Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clothing management?  (Read 11123 times)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Clothing management?
« on: May 31, 2011, 02:32:31 pm »

Is there any good ways to reduce claiming of produced/invasion clothings, short of having a mobile atom-smasher and a few statues to herd the stray clothes onto it? Would drafting everyone into a squad and replacing all of their outfits with custom uniform help, or is it based off pure worn decay. Or is it even just dwarves being dwarves and trying to steal every last socks I makes? I didn't really find any useful information on the DFwiki.

Share your experience with clothing management and tactics that you suspects works!

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
Re: Clothing management?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 02:38:47 pm »

I don't know. I always sell them to caravans.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 04:04:21 pm »

One thing you can do to reduce clutter is edit out certain annoying items (like socks) from the goblins' entry in the entity file. And allegedly a dwarf won't claim stuff while busy, so if you keep 'em working around the clock they're less likely to fall in love with that goblin's blood-soaked loincloth on the far edge of the map. Kids being lazy bastards tend to claim a lot of stuff as a result ...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 04:16:37 pm »

I think DFHack has a utility for that now, not sure.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 04:22:12 pm »

dfhack

dfcleanowned

/thread

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 04:49:06 pm »

Acperience, where is your Avatar from?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 05:10:38 pm »

Evangelion, from late in the series I believe (Angels didn't get into the base until later).

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 05:40:56 pm »

Dwarves are just kleptomaniacs, will nab anything that suits their fancy. To keep them from grabbing stuff from the battlefield, create a burrow that just covers shops, living quarters, basic fort stuff. Not outside or dangerous spots. Set a alert that covers this burrow, and use this as a civilian alert that is always on. When you need them to go outside to gather wood, mine new veins, turn it off. Do not have to go through the hassle of assigning everyone to it, Civ alert covers it.
 Mass forbid, and dump can be your friends on cleanup/garbage disposal
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 06:26:26 pm »

I mod them out.
Keep dresses and robes, lose the rest.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 08:31:27 pm »

!!MAGMA!!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 10:06:17 pm »

[ o]rders, [ F]orbid.

Forbid used ammunition: Optional, not such a necessity now that dwarves carry multiple stacks of ammo. As with all forbid orders, useful for stopping stuff from being stockpiled at inconvenient times.
Forbid your dead: Optional since dwarves fall out of their clothes upon death.
Forbid your death items: I keep this on. Besides the sock-claiming, I don't need a pickup spiral because dead dwarf A had better chainmail than dwarf B, whose mail is now being shucked off for dwarf C to claim, and so on.
Forbid other non-hunted dead: Border patrols in the last month of the season hoover up a lot of the local wildlife. Unless you have enough soldiers to form a ring of fire, the dwarf that comes to collect the corpse might be the one to discover the ambush.
Forbid other death items: This stays on.

I keep everything forbidden until I want it claimed, at which point I pause the game and then claim/dump everything in the same stroke. Because of the border patrol, nothing gets through, and so after the zerg rush of ambush announcements and subsequent slaughter it's safe for civilians to stream out.

All clothing made in the fortress is purely armour, with the possible exception of cloaks. Those wear, but I've never seen any dwarf claim one of the spares. To deal with clothing that's already claimed, or taken off to make room for a uniform, give your dwarves a cabinet or two in their bedroom. It won't go away, but you don't have to look at it or think about it any more.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 10:34:20 pm »

Also, dwarves won't claim clothes they can't path to. They only need an instant of being idle to claim clothes halfway across the map, but they need to path to them first. Whether they go to actually pick it up is completely irrelevant to them claiming the item.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 11:20:29 pm »

Also, dwarves won't claim clothes they can't path to. They only need an instant of being idle to claim clothes halfway across the map, but they need to path to them first. Whether they go to actually pick it up is completely irrelevant to them claiming the item.

That's a reason why I'm trying to build a fortress with workshop complexes that's automatically sealed and let workflow in and out, as well as food and drinks, without the buggers escaping. Plenty of mechanical issue there, haha!

!!MAGMA!!

Tried that once, flooded myself out and had flaming dwarves fleeing to death  :( ( Business as usual! Now where's that lever... )

[ o]rders, [ F]orbid.

Forbid used ammunition: Optional, not such a necessity now that dwarves carry multiple stacks of ammo. As with all forbid orders, useful for stopping stuff from being stockpiled at inconvenient times.
Forbid your dead: Optional since dwarves fall out of their clothes upon death.
Forbid your death items: I keep this on. Besides the sock-claiming, I don't need a pickup spiral because dead dwarf A had better chainmail than dwarf B, whose mail is now being shucked off for dwarf C to claim, and so on.
Forbid other non-hunted dead: Border patrols in the last month of the season hoover up a lot of the local wildlife. Unless you have enough soldiers to form a ring of fire, the dwarf that comes to collect the corpse might be the one to discover the ambush.
Forbid other death items: This stays on.

I keep everything forbidden until I want it claimed, at which point I pause the game and then claim/dump everything in the same stroke. Because of the border patrol, nothing gets through, and so after the zerg rush of ambush announcements and subsequent slaughter it's safe for civilians to stream out.

All clothing made in the fortress is purely armour, with the possible exception of cloaks. Those wear, but I've never seen any dwarf claim one of the spares. To deal with clothing that's already claimed, or taken off to make room for a uniform, give your dwarves a cabinet or two in their bedroom. It won't go away, but you don't have to look at it or think about it any more.

I have quite a bit of issue of poisons getting everywhere, thusly the socks. They seem to lust after socks so badly, that it didn't even get a chance of leaving the workshop before being stroked and tagged! Boots don't get claimed that I could see, but leather keep running short, and I does like layered uniforms, at least for the military. The forbid menu's good to remember for sure!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 11:26:26 pm »

High and Low boots are armor.  Armor is never claimed by civilians.  Socks are clothing, and will be horded.  You can change the raw tags to mix-match your armor and clothes.  Armor is only worn as part of a uniform, never as clothing.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 01:40:05 am »

Strange that many people mentions socks. My dwarves prefer loincloths, and after that tunics, trouser, cloaks and shirts. They almost never yearn for socks. Anyway, since I keep the usual (and I think default) order to forbid all items from dead goblins, I choose place and time for collecting them. By dumping. Then I unforbid it for selling (in early years) or for burning (later). I only allow dwarves to pick useful and more costly items.