Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #14: Feedback  (Read 42855 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #14: Feedback
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 03:28:24 pm »

Rainseeker's mic volume is much lower than Toady's.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 03:45:57 pm »

When you get to vampire stuff, you may find http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_vampire_traits useful when picking optional traits.
Maybe Our Vampires Are Different?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 04:00:21 pm »

Thanks for another excellent DF talk!
It was even better than usual this time.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 04:20:50 pm »

Can someone sum up/list what all the different colored night creatures are/do?
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 04:30:41 pm »

Stalkers/revenants are probably the one type of creature I wouldn't have expected, though some of the other types I'd have expected in other categories (such as animated furnitures as activities from poltergeists).

Can't say I'm excited for the green or blue Ñ's though, since they sound a little contrived. Creature from the black lagoon type things might be fun, but they don't sound too distinct from trolls. Handling ghost pirates as a special case seems weird as well. We'll have to see what features everything gets though; it could all be loads of fun, and I'm looking forward to the release quite a bit.
The green ones are among those I look forward to as very mythological and resonant, actually. Evil talking wolves, kelpies, crazed maneater lions, they all sound quite likely to happen with that color. It may seem overly broad, but I don't think that's too bad. The blue ones, they do have the potential of being just trolls and ghosts and zombies (draugr), though now that I think of it, kelpies probably are dark blue Ñs.

It's great to see that apparently, vampires will be the last huge coding obstacle. The Frankensteinian Ñs sound like they might open up artificer and summoner type secrets some time later, which would open up the possibility to "replenish" certain types of megabeasts and unique demons during play. Looking forward to the new modding options that will come in from all this.

I wonder, though - I expect that many of these night creatures will flash as major historical figures, which might make their actual color less easily seen. Context will help, but in some cases, it could be important - is that flashing blue Ñ a legendary draugr, or the carp of night that drowned him?

Can someone sum up/list what all the different colored night creatures are/do?
Like this?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 05:10:16 pm »

Wait, so vampires are supposed to be able to blend in but they have an assigned night creature symbol? Wouldn't a dark red Ñ hinder their ability to look like part of society from an adventurer's point of view?

When you get to vampire stuff, you may find http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_vampire_traits useful when picking optional traits.
The fact that it portrays "european folklore" as a cohesive and unified thing detracts hugely from its credibility.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 05:23:17 pm by Cruxador »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 05:46:21 pm »

Wait, so vampires are supposed to be able to blend in but they have an assigned night creature symbol? Wouldn't a dark red Ñ hinder their ability to look like part of society from an adventurer's point of view?

They can transform into normal looking dudes, sometimes.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2011, 05:52:45 pm »

I always love listening to these.

I've got a question though. When Tarn was talking about how your entire fortress could become werebeasts I wondered about the Fortress-born infants. Would they inherit the were-trait of one or both parents? I don't recall that being covered in the talks or dev log.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2011, 05:53:28 pm »

Go on and finish all the night creatures toady, we can wait.

TheMasterTurtle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a turtle and a master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2011, 06:42:49 pm »

I am ovwerly excited indeed but I would rather wait to make this update as good as possible.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2011, 06:52:14 pm »

Indeed. We can wait.

DwarfReaper

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Hybrid children, watch the sea
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2011, 08:11:24 pm »

If you were cursed while falling in love, perhaps you'd have to become a wealthy merchant.  That sort of thing.

I was cursed while falling in love once. To cure it I had to become an alcoholic.
Goddamn Armok, I love this game.

Gooral

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2011, 01:32:49 am »

Night Creatures.... What about slayers that you mentioned? Maybe something like Witchers?

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2011, 01:41:53 am »

Night Creatures.... What about slayers that you mentioned? Maybe something like Witchers?

Probably your general Hunter theme character. You know, Van Helsing, Exorcists, Task Force: Valkyrie, Ordo Malleus, etc. Witchers would fall under that scope too I reckon.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Gooral

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2011, 09:42:16 am »

Probably your general Hunter theme character. You know, Van Helsing, Exorcists, Task Force: Valkyrie, Ordo Malleus, etc. Witchers would fall under that scope too I reckon.

I didn't thought about Withers but something like you said. Hunters , Slayers etc.  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6