tasty 60 stone.

Mostly it's hybrid building, wood wood wood, some stone backwalls to seperate. So many people waste several minutes making one beautyful stone wall that falls after the first keg, bomb or bomb-arrow, while having a multilayer system upfront saves everyone time - time mostly wasted by minecrafters sitting in base fullfilling there dreams, but hey whatever.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 04, 2015, 06:59:44 pm »

Towers don't increase range by any meaningful amount. The arrows still fall off very rapidly. It was the same back before the nerfs, but it didn't matter as much because you had a viable range. All a tower really does is give you better plunging shots if the terrain is heavily cratered.

3. Run Resize Enable

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 04, 2015, 07:47:15 pm »

Not to mention the sniper duels. That was fucking amazing, trading carefully-timed shots with your counterparts on the enemy team, killing or dying solely on the basis of who had better judgement and aim.
I tended to play knight more than anything, but often had to switch to archer because nobody else on the team would. It surprised me when I started to really like it. I remember one time on that map which was two towers close together where I had a ongoing sniper battle. Lots of emoting, some talking, and a real sense of comradeship. So much fun.

I have to admit the stalemates could drag more than I like, and the archer balance did seem off at times, but it still does just differently.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 05, 2015, 06:44:28 am »

Are you guys sure your playing the same KAG as me?

For one, unless its capture the halls or TDM, not many archers waste cash on water arrows.

Arrow range seems fine, basically if they can shot you, you can see them, which is better gameplay then having off-screen arrows hitting you. Then again, if you want to do that, why not go builder, you have 100 wood  without having to do anything at all - builder ladders up, gratz you a sniper tower that greatly increases your range anyway.

Gameplay speed changes are ... well, I can understand if someone hates it, I'm not the biggest fan myself. As for construction, it's really have a saw at home or go home and get one.

As builder and without and specific desire (I.e. if its full on blind assault, I just go right away - 3 stone blocks on enemy doors, 100 wood worth of ladders - can easily turn a battle), I normally destroy 2 trees and take the wood ( = ~700 wood <3 u saw), but also means that the re-supply cooldown has run out, so I grab the 30 stone form the inventory and let the tent fill in another 30 for a tasty 60 stone.

Mostly it's hybrid building, wood wood wood, some stone backwalls to seperate. So many people waste several minutes making one beautyful stone wall that falls after the first keg, bomb or bomb-arrow, while having a multilayer system upfront saves everyone time - time mostly wasted by minecrafters sitting in base fullfilling there dreams, but hey whatever.

Yeah, my primary building design is stone meshed with wood - it saves on resources, is easily repaired, and a keg will often fail to penetrate through a stone-wood-stone wall unless it's at point blank. Something like this works great -

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 06, 2015, 08:04:08 am »

Also as builder you make stupid amounts of cash and if you saw down a tree or two you can just build a ladder tower, slap a archer shop ontop of it and shoot anywhere from 4-10 bomb arrows at the enemy (don't forget to jump forward to increase range) - and there is extremly little that can resist bomb arrow spam, especially stone doors which are very hard to destroy otherwise just vanish under them and since you have the shop right there you can fire arrow any supporting wood away, too. Often a safer game-turner then a keg run, but then again that is more fun.

Oh and basic tip;

You can stack unlimited Trampolins if you just walk up to it slowly and then drop the new one ontop, I normally use a setup like this;

Code: [Select]

H
    H
    H   
##### \
###### \  #
####################

# = ground/blocks

\ = trampolin

H = Ladder tower to jump off for the lazy

Just tap D when walking up and you can drop the (open'd) new trampolin in the exact same place as all the others, it just fires anything on it off rapidly and it is so much faster to do then the old Rail-gun-style stacks.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 06, 2015, 08:57:45 am »

PTW due to net issues.

This.

And, honestly, gameplay actually feels slower now, in a perverse sense. Alpha was all about your timing and movements, now it's just a lagfest of knights poking each other while anyone with decent ping gets free multikills with their slashes.

Back in Alpha I went out as a frontline archer more often, both because I had things to do (arcing over walls to push defenders away while knights and builders scaled or broke them, destroying catapults too far back to hit from safety, &c.) and because the bow's range was sufficient that you could actually get into standoffs with knights where if you screwed up you'd have to run or die, and if they screwed up they'd get trapped or eat an arrow.

Fuck bomb arrows. Fuck fire arrows. Fuck water arrows. Fuck the grappling hook. Fuck the idiotic three-arrow spray. Give me the old ballistics and I'll be happy.
Basically how I feel about Beta.
I loved Classic a lot more--primarily due to how laggy it was for Knights, benefiting those with low Ping.

I especially side with you on the orange part. It was a split-second matter, and a matter of holding your fire and not. Only very few people could really understand what we're talking about unless they participated in those kinds of battles.

Because dear goodness, dodging a really fast projectile, given the 1-tile space a nice builder makes for a door, and utilizing the game's gravity and projectile motion all factored into a one-second shot is extremely, mathematically fun.

Meaning: I can't play Beta, because of the lag. I've to be a knight to do much, given the...really lowered quality of the archer. :-\
I mean I remember the times where we had a KNIFE. That, at least, had a bit of fun in it, coupled with the archer's ability to stay prone and 'appear' dead.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 06, 2015, 09:08:35 am »

You do know you can still play classic/beta : ) ?

Sometimes I throw it back on, but the new version stuck with me. I'm on Kingdown.fr TDM right now if anyone wants to play.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26