Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Beekeeping for dummies (new and improved!)  (Read 19182 times)

bitterhorn

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Rage Against Dying of Light: Burritos
    • View Profile
Re: Beekeeping for dummies
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2011, 01:39:04 pm »

4) Build less than 40 hives and build them in a "safe" outside area.

Or, for the benefit of the ultra-paranoid, I'll note that bees are also totally fine with flying up and out through ceiling grates.  It is possible to store the hives themselves underground, just as long as there's a vertical path to the sky above them.
It is a world built on pillars that descend into hell itself, yet there is no heaven above to look to. A world where pain and death await all, with little to no salvation from the horrors of the world. There is no true peace, no true saviour. Dwarf fortress is a game about an eternal struggle that you can never, ever win.

Also, valkyries are cooler then angels...

Fridgetroll

• Bay Watcher
  • like a blind man in the dark
    • View Profile
    • The Revenge of the Mutant Hippy Psychic Warlord
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2011, 01:52:29 pm »

Was working the less micromanagement angle.

Then just let the hive products collect in your normal food stockpiles. It's really not a big deal for those.

The important issue is how to manage the supply of empty jugs and prevent them from cluttering up your craft workshops. When you dump empty jugs near your hives, don't create a stockpile under them (don't forget to claim them after dumping). 120 or so jugs once a year for 40 hives is hardly micromanaging and probably more than enough to keep your beekeeper and presser happy, especially if your brewer is making mead and freeing up half of the used jugs.
... getting attacked by stuff like zombie spleens.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2011, 06:16:01 pm »

would i be able to sustain a 7 dwarf 'isolation' fort solely on the honey industry? or at least in conjunction with egg layers and milking? i would like to try a fort using only the minor food industries to feed itself.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2011, 06:25:28 pm »

would i be able to sustain a 7 dwarf 'isolation' fort solely on the honey industry? or at least in conjunction with egg layers and milking? i would like to try a fort using only the minor food industries to feed itself.

You might...  it will be rough till you really get the bees up and running as they are your only source of booze.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2011, 06:29:37 pm »

yeah i was thinking about starting with on a world with really high embark points to help me start off, but the ultimate goal would be to survive walled off from the world and utilise no plants part from trees for barrels, buckets and beds.

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2011, 05:39:24 am »

you dont really need beds if you get a mason and make him make stone statues EVERYWHERE....and you dont have many mass tragedies...lolz, but this is dwarf fortress, tragedy is where the fun is

oh and a giant engraved sculpture garden and dining room...complete with waterfall.

with a complex system such as this, you can really get around anything if you try hard enough

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2011, 12:26:23 pm »

you dont really need beds if you get a mason and make him make stone statues EVERYWHERE....and you dont have many mass tragedies...lolz, but this is dwarf fortress, tragedy is where the fun is

oh and a giant engraved sculpture garden and dining room...complete with waterfall.

with a complex system such as this, you can really get around anything if you try hard enough

the way I figure, the primary purpose of beds is to keep your dwarves from sleeping in dangerous places, like outside, in the caverns, or in that new drainage tunnel they were making.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2011, 04:03:53 pm »

So if I'm getting spammed to death with 'cancels collect hive products: job item lost or destroyed', what is the problem ?
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Fridgetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2011, 08:11:39 pm »

So if I'm getting spammed to death with 'cancels collect hive products: job item lost or destroyed', what is the problem ?

You probably have (or had) more than one dorf with beekeeping labor assigned and they are "stepping" on each other's jobs. You may need to find the offending hive and forbid or deconstruct it to cancel the hung job order (should be easy enough to do from the job list).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 11:45:31 pm by Fridgetroll »

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2011, 02:55:28 pm »

I only have the one beekeeper. Still investigating.
I had prepared food selected in my honey stockpile (which is not working). When I turned that off the FPS went back from 6 to 18. I'm still getting the error, but less and it no longer affects the FPS.

Batdwarf Forever !

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2011, 05:15:05 pm »

Just to inform, the jug bug is supposed to have been squished ever since 31.20, and my personal experience concurs, no matter whether the jug sits in the stockpile itself, or in a bin on the stockpile. If you have a save reliably duplicating the bug, it might be worth it to upload it to the DFFD and post a new bug report on the bug tracker.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Fridgetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2011, 11:32:51 pm »

I only have the one beekeeper. Still investigating.
I had prepared food selected in my honey stockpile (which is not working). When I turned that off the FPS went back from 6 to 18. I'm still getting the error, but less and it no longer affects the FPS.

Odd. I have no problems with food stockpiled honey for brewing -- royal jelly is a different story, however. 

Can you isolate the hive that's causing problems? Or is it not hive specific?

