Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Your most climactic battle in dwarf fortress?  (Read 19821 times)

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Your most climactic battle in dwarf fortress?
« on: May 29, 2011, 07:01:05 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is a great game, However some battles tend to be not as fullfilling as they should be.

But instead of asking about that I was wondering what your most climatic battle was like?
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Your most climactic battle in dwarf fortress?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 07:29:21 pm »

Haven't really had one. It's a bit hard to get excited when any potential threats become quivering piles of bolt-encrused gel 40 tiles away from your main entrance.

Edit: Wrong forum. Need to stop spending so much time under the daystar.

OT: Probably the 16 (ingame) days I spend venturing through the cavern network to find an exit after getting knocked off of a ledge at the bottom of a cave into the cavern proper, with no way back up. Had hundreds of encounters, including one where I was knocked into a 6 z-level pit by a Olm and broke both my legs. And the pond grabbers...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 07:32:22 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 07:45:08 pm »

A forgotten beast that breathed fire came up from the depths. I sent my steel armoured squad to dispose of it, but they only bruised it and cut off a wing. The FB proceeded to slay everybody in the cavern area and eventually, walked up the staircase. I had all of my dwarfs try to kill it, but they died. Eventually, I had a squad pin the forgotten beast down so some dorfs could escape. The beast breathed fire, setting the cave moss alight. The creature soon melted and the dwarves walked away with minimal casualties.

The fortress, however, had major casualties. Over 60 dorfs died.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 08:15:23 pm »

An FB with noxious secretions attacked me once.

The noxious secretion FB attacked my dwarves in the cavern, where I sent the entire military to kill it. Without a casualty, they cut it down easy, but on the way back up to the surface they started to have heart attacks and all died from internal injuries and burnt out lungs from breathing in the gas.

EVERYONE

FB's are so haxor.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 08:37:41 pm »

Well, in adventure mode, it was probably when I had this really cool world, and I would make a peasant character with high social skills, round up a bunch of soldiers and charge off to attack the demon overlord who held pretty much the entire planet in terror of him!
...It did not end well. :P
Damnit! Sadly, I couldn't find the screenshot I took of it. :(
My most climatic battle in Fort mode... Was probably when some clumsy hauler dropped a stone off a bridge I was building in the caverns, (Part of a plan to build a collapsible trade depot right over the lurking Beasts!) waking the aforementioned horrible, poison-belching beast. D: There was BLOOD EVERYWHERE... Dwarves being thrown around like ragdolls... I sent my military in, they all collapsed unconscious near-instantly. :( A bad day for Koshid.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 08:58:24 pm »

Here's my best adventurer battle.

I was playing as a dwarf and I found a fort full of Genesis mod civ-demons. I was immediatly fired upon by crossbowmen and I rushed into the fort to avoid dying. I killed all of the demons in the courtyard and made my way up to the firing posts to scout for other demons. They were also slain. I then went into the leaders house and attacked him. I killed him and freed two of his slaves. They rushed out and distracted several demons while I killed the demons. Without them, I would have been swarmed and killed.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 10:27:30 pm »

At which point you no doubt would've just used Alt+ctrl+del and restarted the battle like I do for all my anticlimactic battles. Anticlimactic of course being a synonym for Ohgodthere'sanaxeinmyface.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 10:55:49 pm »

One of my most reacent was when I was following a bandit killing quest, Me any my companions were charged to kill the leader, We arrived and we did a good job takeing out the minons, One was left and off to that side fighting an axe man then  the "Master" came, He tore through my two companions, Wounding them and killing one I ran to him and faught mangeing to cut his leg, However he cut my hand impearing its abilty to move. Un-luckly it was my sword hand thinknig quick as he went after my close to death companion I throw my shield at the bandit my other companion is fighting, It finishs him by hitting him straight in the head. While the other companion was rushing to help I grabbed my sword and between the three of us we manged to kill the bandit leader, I being the one to finish him by chopping off his head.

After whitch I burned my dead companions corpse as an honer to his memory.
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 07:19:11 am »

My first FB came up in an early fort, and I had no idea how the military was supposed to work, so I just threw legions of unarmed and unarmoured dwarves at it for several days (I think there was a single copper battle axe between them, that kept getting dropped and picked up again, only for the wielder to get killed immediately).

