Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #14: Feedback  (Read 42974 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #14: Feedback
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2011, 02:48:20 pm »

There's a handful of minor things that could benefit substantially from it. Most of those things are night creatures

Actually there is more then that to the point where Nightcreatures actually make up a small portion of the creatures that benefit from it. It is basically a random enhancer. The Chimera, Griffon, and centaurs also rely on the this to function. Not to mention greater forgotten beasts and titans.

Though I got the point. A big portion of players don't want to wait that long for something that ONLY enhances creatures, some spells, and some gods when we could just continue to dirrectly enhance the game.

I just hope we eventually get to it... or Toady just dedicates a bit to it every once in a while so it does work eventually.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2011, 03:40:29 pm »

Considering that dragons and other megabeasts take up a single tile, I don't think single-tile giants turning into hypothetically smaller, but still single-tile wolves is that big an immersion breaker  :P Unless dragons et al are being changed to work like wagons, which would be cool. (I actually can't listen to the mp3 right now... going entirely on comments.)
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2011, 03:45:09 pm »

Considering that dragons and other megabeasts take up a single tile, I don't think single-tile giants turning into hypothetically smaller, but still single-tile wolves is that big an immersion breaker  :P Unless dragons et al are being changed to work like wagons, which would be cool. (I actually can't listen to the mp3 right now... going entirely on comments.)
They will be changed to be like that eventually. There's no timeline.

bitterhorn

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Rage Against Dying of Light: Burritos
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2011, 06:01:55 pm »

I'm not really sure I understand the nature of the cyan double-ns and what they are to represent.  Just sort of... like... generic free-willed undead and ghosts that retain more conscious independence than the current fortress mode dwarves, but aren't tied to unfulfilled passions or revenge or necromancy or anything else???
It is a world built on pillars that descend into hell itself, yet there is no heaven above to look to. A world where pain and death await all, with little to no salvation from the horrors of the world. There is no true peace, no true saviour. Dwarf fortress is a game about an eternal struggle that you can never, ever win.

Also, valkyries are cooler then angels...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2011, 06:20:54 pm »

It's a catch-all class for a reason. I can't think of any classical undead that doesn't fit your description either...doesn't mean Toady won't come up with something at some point.

Although I guess Ghouls would be a decent candidate to start. They tread that boundary between ravenous undead and sentient creature without fitting in with the other archetypes.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

bitterhorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2011, 06:37:47 pm »

Although I guess Ghouls would be a decent candidate to start. They tread that boundary between ravenous undead and sentient creature without fitting in with the other archetypes.

That's true, Ghouls are sort of an awesomely-ambiguous thing.  Are they degenerate things that have become infected with some kind of ineffable substance that also turns dead things undead, or are they actually dead things that for some reason are indistinguishable from the living only via their appearance, habits, and diet?  So, I guess maybe we're talking about something weirdly-liminal that's Not Exactly Alive in a Way We Can't Quite Explain But It's Just Primally Wrong, with the cyan folks..
It is a world built on pillars that descend into hell itself, yet there is no heaven above to look to. A world where pain and death await all, with little to no salvation from the horrors of the world. There is no true peace, no true saviour. Dwarf fortress is a game about an eternal struggle that you can never, ever win.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2011, 06:47:14 pm »

First thing I thought of was being cursed to become a zombie-esque creature where your body rots and whatnot except you still keep your soul/consciousness as opposed to just being an animated corpse.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2011, 11:02:54 am »

AKA a lich! I wonder if it's possible to have bodies rot while they're zombies or otherwise animated. Then you could use your miasma as an attack to irritate your enemies!
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Yobgod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Were-Fortress of Destiny
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2011, 02:38:22 pm »

You totally missed the classic application of  a split-were fortress.
Big fortress: half were-capybara, half were-maggot (or whatever)

A the full moon the drawbridges raise and the grates slam shut to keep the eternal foes at bay.

But... then a beautiful maggot falls in love with a capybara... their families disown them, or start fighting even while dwarven.

Anything that leads to classic tragedy is fun... and possibly Fun.

arfa-folk

• Bay Watcher
  • Take it easy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2011, 03:04:11 pm »

I love the new undead stuff.  I was thinking it would be neat if at some point down the road Dwarves had sewers (using at first zoning a place to crap in the woods outside, and eventually as the fort expands creating a way to flush contaminants safely out of the fortress) and also a lighting system (maybe based on phosphorescence such as mushrooms, w/ varying dwarf skill/ability at seeing in the dark?)

I was thinking these two additions would make fighting armies of the undead super scary -- they can pop out at you from the dark, body parts can crawl out of the toilets, hands can grab your neck while you are sleeping safe in your bed. It would be great to just feel like everything in an evil area is just completely ooky and out to get you and you are just desperately trying to keep everything clean while these stupid dorfs crap all over your fortress. 

As to making the lighting system more awesome: it would be neat to have some sort of fog of war system [maybe there is one already, at least for creatures]. 
If it's that easy, take it twice.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2011, 08:55:15 pm »

Independant intelligent undead? Perhaps a variation of one of these:

• The Hollows in Bleach
  • The lad in this story of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  • The sand demons in Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
  • The previously mentioned Lichs
  • That undead queen from Toady's devlog that raised other undead
  • Something like the Skeletron boss from Terraria? :D
  • The Legend of Sleepy Hollow...

Pretty much anything I can think of at the moment... Some of these aren't really undead, I know, but their background might be totally different in DF, so that they become undead per definitionem ;)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2011, 11:18:16 am »

Transcript coming along, Mallocks?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2011, 11:53:03 am »

• That undead queen from Toady's devlog that raised other undead

That one falls under the "mummy" category, I believe.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

bitterhorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2011, 12:34:51 pm »

• The Legend of Sleepy Hollow...

I'd expect the Headless Horseman to fall in the "stalker" category, really...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2011, 04:13:03 pm »

With all the gimmicks (severed head/pumpkin, horse, cavalry saber, connection to a location) I see the HH as a vengeful ghost too.

To me, the IU class seems like it's being reserved for the undead that are capable of leadership of non-undead. They have motivations beyond that standard night creature (maim, murder, kill.)

Because if you break down the motivations of night creatures right now, they're either monsters or villains. For example:

Monsters:

Reanimated Dead
Boogeymen
Night Hags
Vengeful Ghosts
Constructs
Water Monsters
Natural Night Creatures
Mummies
Werewolves

Villains:

Necromancers
Vampires
Intelligent Undead....?
Aquatic Night Creatures....?

So that's the break down to me. Either NCs are intended to be part of swarms, single localized monsters of bad assitude, or villain-esqe figures that control many other creatures and may lead civs or control large sites in adventure mode. The whole implication of "Intelligent" to me is that they're capable of more than just simple mayhem. Toady mentions the IU leading bandits perhaps, so that's where I think the line of demarcation is. Whether or not said Night Creature is capable of commanding the loyalty of large numbers of other creatures.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 08:12:11 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6