Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26

Author Topic: King Arthur's Gold - Now on Steam!  (Read 56091 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: King Arthur's Gold - Now on Steam!
« Reply #360 on: March 06, 2015, 09:21:40 am »

You do know you can still play classic/beta : ) ?

Sometimes I throw it back on, but the new version stuck with me. I'm on Kingdown.fr TDM right now if anyone wants to play.
._.
I'll redownload it...probably by next week when busy-ness washes out. Though it'll take a lot of work here x_x that I'm looking forward to but arghhh bedrest.

While I do love the lighting system in beta and the cosmetics...yeah--appended detail to my post up there is the battles.

Thanks to FD's big post, it got a wave of nostalgia on me about how Beta has nice things...but Classic has nice things that did not occur in Beta. Or rather did occur but was 'nerfed' -.-
the bow's range was sufficient that you could actually get into standoffs with knights where if you screwed up you'd have to run or die, and if they screwed up they'd get trapped or eat an arrow.
...This so much.
And builders could fight as a last resort.
And the camaraderie.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 06, 2015, 12:33:17 pm »

And the huge towers reaching for the skies ;_;
They'd eventually meld into one huge sprawling fortress-complex that spans half the map.

E:
At this point KAG classic and normal KAG are basically two different games, really. I prefer classic, if you prefer what it is now that's ok :V
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 12:51:48 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 06, 2015, 03:19:39 pm »

While I do love the lighting system in beta and the cosmetics...
What did they do with the lighting system?!
._.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 06, 2015, 04:58:51 pm »

While I do love the lighting system in beta and the cosmetics...
What did they do with the lighting system?!
IIRC one of the main things is that there's now dynamic daylight; if people have dug out a big cave inside a hill, breaking open the top will light it up differently based on how far a given tile is from the surface, stuff like that. Also there are placeable lanterns.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 06, 2015, 06:13:20 pm »

Last I went on KAG Classic a few months ago the servers were entirely dead (as in no one was playing at all). It might have changed since then, it would be really neat if they did. Used to play Classic a hell lot 2-3 years ago when there were loads of populated servers.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 07, 2015, 04:43:49 am »

There's a single active EU server last time I checked.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 07, 2015, 11:28:07 am »

Really? Neat, what times are they active?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 07, 2015, 11:30:17 am »

It's up right now, ~24 people on atm.

3. Run Resize Enable

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 07, 2015, 09:53:11 pm »

I used to play this a lot when everything was like on Classic. Man, I miss those days.

After trying it out for a bit, I have to say that I like the sprawling fortresses of Classic more than the meager shacks there are now. vOv

What's up with this talk about value of building is being cheapened? I always played a builder and I loved building big forts with spectacular defenses. There were a lot of people like me and we all built together giant forts, like we were a hivemind and agreed on what to build without talking.

What's on the new versions that forced players to drop this and go with small buildings instead?

BTW I downloaded Classic but there were like only 5 people playing it.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 07, 2015, 09:55:11 pm »

Yeah it seems the EU server is only active when it is my morning, so I'l probably never get a chance to play classic.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 07, 2015, 10:06:25 pm »

Yeah it seems the EU server is only active when it is my morning, so I'l probably never get a chance to play classic.
Am GMT+8 here; hopeful to ever play Classic again, too. :-\

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 07, 2015, 10:12:06 pm »

Wow, you guys think the new version is really that bad?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 07, 2015, 10:15:59 pm »

Yes (Ok, not really. But annoyed at how archers are with giant darts here...and the mechanic of naval combat. And how strangely 'slippery' trees are for Archers.) In class and role focus.
Primarily due to how...imbalanced archers are, for me. Back in the Classic--it was 'balanced' in the way that the class roles may commit individually to an offense, and matter as an individual.

Here...it seems more limited. :-\

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 07, 2015, 11:22:57 pm »

I used to play this a lot when everything was like on Classic. Man, I miss those days.

After trying it out for a bit, I have to say that I like the sprawling fortresses of Classic more than the meager shacks there are now. vOv

What's up with this talk about value of building is being cheapened? I always played a builder and I loved building big forts with spectacular defenses. There were a lot of people like me and we all built together giant forts, like we were a hivemind and agreed on what to build without talking.

