Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23

Author Topic: Kobold Appreciation Conference  (Read 84800 times)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Appreciate Conference
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 02:40:15 am »

[PREFSTRING:extinct status]
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 06:25:08 pm »

Everywhere seems to have reptilian Kobolds. Bah, to me Kobolds will always be bipedal horned dogs, as encountered in Baldur's Gate...

Being a long-time D and D player (1983) I am inclined to agree on this.  Kobolds will always look like little horned dog men to me.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 08:42:17 pm »

Kobolds will always be a race of anthropomorphic dogs for me since my initial exposure to them are from Record of the Lodoss Wars, Ragnarok online and the Suikoden games.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...Oh, and I also try to go and support the underdogs anytime I can (pun slightly intended).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 08:51:06 pm by Kobold Troubadour »
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 08:48:47 pm »

I can't wait for army arc.  When we get to send armies and traders to other nations, kobolds will become interesting!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 09:16:17 pm »

I can't wait for army arc.  When we get to send armies and traders to other nations, kobolds will become interesting!
"Hello, Kobold! What do you have to offer?"
"Your -Copper swords-. What do you have?"
"YO MOMMA!"

Horizonblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 09:19:39 pm »

Ah, Kobolds, their like the dim cousin we always cheer on!
Yes, he's eating rocks, but look how happy it makes him!

Honestly, I love kobolds and cutebolds.  Ever since the appeared on /tg/ I went 'daww.'
Only problem is they are so stabby sometimes.  Oh well, more copper dagger for me!

Oddly, a friend of mine once modded in that they had litters of 3-4 when they bred, and for about two hundred years a giant mass of kobolds just swamped the world.  Then all the nations of the world turned hostile, and the poor little blighters were squished.
They are still out there, in a massive mob.
Wish I could adopt some, let them build a village in the back.
When in doubt:  More Lever!

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 10:26:36 pm »

What, are kobolds now some kind of fluffy wambler? We're DWARVES, we don't do "d'aww" and "cutebold", we kill them in a variety of brutal ways and rip their large copper daggers from their still warm, charred remains!
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 10:37:04 pm »

Ah, Kobolds, their like the dim cousin we always cheer on!
Yes, he's eating rocks, but look how happy it makes him!

Honestly, I love kobolds and cutebolds.  Ever since the appeared on /tg/ I went 'daww.'
Only problem is they are so stabby sometimes.  Oh well, more copper dagger for me!

Oddly, a friend of mine once modded in that they had litters of 3-4 when they bred, and for about two hundred years a giant mass of kobolds just swamped the world.  Then all the nations of the world turned hostile, and the poor little blighters were squished.
They are still out there, in a massive mob.
Wish I could adopt some, let them build a village in the back.
Cage them, and build a walled community. Throw in a heap of meat every once in a while to keep them happy.

Add [PET] so you can tame them and have them be integrated members of the community! They won't work, but they'll live happily ever after :3

What, are kobolds now some kind of fluffy wambler? We're DWARVES, we don't do "d'aww" and "cutebold", we kill them in a variety of brutal ways and rip their large copper daggers from their still warm, charred remains!
Kobolds are one of the few things I don't magma immediately. Fluffy wamblers are fair game though  ;)

Besides, their copper isn't worth much (What? 0.1 bar of just copper?) and no one wants to wear their loincloths... (do you want to wear torn up, used, urine soaked, loincloths?)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2011, 10:39:57 pm »

Kobolds are hard to describe, in DF terms. They'd always been a favorite of mine, partly because they're so pathetic, making them somewhat cute and incapable of actually being badasses, but great characters anyway. I find it interesting now that they're egg-layers. They still have their mammalian traits (beards in males, skin and not scales, the skin even wrinkles with age), so they're monotremes now. I absolutely loved kobold quest I and II.
I always mod them at least a little bit, and I duplicated them for one of my mods.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 11:20:24 pm »

Poor little guys are just trying to eke out a living amongst the much larger and waaay more powerful civs.  They live on the edges in little mud huts and steal scraps of leather and copper for a living.

Koboldlings: "Daddy what you bring us today?!"
Kobold thief: "Daddy find ... LEATHER LOINCLOTH!"
Koboldlings: "HOORAY!"

*daddy kobold beams at his little kobold kids who are now playing happily with a dirty, smudged, raggedy old smelly dwarf loincloth*

Although in most cases it ends up like this:

Koboldlings: "Mommy, when daddy come back with new toys?"
Kobold mom: "Mommy not know.  Daddy been gone long time."
Koboldlings: "We miss daddy and toys."

Meanwhile

Kobold Thief: "Urrkkkk!" dies by being mauled by a war dog
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 11:29:48 pm »

Still filthy thieves. No wonder my dwarves always kicked their bloody heads in. You want to have something to eat? I'm having enough spare. You need some items? I've got enough low-value crap that I'd give away for free if you'd just haul it away. You want my best artifacts?

!!FLIP YOU!!

(toadedit - giant profanity amended)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 07:28:57 pm by Toady One »
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2011, 11:31:41 pm »

Part of the appeal of kobolds is their danger and mischievous ways.  We are dwarves.  We slaughter kittens on sight and we toss live puppies to their deaths in our dining halls.  We take the sneaking kobold thieves, with daggers known to slice through steel boots, and we adore them.  They are small, mostly vicious, and adorable by no fault of their own.  They are the ultimate dwarven pet.  We adore them like a mother adores her prankster child.  She smiles as he attempts to sneak the cookie jar away - not just a cookie but the whole jar.  They have such grand dreams, such desire to steal that one more masterpiece bolt, and yet are considered an adorable nuisance.  It's like having an infestation of koala bears.  Yes, they're eating all your food and pooping on the floor, but if you ever got your hands on one you'd cuddle it.

Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2011, 11:44:43 pm »

Wish toady would allow captured Kobolds to be able to use nest boxes. They always reminded me of gully dwarves, not too bright, but full of enthusiasm. In the raws, they do have skills, but few.
 Since I have been playing, have been committed to catch and release for them. They are just pests, like a yapping neighbors poodle.
 "Captain Bomreck, the kobolds are at the gates again, yammering."
 "Do what we usually do, fire some training bolts at them, and throw down a piece of tallow to keep them happy, so they will leave."
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2011, 11:49:29 pm »

I think it would be interesting if you could enslave captured kobolds. Make them do menial labor, in return you can let them go or make their lives nice inside a Dwarven fortress.

Of course, when you release them they will probably get mauled by deer or something and bleed out right before they reach the map edge with a trail of intestines dragging behind them.

Other than that, they're not bad. I would gladly accept them into my communities if they didn't constantly try to steal shit.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 12:01:35 am »

I think it would be interesting if you could enslave captured kobolds. Make them do menial labor, in return you can let them go or make their lives nice inside a Dwarven fortress.

Yes. Same with POWs of other races, I'd support exactly the same idea. As long as it isn't possible: I see no other solution then genocide. (lifelong imprisoment equals death sentence in my eyes)

And to the other, undwarven lot? What the armok, NEST BOXES?! I swear you're all part of an Elf conspiracy, that's what you are! One day, when our armed forces are out in the field, chasing socks fighting elves we will all wake up with a -copper large dagger- in our throats! I DEMAND a weapon rack in my sleeping room! Produce more steel battle axes! Kill the pro-elf rebels!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23