Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma-safe dwarves, FPS, sacrificing kids to the volcano god.  (Read 3506 times)

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I got bored with my last, fairly successful fort. Pumping out masterwork items out the wazoo, dumping 20-30k value of stuff on the caravans just to get rid of it, etc.

Pop cap set to 100, current pop 151, 72 of that children.

FPS around 45.

Decided, let's burn it, so I build a bridge over the volcano, dump all the kids and animals I couldn't slaughter in. Too many babies, they ignore the burrow, pop only drops to 121. half dozen get upset over dead/missing kids/pets.

FPS 55.

Let a few goblins in, kill a few more, pop down to 111.

FPS 55.

Figure, screw it, I tap the volcano on every level of the fort. 30 die of magma burns.......... THE REST GO SWIMMING. Finally, after the fort fills with magma, they start drowning. About the time I drop to 15 dwarves left, all my non-magma safe stone has burned, dropping it below 1k stone. As well as all the cloth/leather/wood etc.

FPS skyrockets to my 100 cap.

So question, did my FPS shoot up due to:

1: Dwarves drowning in the magma,
2: Stone dropping below 1k units,
3: All cloth/wood/leather etc burning up, or
4: All of the above.

Did I mention they were swimming in the magma, until it reached 7/7 and they all started drowning? Got a screen on my laptop, will post it when I get a chance. No mods other than pop cap, and Phoebus tileset, if you want to count that.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Magma-safe dwarves, FPS, sacrificing kids to the volcano god.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 04:09:47 pm »

As I understand it, most of the fps gain would have been from the deaths considering you are cutting pathing calculations down to 50% or less of what you started with by killing off so many dorfs/animals.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 04:12:34 pm »

As I understand it, most of the fps gain would have been from the deaths considering you are cutting pathing calculations down to 50% or less of what you started with by killing off so many dorfs/animals.

I was kinda thinking that as well... Want to take a shot at explaining how/why they all died from drowning when the magma level got too high, instead of burning? A few burned, but most drowned. Strangest thing I've seen.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 04:16:37 pm »

similar thread earlier, "asbestos mayor", my reply:

Currently, dwarfs "burn" by their fat melting, causing massive bleeding. If the major had little or no fat, the little damage it did would have healed on it's own. Congratulations, you have a magma-proof mayor.

Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 06:58:39 pm »

Large amounts of item tracking also effects FPS, though on a good computer we're talking somewhere around 80,000 stone boulders to cause significant impacts

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 09:02:10 pm »

Coolness... Now the question is, reclaim, or regen?

2x2 embark, containing:

Volcano
surface soil layers
heavily forested
numerous shallow native gold veins
numerous shallow marble veins
numerous shallow iron ore veins
1st cavern 20z down full of water and trees

Seems like too good an embark to waste on a 3 year old fort destroyed by intentional magma flooding...

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 09:05:54 pm »

Coolness... Now the question is, reclaim, or regen?
No. Now the question is: Seed?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 09:08:13 pm »

I had a plan as part of the adventurer's world project.  I dug out some 16 layer deep pit, generating ~10,000 stone.  If I accessed the stocks menu, it took 10 minutes to load all the stone into the list.

I DFHacked it out of existence, and my FPS rose from 7 towards 75.

Raw item number is a serious cause of FPS drop, so I'd say that played a huge roll.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 09:15:04 pm »

I dared not access the stone stocks screen, and the game partially froze whenever I passed a jeweler's workshop, masons workshop or tried to build anything D:

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 09:21:46 pm »

Does anyone know if stone incorporated into constructions still affects FPS? I know it still shows up in the stock screen for some reason, which makes finding out what resources you actually have nearly impossible, but I would guess it didn't affect framerate directly as constructions don't care about temperature and such.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far