Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23

Author Topic: Kobold Appreciation Conference  (Read 85288 times)

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Appreciation Conference
« Reply #135 on: June 06, 2011, 07:53:47 pm »

My attempt at nagas proved that a very large creature can sustain big injuries from 1 level fall.
Makes sense, kinda.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 06, 2011, 08:02:48 pm »

Ever dropped a crundle off a bridge?  They're ants, they don't weigh enough to hurt themselves in a fall.  Ever dropped a giant off a dodge-me trap?

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 06, 2011, 08:05:50 pm »

Yes, I understand how it works in DF, it just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense in general.
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 06, 2011, 08:17:52 pm »

I build a trash dump storage cutebold care package house for them outside my fortress. I fill it with rock salt mugs, troll leather loincloths, and wooden weapons. Cute little guys must think they found the promised land.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 06, 2011, 08:19:07 pm »

I build a trash dump storage cutebold care package house for them outside my fortress. I fill it with rock salt mugs, troll leather loincloths, and wooden weapons. Cute little guys must think they found the promised land.
You do know what happens when people find the promised land, though, right? Especially when that promised land is occupied by other people?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 06, 2011, 08:45:22 pm »

Adorable ambushes :D

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 06, 2011, 11:03:08 pm »

Yes, I understand how it works in DF, it just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense in general.

It's the square cube law. Let's take an example: You can flick an ant off of something that, to scale, is the size of a skyscraper and they'll survive.

King Kong wouldn't even need to fall--he'd be crushed under his own weight.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 07, 2011, 12:01:34 am »

One could safely capture kobolds using a thin 2 or 3x hallway 50 tiles long or so with retracting bridges and drop them 1 z-level into cage traps. Just have it lead eventually to your artifact vault/stockpiles. Station animal entries behind windows behind fortificatons near the end of the hall, giving your lever pullers time to react and catch the kobold. After catching and converting them, use the kobolds as sentries and to man your lever-puller bunker, as they'll develop observation skill. They can capture their own friends! :D
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

HoffaSaurusX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 07, 2011, 02:28:46 pm »

I tried modding them back in, I added [no eat] and [no drink] but instead they just completely dissapeared from the next world I generated... any one get them to work again?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 07, 2011, 02:31:31 pm »

I know I tried to as well, but i haven't actually seen one yet.
This requires further SCIENCE!

Just have to gen a few dozen large worlds and see if any of them have surviving kobold populations.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

HoffaSaurusX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 07, 2011, 02:51:32 pm »

well I mean it wasn't to do with survival, I genned the world, headed into legend mode, and their were just no kobolds. Post me modding those things into them

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 07, 2011, 03:30:01 pm »

Well I can't give you an excuse because I have successfully genned a large island world on the first try, excluding the worlds that didn't make it into the history generation. It has four inhabited kobold caves with populations of 200 after 150 years (a good test time as the civs are nearly as spread out and involved with the world as they can possibly become), and numerous bandit camps run by kobolds.
I added the bandit tag to the entity at some point in the past. Probably doesn't have an effect on the ability of the cave pops to survive, though.

The islands map consists of one large continent and tiny surrounding landmasses. All of the kobold civs are on the main landmass and three share territory with the major races. The fourth is out in the middle of nowhere, all alone. Only civ in the south-east corner of the continent.
It appears to me that all you need is the [NO_EAT][NO_DRINK] tags and better luck than you got to have living kobolds.
Smaller, more cramped worlds may call into question whether or not kobolds are capable of avoiding getting their asses kicked by the other races or beasts. It was never a guarantee that everyone would survive world gen anyway, and usually someone doesn't.

But they're alive and adorably vicious. :P

Actually, after exporting the historical map and cross referencing all civs with names written in koboldly gibberish, there are nine seperate kobold civs. 6 of them exist within the territories of other civs, and one in each northern corner of the continent, plus the one in the south.

