Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23

Author Topic: Kobold Appreciation Conference  (Read 85316 times)

Alestom

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Scotsman
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Appreciation Conference
« Reply #150 on: July 22, 2011, 10:04:01 pm »

I have a few kobolds in cages, I pitted 15 of them against a Giant Badger.........*Shudders* The cutebolds didnt last 30 seconds.....
If I had my time again, I know Id be a fighting man

In far Malay or Vietnam, Though I am more a lover

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 22, 2011, 11:32:19 pm »

Now if only I knew how to mod in Kobold caravans. *Strokes beard*
Remove [ITEM_THIEF] or something.

I was reading up on this earlier, while searching out how to make them survive world-gen.  It's actually more difficult than that, since the game still sees them as, apparently "enemies by default" if all you do is remove that tag.  It's the same problem with ensuring you're at peace with goblins and therefore able to trade with them.  It can be done, but I've not bothered to try since I don't know when that caravan would arrive (either season wise, or years-after-embark wise), nor do I see kobolds as being the kind of society that engages in commerce.  They're scavengers that live off what they can steal or pry from their neighbors/victims; the concept of trade would probably be foreign to them. 

Even if it wasn't, all they have to trade is the stuff they've stolen from other people, hardly a reliable source of regular trade goods.  I could see them opening markets and being involved in black market trade (again, assuming they can even grasp the concept of commerce and trade to begin with), but I doubt kobold societies as a whole would PRODUCE anything of value in the amounts needed to run a trade caravan.  Perhaps a lone enlightened kobold might find there's more money in trading than thieving and eventually become a merchant prince, but I see that as an extreme exception.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 22, 2011, 11:48:58 pm »

Kobalds don't talk, they use utterances.  Any creature that doesn't talk is assumed hostile.  Also I'd love to trade for stolen goods, that sounds extremely interesting.  "Doesn't this cat leather cloak look familiar?"  "What, no.  Surely not!"

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 23, 2011, 12:49:15 am »

Kobalds don't talk, they use utterances.  Any creature that doesn't talk is assumed hostile.  Also I'd love to trade for stolen goods, that sounds extremely interesting.  "Doesn't this cat leather cloak look familiar?"  "What, no.  Surely not!"

Oh, I'm not denying there's a market for stolen goods, or that it wouldn't be fun.  I just don't think kobold society is the kind that would see the point, or have enough stolen stuff, to send annual trade caravans to hawk their ill gotten wares.  It just seems like it would make more sense to blunder across a crudely-built shanty where they've set up shop in a sewer or major city, or to make your way to the local cave where the kobold "bazaar" is offering whatever junk they don't want for themselves up for sale.

I can't imagine what that would be; the mental image painted earlier in this thread of a proud kobold father bringing home his filthy lucre in the form of a literally filthy piece of clothing was too hilariously fitting.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 23, 2011, 03:28:07 am »

I have a few kobolds in cages, I pitted 15 of them against a Giant Badger.........*Shudders* The cutebolds didnt last 30 seconds.....
You monster.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Alestom

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Scotsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 23, 2011, 12:08:08 pm »

You monster.

You think this is bad? Look at some of the idea's people for torture.....I have seen one that includes 10 children, a antman, a giant badger and a UristMc Lyemaker
If I had my time again, I know Id be a fighting man

In far Malay or Vietnam, Though I am more a lover

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 23, 2011, 02:51:45 pm »

I just don't think kobold society is the kind that would see the point, or have enough stolen stuff, to send annual trade caravans to hawk their ill gotten wares.
To be fair, we don't know how much they gather during worldgen.  I'd be very curious to know just how much stuff they acquire.  Has anyone actually stumbled across a kobold cave before?  Do they have sites?
You think this is bad? Look at some of the idea's people for torture.....I have seen one that includes 10 children, a antman, a giant badger and a UristMc Lyemaker
None of those are using adorable little Kobolds.  Dwarves aren't adorable.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #157 on: July 23, 2011, 03:48:57 pm »

I just don't think kobold society is the kind that would see the point, or have enough stolen stuff, to send annual trade caravans to hawk their ill gotten wares.
To be fair, we don't know how much they gather during worldgen.  I'd be very curious to know just how much stuff they acquire.  Has anyone actually stumbled across a kobold cave before?  Do they have sites?
None of those are using adorable little Kobolds.  Dwarves aren't adorable.

What's the whole deal with Kobolb's? I mean they're cute but theyre also annoying vermin. Its kinda sad though that now we only have goblin thiefs which are worse...  :-\
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 23, 2011, 03:51:45 pm »

Read this thread.  That's the deal with kobolds.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 23, 2011, 04:32:36 pm »

I have in adventure mode, back before the starvation issues, and maybe even only before the site update that murdered everyone except kobolds and humans. Early on there wouldn't be much stuff, but after 200-300 year worldgens and if within range of another civ, they could have literally thousands of items littering the ground around their cave. Same with all the mega- and semi-megabeasts.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 23, 2011, 09:50:01 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PURE GLORY
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 10:02:07 pm by Svarte Troner »
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

farecoal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 24, 2011, 05:19:51 pm »

"You no take candle!"   That's what I imagine kobolds as.
Tis a Dwarven Curse to wish Water upon thy enemies, something like "May all yer Ale Barrels run dry and yer tongue always taste water."

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #162 on: July 24, 2011, 07:37:48 pm »

I read that in the first run through the german translators Everquest 'Kobold' got translated to 'Goblin'...

When the translators hit 'Goblin' they then translated it into 'Kobold'...

Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 25, 2011, 12:38:35 pm »

Not surprising, kobolds come from German lore and 'goblin' is supposedly a derivative.

I've always hoped that Toady would have the kobolds eventually wielding cobaltite weapons and maybe even armor, since the metal is named after them, and it ought to be useful for something.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 25, 2011, 02:40:35 pm »

It's actually rather simple to get them to produce cobaltite metal. Just add a reaction that uses cobaltite mineral stone and produces a bar of cobaltite metal, which will need a new entry, and add it to the entity definition. I also modded in an alloy of cobalt and copper i called cobaldilium and gave it to a more intelligent race of Cobalds i also modded in.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23