Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Possible to get a Tank?  (Read 15823 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: Possible to get a Tank?
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2011, 05:06:02 am »

I can see a role for stealing a tank where your entire squad gets in, you assign roles as MetalSlimeHunt describes, and play continues until you abandon the tank or it's destroyed. It would be a mess from both a balance and a technical standpoint if you have tanks coming home with you. (The technical difficulty could be avoided by making them just another character that rides in the car with you, but come now...)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2011, 06:42:22 am »

Perhaps the tank would be shipped to homeless shelter right after stealing it.

The Liberals set the tank on autopilot towards the Homeless Shelter.

Then, it would be just like a normal Liberal, with two caveats:
1. No squad members can go with it.
2. It'll run out of juice after 7-10 raids.

Every manning issue can be handwaved by saying it's a RC tank. It could also have a suicide feature instead of talking. And its very own set of intimidation messages.
EX-TER-MI-NATE!
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Svirfneblim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2011, 03:08:26 pm »

Stealing a tank = bonus round. You drive out the base in your tank and start destroying stuff. You attract more and more opposition - first just soldiers and police, then barricades and police helicopters, finally other tanks and anti-tank infantry. At any moment you got the option of bailing out and running. The longer you hold, the more you can destroy and thus affect the military issue.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2011, 03:10:11 pm »

The main problem is that there's generally really little incentive in going on vast attacks in LCS. You don't have to level the site to get the issue related to 100%. Some spray paint or a few murders is enough.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Svirfneblim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2011, 03:50:48 pm »

That's kind of strange for me then. I think it would be better if a single raid couldn't do that much.

Still, the tank bonus round would be lots of fun and it would be a chance to juice up. Also, perhaps you could get specific bonus achievements if you'd last long enough. For example, you could drive the tank towards another site and automatically get some sort of bonus like freeing prisoners or whatever.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2011, 06:51:08 pm »

Reelyanoob, you only need one person to drive a tank.

Most of the other people are required to shoot things with it (gunnder/loader).

A single person can (and has, many times) happily stolen a tank, driving over cars and stuff that get in his way. :P

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2011, 09:45:07 am »

Yeah but LCS members are tied into squads. Which is why we were talking about the different roles in a tank squad.

If only 1 guy is in the tank, then the tank will be limited to the walking speed of the rest of the squad, which means no 'joy riding' or running over cars :). Unless we want to assume the rest of the squad is trailing along on foot at 45km per hour. That's fine if there is a squad of a single guy, but he should literally only be able to drive the thing. No weapons fire etc.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:49:14 am by Reelyanoob »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2011, 10:14:57 am »

Maybe when you steal a tank you go into a sort of rampage mode that keeps going until you run out of gas or you run your tank into a barrier of some sort (as per your driving skill)

It is exactly the same as any other rampage you do normally.

The problem is that... Grand theft auto also does this... (the original that is)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2011, 11:23:22 am »

The bigger problem in my opinion is still that if a bunch of teenagers with cheap guns and a few days of time can swift the popular opinion to Elite Liberal, what's the point in stealing a tank?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2011, 12:14:51 pm »

The bigger problem in my opinion is still that if a bunch of teenagers with cheap guns and a few days of time can swift the popular opinion to Elite Liberal, what's the point in stealing a tank?

The awsomeness of the idea.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2011, 12:37:31 pm »

But for it to be intuitive and fun, awesomeness and practicality in stunts like that must meet! Having something awesome which is of no practical use will result in people ignoring it after the first time, and if it's only practical without being awesome, people won't enjoy it as much as they could!

Consider Assassin's Creed, a game whose developers had a clear goal of putting in awesome stuff with quantities of awesomeness increasing with each installment. Most of the awesome stuff is also practical - you have cool double assassinations, fancy counter kills, execution streaks, disarms...

In the latest "big" installment, Brotherhood, you finally get something that's not that awesome, but is practical. The poison darts. No one will notice you poison guards with them, so they're basically a very-low risk way of killing people or causing a distraction (the poison causes the target to go berserk before dying). Not really awesome, but definitely practical.

Another example, from the GTA series. San Andreas included one of the largest 3D video game maps as of then. To meet the requirements of a larger map, the game provided something awesome for the player: a wide variety of aircraft, including the Hydra jet fighter. Flying the Hydra in San Andreas was extremely awesome the first time I played it, and it turned out to be extremely practical as well, which further overflooded me with joy. On the other hand, GTA has a long history of practical-yet-counterawesome stuff like safehouses offering arbitrarily large amounts of ammo to the players who saved, picked up the ammo and saved again.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2011, 12:46:28 pm »

As resident tanker, I suppose that I'd probably be the person to talk to about how to go about stealing a tank. However, while I do have several preplanned tank thefts written down somewhere, I'm not at liberty to share 'em. If you can get to a tank without a crew or guard, actually getting and driving off isn't all that tough.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

TooBad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2011, 12:57:08 pm »

()

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2011, 06:07:49 am »

Strife, would you get into trouble if you told us how to steal a M1 Abrams? :p
Anyway, I think we all agree the way to get a tank would be to find an empty one in the army base. But the problem is that no one got anti-tank weapons. Should we had RPGs into the game? (Very powerful, but high chance of FF?)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2011, 06:16:53 am »

I dislike addition of weapons which may cause you to accidentally your own powerful Liberals. However, I'm working on a bomb system which would add handheld explosives (more than just the Molotov) with varying quality rates - highest rate wouldn't blow your own hands off, but could damage tanks.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8