Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #14: Feedback  (Read 42857 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #14: Feedback
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2011, 10:40:15 am »

I haven't been really listening due to studying, but did I hear something about grafted arms there?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2011, 02:58:26 pm »

Hulking Frankenstein-styled flesh golems with weapons grafted onto their limbs.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2011, 05:03:23 pm »

So do ghosts from Fortress mode have an Adventure Mode Night Creature equivalent? The Angry Ghosts/Stalkers seem to a breed all their own, and Toady keeps mentioning populating haunted houses with ghosts....does he mean the Angry Ghosts, or some other kind of ghost that's 'weaker'?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2011, 07:41:05 pm »

So do ghosts from Fortress mode have an Adventure Mode Night Creature equivalent? The Angry Ghosts/Stalkers seem to a breed all their own, and Toady keeps mentioning populating haunted houses with ghosts....does he mean the Angry Ghosts, or some other kind of ghost that's 'weaker'?

I'm not quite sure the angry ghosts talked about in the dev log are the stalkers; they might just be the adventurer equivalent of fort mode ghosts. I sure hope they mean stalkers though, those guys sound rad.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2011, 07:54:45 pm »

This talks was actually quite good and probably one of the better talks. It was actually about its own topic, it actually revealed things, and things moved about at a steady pace.

Hey guys I was just wondering

How many of you would support Toady taking 2 months off for the "Unique body type" update that he needs to do for proper transformation and part transformations?

Personally I'd really would want the changes that update could bring... but I realise that not everyone is really for it.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 08:00:55 pm by Neonivek »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2011, 08:35:34 pm »

How many of you would support Toady taking 2 months off for the "Unique body type" update that he needs to do for proper transformation and part transformations?

100%, as long has he
1) gets this release out along with necessary bugfixes first
2) posts about it in the dev log at least occasionally :D

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2011, 08:38:41 pm »

It's Toady's game. If he wants to create proper transformations then all the better to get it out of the way now.

Giants turning into relatively teeny-tiny werewolves sounded like it could be an immersion breaker.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2011, 08:40:11 pm »

Giants turning into relatively teeny-tiny werewolves sounded like it could be an immersion breaker.

Does the game even indicate size?

Mind you... Giants turning into werewolves suddenly becoming pathetic pushovers I guess would also be an immersion breaker.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2011, 08:46:09 pm »

I'd really rather not have updates delayed for two months so body transformations could be more accurate, since the only critter that would use it in vanilla would be just the wereanimals. Might be neat to mod in transformin' fight'n robots or something, but... maybe sometime in the (distant) future.

Although, giants shrinking down to turn into wereanimals, maybe just limit the curse to smaller humanoids. Animalmen should be exempt too, Moosemen turning into weremooses, ugh.

I'd really like to see the cities finished and the dwarf/goblin/elf settlements returned to the game before anything else.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2011, 10:30:04 pm »

Some thoughts:

It would be amusing if you could tame were-creatures if you manage to cage them.

Do were-wolves attack normal wolves while in wolf form? (And ect for other weres / normal creatures.)
Soaplent green is goblins!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2011, 10:58:24 pm »

So what if he came out with the next release THEN took the two months off for the "Unique creature" part.

Because there is a lot that seems to rely on it.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2011, 04:52:30 am »

Not before he's done with Army Arc. That stuff is nowhere near as interesting as the caravan and army stuff that's currently planned to precede it.
So what if he came out with the next release THEN took the two months off for the "Unique creature" part.

Because there is a lot that seems to rely on it.
There's a handful of minor things that could benefit substantially from it. Most of those things are night creatures, which are already receiving a huge amount of attention, and which suffer quite a bit from diminishing returns.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2011, 12:00:28 pm »

huh? The giant turning into a much smaller were makes perfect sense... really it's the only way it could work if much-smaller-than-humanoid weres are going to work as expected and the system is to be consistent.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2011, 02:10:55 pm »

huh? The giant turning into a much smaller were makes perfect sense... really it's the only way it could work if much-smaller-than-humanoid weres are going to work as expected and the system is to be consistent.

I'm now imagining tiny gnome were-creatures.

Hehe, tiny elephant people.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2011, 02:25:57 pm »

This talks was actually quite good and probably one of the better talks. It was actually about its own topic, it actually revealed things, and things moved about at a steady pace.

Hey guys I was just wondering

Personally I'd really would want the changes that update could bring... but I realise that not everyone is really for it.
Can't say I'm for it. Looking at the stuff on the dev page right now, I would prefer any of it to such a time consuming slog, particularly when the rewards of it don't seem that great.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6