Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23

Author Topic: Kobold Appreciation Conference  (Read 85832 times)

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Appreciation Conference
« Reply #165 on: July 25, 2011, 06:01:09 pm »

My favourite is still this one
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's so sweet!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 25, 2011, 11:05:10 pm »

It's so sweet!
D'AWWWWWWWWW!

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 30, 2011, 03:20:27 pm »

There was one story-- that I suspect is did not have a game, but if it did would be 40d-- involving a single kobold running past innumerable traps, war dogs, civilians, military dwarves, and their weapons (flying crossbow bolts, axes, swords...) all the way to the throne room where he stole the king's pants. Then that kobold ran all the way back through all those chasing him and the other defenses to exit the map with his prize; completely unharmed.
 The part that had made it so great was the description, but I cannot recall it in detail, nor can I find it in the search.

Yes, I understand how it works in DF, it just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense in general.
Aside from the cube-law mentioned, haven't you heard the saying "the bigger they are, the harder they fall"? It's one of those things you can even feel as you grow up: when you're young, falling on your face just means getting back up; when you're pushing six feet, falling on your face means a broken nose, blood, and possibly a concusion.
I've always hoped that Toady would have the kobolds eventually wielding cobaltite weapons and maybe even armor, since the metal is named after them, and it ought to be useful for something.
The problem is cobaltite was named such simply because it's so fiendishly hard to smelt into anything useful; thrice because of the sparce amounts of ore, because of the odd process, and because of the poisons released when attempted the two former.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 30, 2011, 06:30:23 pm »

I've modded kobolds to be playable by me, but I haven't found any kobold civs. I'm either gonna have to stop world gen before year 4 or mod in [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK]. I'll do the former.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 30, 2011, 06:55:05 pm »

It's so sweet!
That is beautiful, I must say.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 31, 2011, 08:29:18 am »

I've modded kobolds to be playable by me, but I haven't found any kobold civs. I'm either gonna have to stop world gen before year 4 or mod in [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK]. I'll do the former.
the no_eat solution works quite well, if you remember to take it off after worldgen.  ive been working with goblins, and as carnivores, they have the no_eat and drink tags by default.   
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 31, 2011, 10:27:58 am »

What happens if I don't remove the tags? And where do I put them?

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 31, 2011, 01:00:14 pm »

I love the way the constantly scare my dwarves away from collecting goblinite.
I also love the way they clog up a green glass disc trap...
"My dwarves seem to have Terminal Party Syndrome; i can't get them to stop partying all of a sudden"- RCIX

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 31, 2011, 03:59:00 pm »

you may want to read the thread in the future, in case you missed something  ;)

If you don't remove the tags, they won't need to eat or drink during gameplay.  Since carnivorous pets don't eat or drink atm, it really isn't critical if you're taming kobolds (or just having them as hostiles), but if you further mod them to be a playable race, leaving the tags in will mean your entire kobold fort will NEVER need food or drink; they'll just live until they get killed or die of old age.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 31, 2011, 04:01:49 pm »

If you don't remove the tags, they won't need to eat or drink during gameplay.  Since carnivorous pets don't eat or drink atm, it really isn't critical if you're taming kobolds (or just having them as hostiles), but if you further mod them to be a playable race, leaving the tags in will mean your entire kobold fort will NEVER need food or drink; they'll just live until they get killed or die of old age.
But.. But.. Kobolds aren't kobolds unless they lay eggs..
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 31, 2011, 04:31:24 pm »

True, but until egg-laying is a little less buggy, it's your only choice for kobolds that breed in fortress mode.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 03, 2011, 06:22:15 pm »

Thank you!

HUGE_WALRUS

• Bay Watcher
  • What was that, sandvich? Kill them all?
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 04, 2011, 01:40:07 pm »

Kobolds, huh? 

Can't say I know why everyone seems so enamored with them.

Entih

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 04, 2011, 01:53:00 pm »

Awesome fact:  In an unmodded huge world, I had an entire continent populated only by humans and kobolds.

That was my favorite continent.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 04, 2011, 03:12:30 pm »

Awesome fact:  In an unmodded huge world, I had an entire continent populated only by humans and kobolds.

That was my favorite continent.

Send me the raws so I can control the kobs!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23