Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Beekeeping for dummies (new and improved!)  (Read 19176 times)

Fridgetroll

• Bay Watcher
  • like a blind man in the dark
    • View Profile
    • The Revenge of the Mutant Hippy Psychic Warlord
Re: Beekeeping for dummies (new and improved!)
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2011, 10:32:42 am »

Just for the record, after ignoring her for several years (aside from making sure she has empty jugs), my beekeeper is legendary+5 now.
... getting attacked by stuff like zombie spleens.

bitterhorn

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Rage Against Dying of Light: Burritos
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2011, 12:44:50 pm »

I wish Legendary beekeepers got an "insect swarm" type ability  ;)
It is a world built on pillars that descend into hell itself, yet there is no heaven above to look to. A world where pain and death await all, with little to no salvation from the horrors of the world. There is no true peace, no true saviour. Dwarf fortress is a game about an eternal struggle that you can never, ever win.

Also, valkyries are cooler then angels...

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2011, 01:24:10 pm »

When doing some science regarding beekeeping, I found that most of my embark sites would fill up with wild colonies of ants and bumblebees, and that to find any honeybee colonies I needed to mod out the other two species. Was I just embarking in the wrong places?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2011, 01:28:37 pm »

There are a limit to the number of colonies that can exist on the map at a time.  Every time you harvest a honeybee colony, it will be replaced by a randomly chosen ant, bumblebee, or honeybee colony.  If the ant and bumblebee colonies aren't touched, then eventually all of the available slots for colonies will be filled up with ant or bumblebee colonies.

The solution to this is to destroy and and bumblebee colonies by building stuff on them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Fridgetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2011, 03:10:48 pm »

I can't recall ever seeing a wild honey bee colony. Perhaps this is because in my zeal to build up my hives as fast as possible, my beekeeper collects them before I spot them.

It's my understanding that wild bumblebee colonies are all one needs as these are converted to honey bee colonies once they are transplanted into a hive. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

Jamuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2011, 03:52:08 pm »

40 bee hives ... do they have any negative effects on the fps rate? (should be quite some bees flying around)

Fridgetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2011, 04:12:16 pm »

My fps is about 12-13 right now, but that is far more likely due to my dwarf population (235), the two or three hundred livestock I have, and my bloated stockpiles. There's only a couple dozen bees pathing from the hives at any given time. It would seem that the ten to twenty thousand bees in each hive are treated as a single entity (since that is how they appear in the stocks screen).

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2011, 06:49:50 pm »

Can bees be used as a goblin detection device?

IE,
1)dig channel
2)fill with hives
3)cover with grates (access tunnel for beekeper)
4) bees notice and sting theives

Anyone try this?

Fridgetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2011, 07:41:03 pm »

Can bees be used as a goblin detection device?

IE,
1)dig channel
2)fill with hives
3)cover with grates (access tunnel for beekeper)
4) bees notice and sting theives

Anyone try this?

Clever idea, but I doubt it will work unless a bee can sting an unrevealed invader, which would likely reveal it. As far I can tell, vermin do not otherwise spot thieves.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2011, 09:41:02 pm »

The thought occurs, based on a thread about training children for use in the military by locking them in with a dog so they train dodging, is that frequent bee stings might make dwarves quicker to heal, as getting small, non-lethal wounds from large-ish animals does. Does your bee-keeper have any notes in her description about pain tolerance or healing rate?

Fridgetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2011, 07:18:23 am »

"She is incredibly tough and very rarely sick but she is quick to tire."

So, no.

Bee stings are not wounds, so there's nothing to heal and I don't think they are even registered as pain.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2011, 10:01:47 am »

How many hives do I need to create a border around my fort so that incoming goblins will be accosted by my bee army?

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2011, 04:23:35 pm »

There are a limit to the number of colonies that can exist on the map at a time.  Every time you harvest a honeybee colony, it will be replaced by a randomly chosen ant, bumblebee, or honeybee colony.  If the ant and bumblebee colonies aren't touched, then eventually all of the available slots for colonies will be filled up with ant or bumblebee colonies.

But I've encountered sites where all the available colony slots fill up with ants and bumblebees before a single honeybee colony appears.  I'll set out just one artificial hive and wait for a season, but the artificial hive remains empty.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]