Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to get BIG amount of cheap barrels and bags at embark  (Read 10336 times)

KurzedMetal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to get BIG amount of cheap barrels and bags at embark
« on: June 24, 2011, 08:32:28 pm »

I was trying to do a custom embark profile and i was reading in the wiki that if you buy 11 or 6 of some items you get a free barrel but didn't say anything about this...

did you know that getting one meat of each different animal (cost 2+), one of each extract (milk, blood, ichor, venom, cost 1), one egg of each bird (cost 2), one of each fish (cost 3) and lye (cost 2) gives you one free barrel at embark for each item? that's a lot of barrels :P
Meat, milk and fish are even useful. You can sell the blood and venom i guess.
You can get one barrel for each cheese too but they cost 10, you are better of buying logs (cost 3) if you want the barrels.
One sand (for each color too, cost 1), seed (for each plant, cost 1) or one gypsum plaster (cost 3) gives you one free bag.

Basically buying an empty barrels (cost 10) is almost a rip off :P

Yeah, i know it's cheese as hell, I just found it funny.

EDIT: it is on the wiki, i just skipped it, my mistake.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 08:38:54 pm by KurzedMetal »
Quote from: ARandomGuyOnTheInternet
When 80% of your fans use 3 different external programs simultaneously to play your game comfortably, you might need to stand back and think "Maybe...Maybe I should get around making a UI designed to be used by carbon-based entities, like mammals".

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to get BIG amount of cheap barrels and bags at embark
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 08:39:12 pm »

Yes I did know, just too lazy to use other seting than standard issue dwarf exploratry unit settings ohterwise jknown as "Take this, get out or get hammered".

How to sell barrels minus the contents? I have crappy barrels I want rid of but want to keep the nice stuuf inside.
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

KurzedMetal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 09:18:55 pm »

I don't know, maybe setting another stockpile close with zero max. barrels or bins (to empty the ugly ones or with 1+ max bin/barrels and shinny new containers) and setting this stockpile to retrieve items from the old one.

AFAIK you can't do it in the trading interface, you either sell individual items inside the bin/barrel or sell it with its content (except if it is empty)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 09:21:11 pm by KurzedMetal »
When 80% of your fans use 3 different external programs simultaneously to play your game comfortably, you might need to stand back and think "Maybe...Maybe I should get around making a UI designed to be used by carbon-based entities, like mammals".

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 10:33:36 pm »

Select the barrel, dump it and the contents, reclaim the barrel, ???, PROFIT!!!!
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 10:34:11 pm »

Actually now that you can make Stone pots... Barrels are a problem of the past. It is beautiful!

KurzedMetal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 10:46:47 pm »

Agree, pots are awesome, but i wouldn't mind to start with 40 free barrels anyways :), or even better, some free bags.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 09:34:23 am »

wait, stone pots count as barrels?

*headsmack*

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 01:20:21 pm »

You can get one barrel for each cheese too but they cost 10, you are better of buying logs (cost 3) if you want the barrels.
Think of it more as getting the cheese free with the barrel. Mmm, four-cheese roast.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 02:24:34 pm »

Agree, pots are awesome, but i wouldn't mind to start with 40 free barrels anyways :)
Now that pots have arrived, I never use barrels. Don't take them on embark, don't take anything that will fit into barrel on embark, don't buy them, don't build them (except one or two for respective workshops).

My dwarves don't know how the dwarven syrup looks like, but the uniform look of the food stockpiles more than makes up for this. :-)
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

KurzedMetal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 02:44:25 pm »

...but the uniform look of the food stockpiles more than makes up for this. :-)

I'm glad i overcame my OCD :P
Anyways if i feel i need to satiate it, i could burn/sell them.

Fireborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 06:41:36 am »

wait, stone pots count as barrels?

*headsmack*
Yeah, for the most part.

Small, presumably bug, issue that a few reactions require barrels, and any building that needs a barrel cannot use a pot instead.  Though, they no longer store Tardis fulls of prepared meals.