Yeah, they're definitely alive.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:44:23 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 20, 2011, 11:21:36 pm »

Just tried this myself; actually got Kobolds to survive as a race PAST worldgen!

Inspired by other ideas, I tested a few other tags out, and managed to make kobolds pets, trainable, and purchasable at embark.  I'm not keeping them that way for my world (just as pets, if I catch one; like gremlins), but it shows its possible.  Here's a copy of the raws you'll need to make it work.

Open creature_standard.txt

Find the kobold entry.  It should look like this (the bolded and underlined parts are what you need to add):

[CREATURE:KOBOLD]
   [DESCRIPTION:A small, squat humanoid with large pointy ears and yellow glowing eyes.]
   [NAME:kobold:kobolds:kobold]
   [CASTE_NAME:kobold:kobolds:kobold]
   [CREATURE_TILE:154][COLOR:7:0:0]
   [GLOWTILE:164][GLOWCOLOR:6:0:1]
   [LOCKPICKER][TRAPAVOID][FLEEQUICK]
   [PET][TRAINABLE]  <------- Add this to make them pets, and the trainable tag allows you to teach them to hunt or fight.
   [COMMON_DOMESTIC][PETVALUE:50]<---- This will let you buy them at embark; the value determines their price.
   [CAN_LEARN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
   [UTTERANCES]
   [BONECARN][NO_DRINK][NO_EAT] <----- This allows them to survive past world gen.  A must if you want vanilla kobolds AT ALL.
   [CANOPENDOORS]
   [PREFSTRING:mischief]

If you're having trouble with them breeding (you will, either as captives or as pets), scroll down a bit further until you see this:

[CASTE:FEMALE]
      [FEMALE]
and where there's a bunch of stuff about eggs, delete it ALL and retype [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE].  If you did it right, it will look like this:

[CASTE:FEMALE]
      [FEMALE]
      [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
   [CASTE:MALE]
      [MALE]
   [SELECT_CASTE:ALL]

This will allow your kobolds to reproduce in captivity.  It doesn't SEEM to impact their numbers in world gen, but I admit I haven't done much testing on that.  I spent over two hours today searching for a post to explain EXACTLY where in the raws you needed to add tags to mod these guys, and figured I'd post it here for clarity, and to help anyone that was having issues with kobolds.

EDIT: Despite being able to be tamed as pets, they WILL still have caves and develop a civilization in world gen.  I cannot vouch for a bug-free existence, but it seems to do no harm to their behaviors so far.  I'll continue playing for further testing, and I assume they will still assault you after stealing enough stuff.  I did this modding because the people in this thread convinced me that kobolds seem like a sensible dwarven pet:
  • They're small and unintelligent, but smarter than herd animals (sound like dogs, anyone?)
  • They prefer cave dwelling, making them a race that is comfortable in the dwarven realms
  • Their ethics aren't so far out of line with dwarven ones to make them impossible to tame and rehabilitate (since it appears ethics are based on civ, not race anyway, so domesticated kobolds would be totally in line with dwarves)
  • A creature with an eye for treasure, a defiant fighting spirit, and the desire to make it happen seems like the kind of thing that would make a dwarf's eye twinkle, once he disarmed it (and assuming nobody was killed by it while invading; we put down dogs that murder our own, after all).

I see them not as low as dogs, but like perma-children.  Dwarves like having them around as minions and the like, and treat them nicely, but regard them as too simple to be trusted on their own.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 11:29:40 pm by Urist_McArathos »
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 21, 2011, 02:31:38 am »

McArathos, do you really need the NO_DRINK for them to survive? I mean, I'm not complaining, but I'd like to make some artificial drinking spots for them, so they aren't too easy to have around.

Now if only I knew how to mod in Kobold caravans. *Strokes beard*
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 21, 2011, 02:33:15 am »

Now if only I knew how to mod in Kobold caravans. *Strokes beard*
Remove [ITEM_THIEF] or something.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23