Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No fish in ocean  (Read 1101 times)

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
No fish in ocean
« on: June 18, 2022, 05:24:02 pm »

I embarked on 6 squares of tropical ocean (same biome but 1 square is in the F3 zone instead of F2, if that means anything) and 10 of tropical shrubland, all scorching. Naturally, my fisherdwarf can't find fish in the murky pools even when it rains, but she also hasn't been able to find fish in the ocean (only tried in the solo square since it doesn't have waves). I also haven't seen any fish show up yet though it's only been half a year.

Should I try making a fishing zone in the waves? I'm worried she'll be swept away.

I haven't tried fishing in the aquifer yet but will soon. If that doesn't work, I may try filling a murky pool with a pump stack.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: No fish in ocean
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 06:19:39 pm »

Fisherdwarfs can only find fish-vermin in waters that are linked to "water sources" (murky pond tiles, aquifer tiles, edge-of-the-map river/cavern_lake/ocean  tiles). The type of fish-vermin found depends on the biome being linked to and what vermin are available and still exist in that biome (see tropical in the wiki).

So, your ocean fishing may fail if you fish in an ocean tile that is separated from the map-edge (because you built a "fishing hut" to protect your dwarfs from albatrosses and built a grate for the dwarf to fish through, blocking access to the edge of the map). And your fishing in an aquifer may provide ocean-fish if the aquifer-source tile is based in the ocean biome even if it was never connected to the ocean. And you may catch ocean fish in cavern lakes linked to the ocean-map-edge.

Unless your ocean is dead (possible for an evil or inland ocean), you probably do have fish available.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 10:52:49 pm »

Forgot to say my fisherdwarves won't fish in the aquifer either, got caught up in playing. The ocean is connected to the map edge and it shouldn't be counted as an inland or evil sea.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 12:49:22 am by Double A »
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2022, 05:49:36 pm »

If you put a fishing zone next to an aquifer and 'o' 'z' 'f', you can force dwarfs to fish there.

Don't worry about dwarfs being washed away by waves, waves aren't strong enough to knock a dwarf off their feet. The danger of being near the ocean is that dwarfs can be surprised by wildlife and fall into the deep water.

Even if you dwarf is a novice fisherdwarf, they should catch something after a couple of months, else something is missing; maybe no fish are there because an evil biome is nearby or it is an inland sea with few vermin, or no access to a water source.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2022, 06:13:28 pm »

Ah, I didn't realize waves were harmless to dwarves. I guess they're just lethal to wagons, then. My dwarf is untrained, but I've gotten messages saying "there's nothing to catch in the central swamps/southwestern ocean." I do see that my original fisherdwarf, who went on to be my cook, is a dabbling fisher, so maybe they just ran out of fish really quick or something.

I set up a couple fishing zones, one in the aquifer and another on the sea. I just set it to zone only fishing - let's see if it pans out.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2022, 10:42:19 am »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2022, 11:27:08 am »

do you have any humans civs in your world? they tend to overfish, and after about 2000 years of generation there is often little left of the native fish stocks

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2022, 03:50:06 pm »

I have several, but it's only been 1050 years.