Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Your most climactic battle in dwarf fortress?  (Read 19709 times)

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your most climactic battle in dwarf fortress?
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2015, 03:43:41 pm »

A Roc was tearing apart my fortress (at the time I wasn't very good at air defence).

It collided with a statue of a hunter, and it skid across the ground unconscious straight inside of a cage trap.

8)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2015, 03:39:45 pm »

I think the most climactic battles I've had were against retired adventurers.
The best one was against an Axe Lord Necromancer; I was a Swordmaster so we were more or less evenly matched and also evenly equipped. He was the lord of a hamlet and I went through several of his men (and their zombies) before fighting the man himself.
The fight lasted several in-game hours, and basically consisted of both parties trying to land blows on each other, but being unable to due to the opponent blocking, dodging or parrying. More or less a matter of who could get a hit in first.
As it turned out, the Axe Lord was the better fighter, as he ended our several-hour fight with a single chop to the neck, instantly decapitating the Swordmaster.

Duul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2015, 12:50:16 am »

My latest adventurer who, after being put through what I like to call training from heaven (raiding a vault) and surviving, has become near godlike in strength and skill.
I decided that as an ultimate test of strength I would attempt to fight a unique demon overlord head-on rather than simply banish him with the slab.
The full fight is documented here: http://imgur.com/gallery/v7pmm, but for those uninterested in a detailed report here's a summary:

I, a vampire axe lord and conqueror of a heavenly vault, did battle with a demon from hell itself. It was a somewhat long fight with lots of dodging and hits taken, but eventually I crippled the demon with a shot to the foot. I followed up by severing his hand, and in desperation he clamped onto my head with his maw and attempted to tear my face apart. I quickly hacked at his head before he could kill me and landed a killing blow, cleaving his head in two. I dropped the slab I didn't need by his side and ran off to kill the next (and last) demon in the mortal world.

Gem Hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2015, 01:35:19 am »

Masterwork:
My last adventurer went to sleep in the wilds, and his party was beset upon by a warlock army. The adventurer eventually won with some of his party surviving, but everyone was too exausted to move so they had to sleep, only to be ambushed by bandits the second night, and Frost Giants while attempting to get away from the region. The Frost Giants beat them.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 01:38:57 am by Gem Hound »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2015, 03:01:21 am »

A Roc was tearing apart my fortress (at the time I wasn't very good at air defence).

It collided with a statue of a hunter, and it skid across the ground unconscious straight inside of a cage trap.

8)

Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2015, 08:22:16 pm »

One time I dodged into a murky pool and drowned in the first round of the fight. The pig got away, and I never saw him again.

It was riveting.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2015, 07:28:26 am »

Once, I had a titan made of water attack my fortress really early on. I only had my one guarddwarf from the starting seven, so I sent him out while trying to think up a plan B.
The guarddwarf walked up to the titan, roundhouse kicked it's head off, and went inside to get a drink.

As for adventure mode:
I was a swordsdwarf wandering through a (modded) haunted swamp when I got ambushed by three boogeymen. I chopped off the hand of one, then ran it through. I beheaded the second, and then sliced open the third. Just as the cackling subsided, I suddenly got hit in the back with a paralysis spell. I fell back into the mud, unable to move as a "n" icon scurried up to me. It was the severed hand of the first boogeyman! It crawled onto my face and suffocated me to death.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

ClorrProdigal

• Bay Watcher
  • My God! It's full of dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2015, 01:04:41 pm »

I once raided a vault in an evil biome. The angels were all giant elephant creatures made out of stone. I managed to kill one swordsman angel and then ran across the room to deal with an other soldier, an axeman, who had decided to just standby and watch me battle his friend. The axeman and I are about equal in terms of skill so the fight goes on a while when I notice the swordsman has apparently risen as an undead. It charged at us and then begins to attack the other angel. Seeing as this new angel was clearly the bigger threat, the axeman and I decide to form a truce and battle it together. After a long and arduous battle the undead swordsman strikes down my angel companion and turns its headless gaze towards me, during the fight it occasionally lashed out at me leaving me with only one fully functional arm, a few cuts and minor blood loss. That soon turned into only one arm and major blood loss. Refusing to surrender I continued the fight hoping I might get a lucky shot in; it was then that I noticed that the axeman had also risen as and undead itself. In desperation I swing my sword at the swordsman and it finally collapses, turning to the other zombie angel I eventually get in another lucky strike that causes it to collapse. Being fed up with this reanimating vault I decided to look for the exit and then retire my character in the nearest fortress. He wound up bleeding to death before I made it to the exit.

Haskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Iä! Shub-Niggurath!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2015, 11:27:25 pm »

I started in a pocket world where I appeared to be the sole survivor of my dwarven civilization. Every hillock, every fortress, was completely empty. Barely even any items, besides the growing crops and some leather clothes. Half of the map was covered in Dark Pits, and there was a necro tower adjacent to them. I (correctly) inferred that the goblins had basically decimated my people, so I went out to get some SWEET DWARVEN VENGEANCE.

