Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Auto-reloading Marksdwarves  (Read 22273 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Auto-reloading Marksdwarves
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2011, 05:46:04 pm »

Depends on mineral scarcity settings, what the enemy is, whether ethics were modded, the architecture of the shooting zone, etc etc. I researched this marksdwarf thing with cheat free-metal and modded bolts (which do slicing damage instead of piercing damage and fire 1000 times faster than vanilla). I guess if I was to play vanilla with a moderately scarce region then I'd have one squad of my best marksdwarves armed with metal bolts who never get archery targets. Then the other squads would rely on wood (with underground tree farm if need be) or bone bolts for mass peppering (and live training). I would only send the metal bolts in when the situation demanded it, otherwise they'd be on standby.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2011, 06:11:41 am »

Im managing to get my marksdwarves reloading now by basically linking them to a lever :P

I expanded my pillbox barracks to surround it with bridges linked to a lever.  Pull lever, bridges come up, pillbox loses LOS and everyone reloads as theres no station/patrol orders in effect.  I built the ammo stockpile directly below the pillbox so I can get the whole squad loaded up and back on station inside of about a minute (allowing for bridge delays and the like)

Edit: I'll add a picture/diagram later
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 06:13:15 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Burnup

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill until you can't, Then savescum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2012, 12:43:04 pm »

Im managing to get my marksdwarves reloading now by basically linking them to a lever :P

I expanded my pillbox barracks to surround it with bridges linked to a lever.  Pull lever, bridges come up, pillbox loses LOS and everyone reloads as theres no station/patrol orders in effect.  I built the ammo stockpile directly below the pillbox so I can get the whole squad loaded up and back on station inside of about a minute (allowing for bridge delays and the like)

Edit: I'll add a picture/diagram later

Honestly, The patrol order is less (no) micro managing once set up. The patrol set up is a great idea, Psieye. Thank you.
Just tell her that you were merely doing what the voices in your head were telling you to do.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2012, 01:38:59 pm »

...was a year-old necro really necessary?

Burnup

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill until you can't, Then savescum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2012, 01:53:59 pm »

...was a year-old necro really necessary?

Well, considering there are constantly new people joining the forums..
I for one, didn't know about this. And I've been playing DF for around three years.
This is quite useful.
Just tell her that you were merely doing what the voices in your head were telling you to do.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2012, 09:14:02 am »

Well, we might as well be productive about it. Necros aren't bad if they actually contribute.

As a result:

CONTRIBOOT!

Yeah if you become an Ianuamaniac and plaster doors everywhere (I'm up to 2300), you can effectively control where your Marksdwarves have to be and when to pull back. It also shields them when they do, from bolts, deadly dust (cave in traps ftw) and line of sight induced madness.
If you fall into the problem where your marksdwarves stand away from the doors (so do nothing) - use traffic designations and a new order to make them walk through the doors. They will catch sight of the enemy, begin firing and once out of ammo, it's only a matter of door micro to get them to retreat.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]