Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LMRH (Liberal Modern Robin Hood)  (Read 1738 times)

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
LMRH (Liberal Modern Robin Hood)
« on: November 05, 2011, 11:55:22 am »

What if you could gain recognition by a couple of other ways?

Suggestion 1: Take from the rich and give to the poor!
When talking to people, you'll have an option to try to give them free stuff. If they accept, You'll give them a random piece of vendor trash or some money and they'll 'leave' (Like they do when you seduce or recruit someone). Richer people (CEO, Corporate manager, Actor, ect) Would not appreciate it, but poor people would thank you and then go on to tell their friends about the nice liberals trying to help Americans. It would take some persuasion to give people free things, as some people don't want help. And others are too rich to care about it. It would be risky trying to bribe someone like an on-duty security officer who just saw you lockpick a door or a bouncer, but they could be bought out if you had high enough persuasion. Doing this successfully would raise awareness and respect for the LCS.

Suggestion 2: Intimidation!
When talking to any conservative, you would have the option to try and intimidate them. This would succeed based on juice, your weapons and/or armor, your strength, and your persuasion. You would say something liberal and intimidating (Hey punk, is high CEO pay worth both your kneecaps?) and it would turn out one of several ways; 1. They cower in fear, and your reputation (and respect?) goes up. 2. You actually beat them up if they don't cower. Would work like normal combat, but you can't run away (they still can) and there's only a percentage chance of them sounding the alarm. 3. They run away and sound the alarm. 4. You engage in normal combat and the alarm is raised. So you're thinking, why should I give people free stuff when I can just beat the shit out of them? The answer is heart. You have a chance of losing heart and/or gaining wisdom when intimidating. If you're trying to scare a police officer into not calling you out, you might not feel as bad. But beating up (and possibly looting?) random innocents conservative swine would make you lose faith in your cause.

So, what do you think?
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: LMRH (Liberal Modern Robin Hood)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 12:22:39 pm »

For the first one we need an ability to take stuff with you.
I plan to code it in eventually.

You have a chance of losing heart and/or gaining wisdom when intimidating.
Meh, nobody would do it ever since it's VERY dangerous for such a small benefit.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 12:40:20 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 12:46:44 pm »

You used to be able to take stuff with you. There are two reasons I removed that feature.

1. It was exploitable. You could walk into the place with no weapons and just equip your guns deep in the facility so you wouldn't get caught.

2. It meant having a persistent squad inventory beyond on-site actions, which meant lots of overhead managing what was in your squad inventory versus what was in your safehouse inventory.

Cutting it lost the ability to do things like bring alternate disguises or weapons, but streamlined the interface and suppressed a concerningly common strategy that avoided some of the game's interesting mechanics. Now you don't have to remove guns from a squad's inventory after they go shopping on behalf of another squad or the squadless, for example -- squad inventory just gets dumped into the safehouse inventory after each away mission, and shopping interacts directly with the safehouse inventory.

I would suggest keeping at least the benefits of streamlining like this. Maybe instead of keeping the squad inventory separate, you just make the car open up your safehouse inventory, and allow you to retrieve any items you need. Then have Conservatives react much more readily to unequipped items as well.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 12:51:46 pm »

Yes, as I said in the mod thread, I planned to have the CAR object on the entering tile which has the inventory, so you cannot exploit it as you said.

I will have to figure out how to make a car-level inventory though, just a list tied to a vehicle, but still... :P Hard enough for me for now.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 12:56:43 pm »

Yes, as I said in the mod thread, I planned to have the CAR object on the entering tile which has the inventory, so you cannot exploit it as you said.

I will have to figure out how to make a car-level inventory though, just a list tied to a vehicle, but still... :P Hard enough for me for now.

I would consider just having the car open the safehouse inventory directly. This leads some some consistency issues about things not disappearing when you lose the squad or car, but abstracting the question of what's in the car like that saves a lot of the overhead of dealing with another layer of inventory. As a player, do I really want to micromanage what is or isn't in the trunks of my cars? I don't think I do, really.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 01:01:03 pm »

Meh, nobody would do it ever since it's VERY dangerous for such a small benefit.
Then why do we hear about people interrogating, which can cause you to lose heart? Anyways, the point of intimidation would be that it's a conservative thing, and a last resort.
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 01:02:30 pm »

Because interrogating and converting high level conservatives can give massive benifits to you, whereas doing it to random punks is just silly.
*Hugs*

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 01:07:05 pm »

Because interrogating and converting high level conservatives can give massive benifits to you, whereas doing it to random punks is just silly.
Even if it isn't used, I would like to have the option. It could make for some interesting self-imposed challenges as well.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 11:53:52 pm »

For the first one we need an ability to take stuff with you.
I plan to code it in eventually.

Or, you can follow in the footsteps of that Elite Liberal Hippie, Jesus, and give them the clothes off your back.   :P