Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23

Author Topic: Kobold Appreciation Conference  (Read 85227 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Appreciate Conference
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2011, 12:09:54 am »

This has inspired me to allow them back into the game. ([NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK] should do it, right?)
I have some love for them. I've always been a little fond of them, whether chasing them after they stole my +rhesus macaque leather cloak+, or lopping their heads off and battering their torsos to a mush in D&D. They're great scaled/furred/horned-dog little creatures. DF just hasn't been the same without them.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2011, 12:52:24 am »

Kobolds would be less hated and garner more sympathy from me if they didn't send (pathetic) assault parties if they stole enough stuff.

I'd pile crap up outside the fort for them to carry off for me if that didn't just lead to trap immune ambushers murdering my woodcutters and causing massive job cancellation spam (as well as FPS drain while they sneak around).

Everyone who thinks they are just cute scavengers trying to make a living is falling for the lies. The ambushes show their true nature all too well.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2011, 01:14:19 am »

All anti-kobold arguments are annulled.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2011, 07:00:02 am »

I like Kobolds and think it's a shame I can only be hostile with them. :(
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
KOBOLD COMMANDO HUAH.

The only thing weaker than the Goblins you find in Irenicus' lair.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2011, 09:21:41 am »

Saying they are trying to make a decent living for themselves is a gigantic lie. The ambushes they send clearly shows they are greedy vermin hellbent on getting themselves killed in some dark hole in the farthest reaches of the planet.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2011, 09:59:50 am »

Saying they are trying to make a decent living for themselves is a gigantic lie. The ambushes they send clearly shows they are greedy vermin hellbent on getting themselves killed in some dark hole in the farthest reaches of the planet.
Elves?

Anyways, I am famous for my magma obsession. Kobolds are one of the few things I do not magma as soon as they are visible. As someone else said, they're a good dwarven pet!

Part of the appeal of kobolds is their danger and mischievous ways.  We are dwarves.  We slaughter kittens on sight and we toss live puppies to their deaths in our dining halls.  We take the sneaking kobold thieves, with daggers known to slice through steel boots, and we adore them.  They are small, mostly vicious, and adorable by no fault of their own.  They are the ultimate dwarven pet.  We adore them like a mother adores her prankster child.  She smiles as he attempts to sneak the cookie jar away - not just a cookie but the whole jar.  They have such grand dreams, such desire to steal that one more masterpiece bolt, and yet are considered an adorable nuisance.  It's like having an infestation of koala bears.  Yes, they're eating all your food and pooping on the floor, but if you ever got your hands on one you'd cuddle it.

Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2011, 10:09:28 am »

To me Kobolds will always diminutive mischievious/industrious germanic house sprites that though invisible can manifest in a plethora of ways...

What?  Oh, a "Dwarfy" answer you want is it?

Fine, fine... sigh.  Kobolds are smallish scavengers often found encrusted with obsidian.  Or hanging limply from a Wardog's jaws indistinguishable from a chew toy.  Only occasionally are they spotted with a multitude of wooden bolts piercing them as they pretend to be archery targets.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2011, 10:43:45 am »

I saw kobolds only in Legends. They are so rare they should be put on Endangered Animal List. And kept in cages and zoos, so children could learn how they look.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2011, 10:46:37 am »

I saw kobolds only in Legends. They are so rare they should be put on Endangered Animal List. And kept in cages and zoos, so children could learn how they look.
Indeed.

And for once it's not because of dwarves.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2011, 10:46:57 am »

They should be on the Extinct Animal list.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2011, 10:55:47 am »

Wait how long does a kobold live? Barring hunger, dehydration and someone swinging an axe, of course.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2011, 10:56:53 am »

Wait how long does a kobold live? Barring hunger, dehydration and someone swinging an axe, of course.
Enough to escape from a troglodyte attack. In region 7, anyway.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2011, 11:04:55 am »

Technically they are not extinct yet in any of my worlds, the biggest total population being around 50 (in 1000+ years old world). But they are so far away that even dwarves are unable to remove them completely. Also it is possible there are no breeding pairs (for example only males or only females in one group) so they would be practically extinct. And of course, so limited number means a degeneration, their gene pool is too small to prevent this. It's only a matter of time...

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2011, 11:16:49 am »

Technically they are not extinct yet in any of my worlds, the biggest total population being around 50 (in 1000+ years old world). But they are so far away that even dwarves are unable to remove them completely. Also it is possible there are no breeding pairs (for example only males or only females in one group) so they would be practically extinct. And of course, so limited number means a degeneration, their gene pool is too small to prevent this. It's only a matter of time...
This is why we need to stick together and help them in these hard times.

Build a bridge going across the ocean to an island with multiple forts, and abandon them. Kill all the natives. Go in adventurer and have all the kobolds follow you. Then, go across the bridge to freedom!

Isolate all the Kobolds there by destroying the bridge. That way, no humans/elves can rape them.  :)

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2011, 11:22:38 am »

Yeah, I have a kobold conservation project going on in my forts usually.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23