Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23

Author Topic: Kobold Appreciation Conference  (Read 84807 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Appreciate Conference
« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2011, 03:48:35 am »

1) Kobolds are only able to avoid traps while sneaking.  A visible kobold is treated like any regular enemy.  It's also not guaranteed to avoid traps, you'll sometimes have them trigger a weapon trap without being spotted.  Either way, a guard dog or Animal Powered Watchtower (see my signature) with cage traps further away from it, means that the thief gets detected, loses immunity, and runs outwards and into a cage trap he just snuck over.

2) When eggs were introduced, all wild animals would claim nest boxes.  This resulted in hilarity as crundles and wild turkey would rush through your heavily fortified base, causing all your civilians to panic because there's wild animals running through the halls, and then kill all your livestock and claim your nests.  It also resulted in less hilarious (to the victim) moments where cave crocs would run through your fort, slaughtering all your legendary workers as they passed through the dining hall on the way to the surface where you had your nests tucked away.  Kobolds, under the same type of imperative, would immediately seek out an empty nest box as soon as they entered the map, thus making the perfect kobold trap nothing more than a nest behind a cage.

This has been fixed, and currently egg-laying wild animals will not claim a nest at all.  This is a problem, as it means egg-laying animals will never breed until tamed.  The Mermaid Farm from days of yore is impossible, nor can you breed wild crundles to train your militia against.  I consider this a stop-gap measure to prevent cave croc invasions, but clearly wild animals have reproduced just fine without carefully lain nest boxes.

Either way, you cannot have them as domestic animals AND as a civ, the [PET] token causes strangeness when used with civ creatures.  They will breed, however, as I have experienced elves in captivity breeding just fine, though I can't recall if these were [PET] elves or vanilla.  Either way, it's possible without breaking the game, to breed captured kobolds.

tabaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2011, 07:52:54 am »

It just occured to me that when the new release comes out. We could mod lycanthropy to make a were-kobolds Syndrome and give kobolds the abillity to infect other races with it via bite so we can have  more kobold madness as once a month your dwarves turn into were-kobolds and nick-off with your most expensive stuff.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2011, 07:54:37 am »

I see 3 pictures with goblins, but they all have a kobold as well.
I'm specifically refering to this one, which has zero Kobolds in it:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But again, I'm not trying to give ya grief, just pointin it out.
Ah, you're right. So what do you people think, should I delete it from the album, or is it sufficiently cute to be left there?
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2011, 09:03:20 am »

I have a passing enjoyment of kobolds (I find it amusing how they just don't  see the same sense of value as dwarves) but just have to mention on that picture dump... some of those are disturbing, and others are painfully adorable.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2011, 10:39:53 am »

I suggest you put your -cat leather gloves- back on and get back to building your drowning chamber, son.  If you may be disturbed even after playing DF, then you're not playing it right.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2011, 12:30:20 pm »

How do I go about checking the Kobold population? I want to see if there are even any Kobolds left in my world.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2011, 12:37:32 pm »

How do I go about checking the Kobold population? I want to see if there are even any Kobolds left in my world.
Legends Viewer is good for that, though if you haven't modded them to be NO_EAT and NO_DRINK then an overwhelming majority of them must've starved to death.

So, no opinions on the goblin pic? I'm thinking about deleting it.
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 04, 2011, 12:52:41 pm »

I can't get the Legends Viewer to work, and it looks so cool :<

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 04, 2011, 12:58:06 pm »

I found the raws for Kobolds.

How do I give them scaled skin or something similar? Giving them an insect-like exoskeleton could also work...

I've always imagined Kobolds as large insect or reptilian creatures. Bipedal, of course, but still reprilian/insectoid.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 04, 2011, 03:20:10 pm »

I'd suggest looking at dragon raws in the same file. Here's what I think is needed
Also you have to change throat major artery declaration like this
Look for other mentions of skin and change them to scale if there are any.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2011, 04:40:53 pm »

Ah, you're right. So what do you people think, should I delete it from the album, or is it sufficiently cute to be left there?

I say leave it, just mark it as gobbo.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 05, 2011, 08:55:11 am »

Added 17 more images, among them "inappropriate jirbis" and "key board on head".
The link again is http://photobucket.com/cutebolds
The password is password

I also stole the kobold troubadour avatar from one of bay12 forumgoers for group pic.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 05, 2011, 11:23:18 am »

Added 17 more images, among them "inappropriate jirbis" and "key board on head".
The link again is http://photobucket.com/cutebolds
The password is password

I also stole the kobold troubadour avatar from one of bay12 forumgoers for group pic.

So much fan service...

But this one is my favorite :

It pretty much explains where are kobolds situated on the scale of respect, aka between "unwanted trash remover" and "no better than vermin". And the elf's and dwarf's "oh god why must trash sit at our table ?" expression is priceless.

Audioworm333

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: weirdness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 05, 2011, 07:26:28 pm »

Poor little guys are just trying to eke out a living amongst the much larger and waaay more powerful civs.  They live on the edges in little mud huts and steal scraps of leather and copper for a living.

Koboldlings: "Daddy what you bring us today?!"
Kobold thief: "Daddy find ... LEATHER LOINCLOTH!"
Koboldlings: "HOORAY!"

*daddy kobold beams at his little kobold kids who are now playing happily with a dirty, smudged, raggedy old smelly dwarf loincloth*

Although in most cases it ends up like this:

Koboldlings: "Mommy, when daddy come back with new toys?"
Kobold mom: "Mommy not know.  Daddy been gone long time."
Koboldlings: "We miss daddy and toys."

Meanwhile

Kobold Thief: "Urrkkkk!" dies by being mauled by a war dog

:'(
Just..
 :'(
(I tend to be a little sensitive. :P)
I didn't really understand why I died until I discovered I was teleporting my own spine into my enemies' body as a primary way of attack.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23