Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Your most climactic battle in dwarf fortress?  (Read 19811 times)

Socrates1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your most climactic battle in dwarf fortress?
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2015, 01:11:26 am »

A fight with a forest titan.
A close second was a fight with like 10 dingoes.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2015, 12:27:39 pm »

My most climactic fight was probably my fight with my Legendary Hammerdwarf Bembul Whiptamed, The Guardian of Gills, with a Bronze Colossus called "something"Bristles.

The first encounter, I wanted to see if I could do ANY damage to it at all with my Silver Warhammer. I just dented it all over. Then it broke Bembul's hand, and he had to flee.

Between the first encounter and the second, I encountered a bandit squad of goblins attacking some villagers. I found one with a silver whip. Bembul took it off of the corpse. After becoming adequate with it, Bembul returned to the Bronze Colossus.

The second encounter was very short. Whereas the first was more-or-less me spamming attacks at its head for a solid 5 minutes, the silver whip cut through the colossus just like a hot knife through butter. If this was in fortress mode, I'm sure he'd be a legendary Blacksmith now, as he carved the colossus into a masterwork bronze statue of a giant coyote.

Bembul took it to the human lord that requested the critter's demise, and sat it down amongst the lords in the keep. They told him it was inevitable.
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2015, 04:29:15 pm »

@mincerind
I would have suggested slowly crawling around and biting the jugulars of all the unconscious people, then drinking the beer and dying.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2015, 05:23:15 pm »

Bembul took it to the human lord that requested the critter's demise, and sat it down amongst the lords in the keep. They told him it was inevitable.

Every. Damn. Time.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2015, 03:00:37 pm »

I just started my first new adventurer in a long, long time. Started with a bronze sword and shield.

My first quest was a bandit camp. I strutted in ([shift+s], select strut needs to be an option) and decapitated all of them, as they were sleeping at noon.

The ringleader was not in fact asleep, and was also armed with a bronze shortsword and shield. We proceeded to have a swordfight for half an hour of real time. Parries and blocks and dodges. It was at this point that I found he had two more bandits on hand, a spearman and a hammerman. Neither of them joined the fight. They sprinted up to a certain distance and stopped, apparently watching the fight and commenting on the horror of it and how unafraid they were to fight me, bro, they just didn't feel like it.

I decided that my shield skill was novice (dabbling at the start of this), and therefore less than helpful. I Captain 'Merica'd my shield at him, missing completely, then drew my large copper dagger in its place. The fight ended shortly afterwards with a multiattack that severed his shield hand and buried the dagger in his leg, hitting the bone and sending him prone.

His cronies were less skilled, and were dispatched quickly.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2015, 04:38:44 pm »

Every. Damn. Time.

Indeed! But it's okay, as 90% of the lords in that keep are vampires, whom Bembul shall slay in due time. Bembul will laugh at their pitiful cries as he teaches them a lesson in violence. Then tell them their demises "were inevitable."
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2015, 06:09:24 pm »

I don't know if its climatic but, this was easily my favorite fight.

It was back in 34.11 I was playing as a female human adventurer that I named Maria, I got a group of 19 together and I found a cave full of kobolds, there are dozens of kobolds, all 19 of my companions die, I'm surrounded and there are still dozens of kobolds around me, they can't hit me they cant hurt me and I'm killing them one by one, but at this time I was just a mortal, so after about 2 dozens kills or so and I started to get tired, I eventually fall over from exhaustion, I pass out, I thought this was the end, but eventually I wake up, one of my arms is permanently disabled, I then proceed to kill all the remaining kobolds.

I loved it, that fight is a big reason that adventurer is still my favorite, its the reason I name the first adventurer in every world I play after her. c:
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

forfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2015, 09:39:49 pm »

My most climactic battle was with a wrestler/striker character where I was tasked with killing an army that was approaching such and such a town. I get there, find a group camped out nearby in some towers, about 10 guys in total. It's broad daylight, but what do you know every single person there was asleep. I sneak around, head punch each one to death, (they don't wake up when you hit them even though the whole group went from peaceful to hostile in their sleep.) find someone with the overlord job title, take his head back to my lord, and find out I killed the wrong person. Since we never introduced ourselves, all I saw was overlord and assumed that was the guy. The sad thing was no one was even impressed when I bragged about it. They just said "it was inevitable" also my allies considered it murder so every time I talked to them from then on they said "let's not kill anyone today"
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 10:20:13 pm by forfor »