Ran into the necro tower, butchered the zombies and chopped the necromancer into little pieces, took his book, and became a necromancer myself. I raised up all his fallen minions, and the old bastard himself, before taking to the forests and killing/raising every animal I could find.

By the end I had maybe twenty five goblin zombies, a human zombie, twelve or so wolf zombies, three cheetah zombies, two black bear zombies, and an animated head.

Promptly took to the Dark Pits and slaughtered more goblins than I knew could even be in those things. Raised every corpse my minions or I took down, and basically decimated their entire civilization, as they had done to mine.
Tell me, have you seen the Yellow Sign?

Burnup

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill until you can't, Then savescum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2015, 12:27:41 am »

Here are some I've posted before:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Otherwise recently:
Just tell her that you were merely doing what the voices in your head were telling you to do.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2015, 05:31:52 am »

...That third guy. Just... that guy.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2015, 09:36:16 pm »

D... do you mind if I sig this?

The... the only adequate comparison I can draw is to Doomguy on godmode.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

WisdomThumbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Drawing Meaning
    • View Profile
    • Wisdom-Thumbs on DeviantArt
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2015, 03:41:43 am »

My most climactic battle?

Well... my greatest adventurer of all time finally died in a last stand saving the world from Candyland. But that wasn't my most climactic battle. EDIT: I could have survived, but I suck at the combat in the old versions of DF and my RNG luck finally ran out.

I once hunted an elven warlord into the bowels of a fortress (the fortress and its basement were made of gold btw), defeated his army of master lashers, master bowmen, and master axemen, and then fought that warlord in a masterful sword duel to the death while my companions battled around us. But that wasn't my most climactic battle either.

Losing my adventurer's greatest companion 34 in-game years before his death? Now THAT was my most climactic battle. Had to put her down myself because she went werewolf. In the middle of a fight to kill an eight or six armed (I forget) armadillo devil civilization god. She killed that armadillo devil in hand-to-hand combat while she was a werewolf, then turned on my adventurer, and by then everyone else was bloody dead on the floor. And then he had to fight his way out of that city single-handed because he'd killed their god. Actually technically he only killed a few guards and a werewolf, but angry mobs aren't picky once they get the pitchforks and torches going.

It's hard to find the motivation to play Dwarf Fortress after all that. :/
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 03:52:47 am by WisdomThumbs »
"She'd lost her hand, her youth, and her husband. Her entire body was a maze of scars, and without her crutch she could only drag herself over the rocks. But Dema Beandeaths wasn't done just yet. She still had a long way to go, and that six-limbed armadillo devil godking wasn't about to kill itself."
- -- -
I draw things

Tilogour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2015, 12:58:27 pm »

I had cool fight with kobolds as a wrestler when I was unable to hold anything in my hands and stands on my legs.
(DF 0.34)
After a lot of wrestling and biting I died as a hero killed by a kobold bowman - Only he survived my angry and furious attacks

Mincerind

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2015, 12:05:04 am »

I'm rather new to the game, but I had an interesting/ climactic death in Adventure Mode!

I was set out to wipe out a small bandit camp made up entirely of wrestlers and the leader with a mace. My companions made short work filling them full of bolts but it was still 3 vs. 8 or so, so I had my hands full as the only melee fighter. I crushed one wrestle's throat in giving him a slow death, and knocked another out and left him to my companions before the macewoman got to me. We were evenly matched and my party was occupied, so she didn't need to worry about any bolts in the back as we smacked each other around.

Finally one of my crossbowmen had enough time to wing her in the arm, dropping her shield and causing nerve damage. Taking the opportuniy Armok gave me, I went about working her other arm. Before I could totally disable it though, she got a good blow on me and damaged a lung. This, combined with bleeding and exertion essentially put a timer on this fight. I finally take her arm out but the crazy lady apparently had great Biting skills cause she ate me up like a damn cake! Suddenly I got chunks of leg all over and my pants are a deep shade of red! I soon pass out and what I woke up to was sheer lunacy

Ten whole announcement pages of her and the wrestlers trying to punch or kick my head in, but my +Copper Cap+ blocks every single blow! I just kept scrolling through in utter disbelief that they couldn't hurt my head and refused to attack anywhere else. The leader eventually dies of blood loss but not before puking on my unconcious body. The most hilarious part was all the wrestlers PASSED OUT FROM EXERTION TRYING TO PUNCH MY HELMET IN.

So my guy finally wakes up surrounded by death and sleeping people with very bruised hands. I crawled away, covered in blood and bile. I found a nice quiet brook to bleed out and drink my last bit of beer before the end.
So ends Punchfist Fistfissure.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 12:07:10 am by Mincerind »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4