When all hope was lost, and nearly every dwarf lay dying or dead, redemption came in the unlikeliest of forms... a kitten. It scratched the beast in the brain from behind, killing it instantly. Where dozens of strong, adult dwarves had failed, this kitten simply marched up and won the fight in a single blow.

When trying to clean up the mess afterwards using a river, I found out the hard way how pressure works in this game...
[Signature]

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 04:54:01 pm »

My latest must've been with my goblin swordsman.
I'd been tasked with clearing out a group of bandits, and I did so with little trouble.
Then I met their leader. Axe master.
I attacked her once, she blocked effortlessly and then her greataxe tore my leg open through my chausses, and I fell to the ground.
Fortunately, I was no slouch with a shield, so I managed to stave off her frenzied assault until an opening presented itself, and I stabbed her in the gut.
Unfortunately, apparently that just made her angry. She renewed her assault, and things were looking pretty bleak until she unceremoniously fell to the ground from pain and blood loss.
I quickly stabbed her a few times in the face for good measure, then dragged myself back to the castle.
The leg was useless. All the nerves between the knee and foot had been severed.
I almost despaired. Then I remembered I'd found a crutch and stashed it in the nearby lair of a night hag I'd slayed (slewn?).
To cut a long story short, after a few days of training, the bandits of the realm were again terrorised by a little green woman in a black cloak - except this time, she had legendary crutch-walker skill.

TheMasterTurtle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a turtle and a master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 07:42:57 pm »

Me and my two compatriots were walking to our next quest when bandits assailed us. I was fighting the bandits not problemo when three lions came from nowhere, then a Night Creature FAMILY also happened to ambush us. I can say it was truly an epic encounter, I survived, but my companions. Not so lucky.l

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 09:19:46 pm »

I had a battle with a minotaur that ended with both of us with a full screen of red text.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 10:29:42 pm »

I had just defeated a mid-sized dragon, and got a quest to kill a bandit chief. I easily dispatched his minions, and saw him and thought surely he can't be that hard. But he was dressed in FULL masterwork silver armor, and wielded a masterwork silver whip. How did that happen?

The fight: Every move I made, he was stronger. Every turn I spent getting up, he would knock me to the ground with more bruising and wounding. Eventually I resolved to try to get a lucky hit at his whip arm. Since I was lying down, he made four attacks IN ONE TURN before I even got up, and one of them took my left eye out completely, the other broke my leg. However, right after that I managed to get that lucky shot I was hoping for, and sliced his right arm off with my silver two handed sword.

Believe it or not, the rest of the fight was similarly hard, as I could hardly stand up for long with only one leg. So I just lied there, backing away every step. He picked up various weapons from his fallen comrades and attacked me with them relentlessly, but just as I was near to a cliff face I could have accidentally dodged off of, I got up, took the full brunt of his unskilled attacks and lopped his head clean off.

Then I took his whip and all his armor and pretended to be him, while noting to the main human civ's leader that he was dead.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 03:36:35 am »

Mmmm, I remember two. First one was when I was climbing a volcano as a Kobold adventurer and became the first to reach it's summit. Then I had the bright idea of fighting a Griffon right next to the volcano's mouth. It tackled me and we both fell and ended up fighting 'till we hit the magma sea...and continued to duke it out until we both burned.

The second one is picking a fight in a town full of hunters/crossbowmen...while they are all around/surrounding me. I lasted quite a long time despite:

Couldn't block all of them, eventually lost most motor functions. Would have given them the finger if I could still move my hands...the bloodloss didn't help. Tried pulling an bolt out but DF couldn't take all the shooting and stabbing going at the same time & it crashes. So I ended up with Schroedinger's Pincushion...is my adventurer dead or did he survive?

There are more...but I can't rememberer most of the details accurately...
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 03:40:26 pm »

Mine was a series of battles that had some historical backstory (technically...). I was browsing through legends mode and found a person called Par Sprygrooves, who once defended her town against wave after wave of elves. Eventually she was killed, her husband too. To make things worse her shop was destroyed by a sasquatch.

After seeing this I looked into her town and discovered it had recently been recolonised.... by elves! I quickly created a adventure character and set off. I went to the town and slayed every elf there, and then to all the forest retreats. I managed to kill about a thousand elves, including lord knows how many high priests. I then embarked on the town, and rebuilt it.
Blargh.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4