UltraMagnus

• Bay Watcher
  • More than meets the eye
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2015, 08:48:14 pm »

Hasn't actually happened yet, but I'm about to go fight a bunch of feminists and elves with my baseball all-star.

forfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2015, 10:31:57 pm »

That tends to be pretty anti-climactic. usually you can just walk up to the lord and behead them, and most of the time the guards wont really care much. If they do, it's just the ones in the room, maybe 2-3 tops. and if the lord runs away, then you get ownership of the site. A more interesting endeavor would be to try to take over one of your own forts, and see what happens.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2015, 12:23:15 pm »

Had an adventurer run in Doomforests save. It was at the city of DateTattooed. Amongst many ruined structures and abandoned shops, one could still find some inhabited houses, and the court of local ruler too. I was wandering at the outskirts of the city - I left an abandoned house behind, there were only fields ahead. The fields were 1z level down a hill I was standing atop. Suddenly a snakeman vampire attacked me. I took my iron great axe with iron shield and tried to kill the bloodsucker. For some time no one could land a hit at the opponent, but then the vampire charged towards me. I dodged back, and seeing that he had to regain balance after the charge, I sent him downhill with Hawkwrath. He skidded the ground with his body. That bloodsucker had bad landing for sure, since the throat turned into lump of gore and major artery was damaged. He quickly got himself up though, and furiously ran towards me, punched me in my arm, and then in the face, which made me unconscious. When I regained consciousness, the vampire was dead, died out of bloodloss. A few seconds saved me from certain death that day.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2015, 02:03:57 am »

Was fighting a clown up top of a dark fortress.
Threw a garden cress leaf at Competent throwing, and somehow made his head explode into gore.

He had METAL SKIN.

HOW.
thincake

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2015, 12:11:21 pm »

I remember one time I made an Elven Archer. I walked into this small hamlet looking for adventure and glory, and noticed an Axeman leaving a house. I asked about any beasts roaming the area, and there turned out to be a Roc causing trouble for the hamlet. I asked him to join me on my new quest to slay the Roc, and went into his house, and found a Macewoman standing around with a few other people. I bring her along too, more meat shields, y'know?

So we trekked to a few hills northwest of the hamlet and find the Roc in it's nest, and we started to fight it. I shot it in the arm and made it bleed a bit, and the macewoman broke the same arm. The axeman was slicing the Roc something fierce, but the Roc suddenly went into the air, and landed behind the Axeman. The Roc beaked him in the chest, and tore his heart apart. The macewoman started attacking again, but was decapitated. My archer, who was pegging the Roc with arrows from afar, had shattered it's wing bones, ran up to assist the macewoman in bashing the Roc. The Roc decapitated the Macewoman. I sprinted into the Roc's nest and waited until night, where I bashed the head in of the Roc with the Macewoman's mace.

I return to the hamlet victorious, and gained recognition of my deeds. I went back to the old house to see if any more warriors spawned, and found only children. Three of 'em. A twelve year old girl, a seven year old boy, and a three year old girl. I decided to ask about their parents, having a suspicion. It turns out that the Axeman and Macewoman were married, and had kids. I orphaned those three kids. So I nicknamed the kids as "ElfArcher's adopted kids" or somesuch, and retired the character.

I never played that guy again.
Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2015, 05:14:27 pm »

"Children! A vile fiend has slain your parents! Let's ask the local ruler where we can collectively seek vengeance, as a group."

TheImmartalRyukan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2015, 11:07:44 am »

I was playing Darkworld mod, I was playing as an Enchantress (female Wizard) I was fast Traveling alone (i know, i know) and was ambushed by FIVE Hammerlords (Dwarfs). I cast a lightning spell to stun one then I continued to bash the other fours' faces in with my staff. I then finished by shanking the stunned dwarf with my silver knife. I, a low level Enchantress, a peasant, took on 5 of the most legendary Hammerdwarfs... and won. I made it out with a useless left leg (nerve damage) so I had to cut it off. But my wizard is now "Superstrong and Agile" and I have a legendary crutch-walking skill.
The Immortal Ryukan, Head of House WhiteGold, Emperor of Riviera, Grand Mage of the Order of the Black Arrow, and multiverse traveller.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]