Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Beekeeping for dummies (new and improved!)  (Read 19178 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Beekeeping for dummies
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 01:45:41 pm »

Mead as a low value alcohol makes sense mechanically, but it's far too lovely to keep ad such.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 08:01:56 pm »

How much value does wax have? I'd assume it's a base value of 1 like honey, but I'm not sure.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 10:37:44 pm »

Does the beekeeper skill increase speed the combs are collected, and presser skill increase the amount produced. As I posted above, does honey behave like lye? I.e have to have a separate stockpile for honey, like lye, so the collection vessels get dumped in a barrel/pot?
 Started an experimental fort for several different experiments. Bee keeping is the latest
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Fridgetroll

• Bay Watcher
  • like a blind man in the dark
    • View Profile
    • The Revenge of the Mutant Hippy Psychic Warlord
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 03:19:11 pm »

How much value does wax have? I'd assume it's a base value of 1 like honey, but I'm not sure.

Yes, it is 1.

Does the beekeeper skill increase speed the combs are collected,

I'm not sure but I believe so.

and presser skill increase the amount produced.

No.

As I posted above, does honey behave like lye? I.e have to have a separate stockpile for honey, like lye, so the collection vessels get dumped in a barrel/pot?

No.

It appears that this only happens if the jugs are put into a Finished Goods stockpile, in which case they are put in bins and are then inaccessible for cooking, brewing, and possibly eating as well, otherwise they each take up a space in the stockpile. Solution: Designate a one tile stockpile for honey and royal jelly in your kitchen/still area and also make this tile a dump, then dump all the honey and jelly to it, then reclaim.

... getting attacked by stuff like zombie spleens.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 05:22:36 pm »

What if you made a stockpile to only accept jugs and use no bins?

Fridgetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 12:22:52 am »

What if you made a stockpile to only accept jugs and use no bins?

You'll end up with a stockpile filled with one jug per tile and you won't be able to use them for jobs.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2011, 09:25:12 am »

Could you use the 1 spot food stockpile to get them to cook syrup?
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Fridgetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2011, 09:32:10 am »

Could you use the 1 spot food stockpile to get them to cook syrup?

I assume you mean royal jelly. That should work, yeah. I've been meaning to try it, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011, 05:05:58 pm »

Jugs filled with the jelly or honey which are stored in bins are not inaccessable for your cook. The problem is that your food stockpiles are usually closer to the kitchen than the finished goods stockpiles, and so the cook will rather use whatever you have in the nearby food stockpile. Once he has finished this stuff, he won't move on to the honey and the jelly, because he's lacking a solid component now.

To fix this, I would suggest that you place the stockpile for the jugs extremely close to the kitchen, closer than the raw food stockpile is. That will make your cook use the honey and the jelly at the highest priority.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2011, 08:02:07 pm »

How exactly do you store wax ?
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Fridgetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2011, 12:10:31 am »

How exactly do you store wax ?

Food/Pressed Material/honey bee wax cake

Fridgetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2011, 12:12:25 am »

Jugs filled with the jelly or honey which are stored in bins are not inaccessable for your cook. The problem is that your food stockpiles are usually closer to the kitchen than the finished goods stockpiles, and so the cook will rather use whatever you have in the nearby food stockpile. Once he has finished this stuff, he won't move on to the honey and the jelly, because he's lacking a solid component now.

To fix this, I would suggest that you place the stockpile for the jugs extremely close to the kitchen, closer than the raw food stockpile is. That will make your cook use the honey and the jelly at the highest priority.

The real problem with this is that your empty jugs will be stored there as well where they become inaccessible to your beekeeper and presser.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2011, 12:18:03 am »

Ok, ok...

How about we make it so none of the stockpiles accept jugs, honey, or royal jelly of any kind, and just keep all the honey related workshops near the kitchen area.

Fridgetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2011, 01:14:17 pm »

Ok, ok...

How about we make it so none of the stockpiles accept jugs, honey, or royal jelly of any kind, and just keep all the honey related workshops near the kitchen area.

It's a good idea to keep related workshops close together anyway, as that reduces hauling times. Although, If you don't haul away the products to a stockpile or a dump zone and they are produced faster than they are used those workshops will get cluttered and slow down production. (This is especially a problem for jug production.) Sometimes that's a good thing, but if you're trying to train up your workers you want your production to go as quickly as possible.

I've since gotten a chance to try the dump zone+one tile honey/jelly stockpile. I know it's working for the brewer, but my cook still seems to be ignoring the jelly even though it's closer to his kitchen than everything else. At least it's not taking up space in my food stockpiles and like I said before, it's all about the bee stings.

But really, the one tile dump+stockpile combo right next to the relevant workshops is a great solution, in general. I'm using it for stones near my masonry, mechanic's, and craft workshops and for ore near my smelters. It saves tons of space. It takes a bit of thought and some extra organizational work for the initial hauling allocating the stuff to be dumped, but it more than makes up for it in terms of more efficient production.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2011, 01:31:58 pm »

Was working the less micromanagement angle.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4