Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Possible to get a Tank?  (Read 15818 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Possible to get a Tank?
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2011, 07:25:36 am »

Depending on how good the program is, a fair bit. For a final program made by a bay12er that'd do what I'd like, probably $200 or so, which I'm honestly willing to drop before said program is very far along in development. I don't spend much money at the moment.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

ryacko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2011, 05:00:28 pm »

I'm not sure in the new version, but if this feature isn't in it, then it should:
it should be possible to mobility-kill a tank. Such as shooting out the treads, rendering it immobile.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2011, 12:34:51 am »

Depending on how good the program is, a fair bit. For a final program made by a bay12er that'd do what I'd like, probably $200 or so, which I'm honestly willing to drop before said program is very far along in development. I don't spend much money at the moment.

In the event it'll ever be fit for release of any kind, I'll release it for free. If the program is free to use, there is a much lower threshold for hobbyists and professionals alike to try it. I intended the program to be for hobbyists in the first place, and I don't want to charge money out from them. Eventually, I might get the favor returned as the general standards of fiction begin to rise :)
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2011, 01:05:09 am »

In the event it'll ever be fit for release of any kind, I'll release it for free. If the program is free to use, there is a much lower threshold for hobbyists and professionals alike to try it. I intended the program to be for hobbyists in the first place, and I don't want to charge money out from them. Eventually, I might get the favor returned as the general standards of fiction begin to rise :)
Now THAT'S an Elite Liberal business model! To hell with the evil Conservatives and their 200$ software!
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2011, 01:16:52 am »

Now THAT'S an Elite Liberal business model! To hell with the evil Conservatives and their 200$ software!

I was always angry about Adobe charging hundreds of dollars for Flash... a lot of hobbyists and indie artists use it. On the other hand, I think there are good and free alternatives nowadays.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2011, 05:24:24 am »

Actually it should need an entire squad to man a tank.
I think it's a good idea, and you should be able to repair whatever Conservative damage was done to the tank to make it a monument at the local small town Veterans Hall.

That being removing a spark plug or something. Which a higher up sleeper at such a place would be able to provide. You do realize that tank outside town hall is a functioning piece of equiptment minus one key component and possibly a tune up. Minus the tune up it's a malfunctioning piece of equiptment that can blow stuff up if it has bullets. If you don't have bullets it has a long steel wall poker (depending on whether long or short barrel {whether or not it's anti tank or infantry/position} and sufficient mass to crush whatever conservative object gets in its path.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 05:34:12 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2011, 06:06:46 am »

I was always angry about Adobe charging hundreds of dollars for Flash... a lot of hobbyists and indie artists use it. On the other hand, I think there are good and free alternatives nowadays.

It seems to me that Adobe's unspoken business model is to charge big bucks to people who actually make money off of their software (which is, after all, the target audience, and the people whose money enable them to make such good software), and to not flip their lid when amateurs pirate the same stuff. After all, today's amateur pirate is tomorrow's paying professional.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2011, 06:11:58 am »

It seems to me that Adobe's unspoken business model is to charge big bucks to people who actually make money off of their software (which is, after all, the target audience, and the people whose money enable them to make such good software), and to not flip their lid when amateurs pirate the same stuff. After all, today's amateur pirate is tomorrow's paying professional.

An interesting point! I doubt it would work on my product though, and I'm content even if people actually begin using it once it's done.

Dwarven WMD

• Bay Watcher
  • Amateur Aspiring Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2011, 08:21:02 pm »

There should be minimum requirements to even successfully steal the tank, besides actually getting to the tank. For it to be driven, whatever designated driver you choose should either have been a converted soldier/veteran, or have, let's say level 10 Driving and 10 in Intelligence. Why? Even for a liberal, who, without any previous training with a tank or a good amount of automotive skill/military knowledge/logical ability is going to be able to jump down the hatch of a tank, go to the driver's controls, and move the tank? I would imagine that a tank's controls are more sophisticated than a regular car's. I'm in favor of manning the tank with a squad, but each station should require certain skill levels to be operable by a liberal.

Here's an idea of what a tank's stations could be like if it had six operable (As in useful, not just riding the tank.) stations, along with some descriptions:

Driver:
Requires 10 Driving, 10 Intelligence
The tank is only mobile if there's a driver. The tank can be manned without a driver, but it will serve little use than an armored turret.
Spotter/Commander:
Requires enough leadership skill to command five people, though ability in skills used to run the tank helps it run more efficiently.
Cannon Operator:
Requires 5 Heavy skill.
Takes commands from the Spotter/Commander on what to shoot. Possibly this could give you the option of either assigning a valuable target to be shot at (A part of a building, another vehicle, etc.) or telling the cannon operator to fire at will, allowing them to shoot at enemies.
Machine Gunner:
Requires 10 Rifle skill
Sits at the machine gun and fires at enemy personnel. Has a risk of being fatally wounded, unless they're controlling the machine gun from inside the tank somehow.
Ammo Jockey:
Requires 5 Strength to load the cannon, 10 Agility for the sake of not dropping the damned ammunition.
Fetches and loads the ammo for the cannon and machine gun. The slower he is, the longer it takes to reload the cannon and machine gun.
Sapper:
Requires 5 Driving
Makes sure the tank stays in functioning order. He's also the poor sap who gets to climb out and try to reattach the treads in the event they get torn off, or kick the tank if it won't move.

The tank itself should have health indicators, with certain areas being vulnerable as if it were a normal entity. The weapons taking too much damage should render the unusable, while armoring that has been damaged too much will cause the tank to take more structural damage, as well as letting some bullets fly in and potentially wound the passengers. There should be a "body part" called the chassis that takes injury from heavy attacks, or when attacked after armor has been degraded.

And of course if you just want to be a pussy about it, you could use the tank as an APC and some of your Liberal Team Six units can ride inside and some can ride outside, and it can be used to breach buildings and as cover during sieges.
The Russian throws Steiner into a chair, screaming "I do not care about genetic research!"
The Russian pulls out a M1911!
The Russian screams "I am Viktor Reznov! And I, will, have, my, REVENGE!"
The Russian shoots Steiner between the eyes.
The Russian loses juice.

Madman_Andre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 05, 2011, 05:07:07 pm »

EX-TER-MI-NATE!

Oh god.

We need Daleks as NPCs so badly in this game. :D
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]