These seem relevant:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4191
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4311

Just to inform, the jug bug is supposed to have been squished ever since 31.20, and my personal experience concurs, no matter whether the jug sits in the stockpile itself, or in a bin on the stockpile. If you have a save reliably duplicating the bug, it might be worth it to upload it to the DFFD and post a new bug report on the bug tracker.

I'll experiment with the jug issue in the next few days when I have the time and energy. If I can recreate the empty jug/stockpile problems, I'll upload my save and report it. I know the problem arose early on in my current fort, but having since then disabled tools in all my finished goods stockpiles and created an ample supply of jugs, my hive industry has been in "fire and forget" mode with no problems whatsoever excepting royal jelly not getting cooked.

I'll also isolate a kitchen and a cook with just enough food items to force royal jelly into the recipe to see if that works (my cook may just have too many better things to cook with). I'll also isolate someone with nothing but royal jelly for food and see if he starves.   

Fridgetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2011, 10:40:02 am »

Well...

I tested everything except isolating a dwarf with nothing but royal jelly for food and everything worked like a charm.

With all jugs in a finished goods stockpile, the beekeeper used the jugs, as did the presser.

With all foods turned off in the kitchen stocks except one solid item and royal jelly, the jelly got cooked. I tested this with all jelly in food stockpiles, then again with all jelly in finished goods piles. Tested mead brewing the same, with the same results. 

So... I can only assume that what I thought was jugs not being taken from finished goods piles was actually the result of the hive industry out producing my expectations and thus not having any empty jugs (i.e. they were all already full with honey and royal jelly).

I shall edit the original post to reflect this.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
Re: Beekeeping for dummies (new and improved!)
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2011, 05:41:25 pm »

Well the problem is back in force again...FPS down to 11. It only happens for periods of time, it is not constant. hundreds of 'cancels collect hive products: job item lost or destroyed' and then we're back at 17/18 FPS.

I tried changing the hive setting to no effect. Half the hives were set to install and don't gather, the other half to install and gather. Now that is don't install and don't gather, the other half still install and gather.

I removed the repeat 'press honey from honeycomb' to no effect. Make mead was already off.

My current theory is that I ran out of empty glazed jugs (I assume unglazed are useless for honey and jelly). I'm trying to make more but it is really slow going.

Alternatively, my stockpiles are set up wrong. This is what I have now :

* stockpile finished goods - tools - earthware/stoneware/porcelain.
- Working kinda - bins filled with empty unglazed jugs and glazed jugs filled with royal jelly. All the glazed jugs are full. This stockpile was intended only to have empty glazed jugs.
Question : I just noticed there is an ash glaze option. Will that prevent unglazed jugs ?

* stockpile food - pressed materials - honey bee wax cake
- Working as intended, filled with barrels of honey bee wax cake

* stockpile food - extract (Animals) - Honey Bee Royal Jelly, Honey Bee Honey, Bumblebee Royal Jelly, Bumblebee Honey.
- Not working at all. Completely empty. Intended to have glazed jugs with jelly to make mead.

* stockpile food - Drink (Animal) - Mead, Bumblebee Mead.
- Probably working...I keep missing them actually making any mead. When they make it it is probably dragged off to another booze stockpile...I'll change that so it should end in this one, for now at least.

* stockpile Finished Goods - All - Wax
- This is working. Got some bins with honey bee wax crown

I'm not understanding how royal jelly is supposed to work. What do you do with it ?

Final question : Should I have an empty barrel storage near the still that (should) make mead ? Or is the mead stored in a jug ?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 06:03:55 pm by LuckyLuigi »

Batdwarf Forever !

Fridgetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beekeeping for dummies (new and improved!)
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2011, 07:51:28 pm »

Use rock jugs. It's much simpler and faster and requires no fuel. As for glazed/unglazed jugs in stockpiles, I can't speak to this as I have yet to create any ceramics. If you must make things out of ceramics, make crafts or statues, or hives for that matter.

Your stockpile settings look fine. I would switch the tools stockpile to accept all materials. (And switch to rock jugs).

You extract stockpile is empty as they are all going to your tools stockpile instead. Try setting the extract pile to take from the tools pile to free up room there for empty jugs.

Set all hives to install and gather -- i.e. build them and leave them. Personally, I can see no good reason to tamper with these settings. I tried it in a previous fort and to put it simply it was a pain in the ass, I saw no noticeable increase in production, and I also encountered inexplicable problems. In fact, this may be the cause of your problems.

If you still have problems after switching all hives to install and gather and ensuring that you have lots of empty jugs, deconstruct and rebuild all your hives. (Maybe don't do them all at once, but in batches as if starting from scratch.) Hopefully you won't need to.

Yes, mead needs barrels or pots (rock pots rule).

Royal jelly can be eaten raw or cooked, however, I believe cooks view it as an ingredient of last resort.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4