What's on the new versions that forced players to drop this and go with small buildings instead?

BTW I downloaded Classic but there were like only 5 people playing it.

Kegs (and to a minor degree bomb/fire arrows, but if we're going to be honest it's the kegs). Two or three kegs will completely topple one of the old eight or nine tile wide skyscrapers with virtually no counterplay beyond your knights just being better and more responsive.

One class is useless and never played, one class can only make minor and temporary contributions, and the third class is heavily dependent on ping because of the nature of timing windows in melee combat. Also, and I've pretty thoroughly confirmed this after going back and forth between the two several times, but block placement and removal is actually less reliable and more difficult to get the cursor where you want it than it was in alpha.

You know what I just did? I just played a forty minute long match in classic/alpha, almost entirely as an archer. Throughout that entire time I felt as if I was making meaningful contributions to the team, regardless of whether I was putting out spam at high trajectories to pepper a no-man's land that I didn't have direct line of sight to because there were three towers between me and it1, climbing up our main tower to lay fire onto their catapults whenever they came up, destroying two (including one set into one of those well-protected bunkers by very careful high-angling of my shots) and forcing five others to be moved into worse positions2, supporting our knights with direct fire from a forward tower3, killing off the builders expanding their towers4, providing plunging fire onto the knights and builders trying a direct assault on our towers5, or trading shots with and killing or driving off enemy archers6.

1. This is no longer possible.

2. Also no longer possible for multiple reasons: Archer range is shit, towers don't last long enough to be built high, and catapults have likewise had their range nerfed so nobody even bothers using them any more.

3. The 'support' aspect is no longer possible because of nerfed ranges. The 'forward' aspect is no longer possible because, due to the first part, 'forward' means 'close enough for a knight to bash your head in, and you can't even duck to disguise yourself as a corpse'.

4. You know the drill by now. No builders to kill because structures don't last long enough to become large, range is too shitty to shoot between buildings.

5. Holy shit, you can actually still do this one! Except that it's not as good, because I'm 95% certain you can't shoot through your team's wooden platforms in beta.

6. Guess what? Yep, doesn't happen any more, both because of your shit range and the fact that there'll be maybe one enemy archer, who is likewise too short-ranged to attack you and too squishy to get close enough.

And, with the sheer shittiness of archers in beta clearly outlined, you wanna know what? I still played archer more than builder. In alpha, your initial structures that you started working on during the prep time could still be there fifteen or twenty minutes in, scarred and much uglier, with traces of enemy builders trying to scale or burrow under them. By the time the match ends, the entire map is covered in these beautiful skeletal buildings shot through with doors, platforms, and ladders built by both sides. In beta you're lucky if they last more than two or three minutes past the start, and once they go down it turns into a mindless CoD-esque barrage of knight spam.

Seriously, beta is to alpha what all those shitty first-person-slasher knockoffs were to Mount&Blade Warband's multiplayer: faster, shinier, and both thoroughly thoughtless and incredibly one-dimensional.

3. Run Resize Enable

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 07, 2015, 11:26:08 pm »

You know what I just did? I just played a forty minute long match in classic/alpha, almost entirely as an archer. Throughout that entire time I felt as if I was making meaningful contributions to the team, [...]
Dear goodness, THIS.
This is how I feel compared to Beta. So much.
Also I agree with the above list...a lot. :-\
...Though on #6; you can trade shots but...it doesn't have the same velocity feeling. It's like throwing a dart and watching it slow down to go *plop* on a person.

In beta you're lucky if they last more than two or three minutes past the start, and once they go down it turns into a mindless CoD-esque barrage of knight spam.
Nostalgia hit me here again. :-\

I remember back in classic--skill and environment was an emphasis to success...well, more emphasized anyway. I recall one match where me and another clanmate were out of 'tickets' (lives to respawn) vs an enemy team. Me and him as archer + knight/builder took switching turns in holding the line or harassing strays to lower their tickets until we had them dwindled. Due to his architecture and the tree placement, we were able to succeed in winning that game against around 30 enemy lives.

Something that can't ...I find extremely hard to replicate in beta. :-\
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 11:33:37 pm by Tiruin »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26