Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Apiculture Woes  (Read 1227 times)

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
Apiculture Woes
« on: May 31, 2011, 09:42:50 pm »

or, AUH NO, NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES!!!

So we seem to be catching and farming colonies of bees with much gusto. I constantly see dwarfs going off to collect everything from the hives; we even have some professional beekeepers now. However, I notice we have an abundance of jars and honeycombs, but are not getting the option to press the same into honey and wax. Is this a bug anyone else has noticed, or is something else wrong?
Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
Re: Apiculture Woes
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 09:46:10 pm »

Or it could just be that all my jars are filled with royal jelly, which had been turned off for cooking. Oops.

Fortunately, royal jelly is the baroness' favorite food! Won't she be surprised when the larders are suddenly filled with ☼honey bee royal jelly roast☼s!

So, perhaps this could just become the official beekeeping thread. Thoughts?
Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 09:54:36 pm »

I've got the same issue of not being able to press the honeycombs. They're still in the hive, but the option to press them is red. I should probably check if I have jugs, though.

I also have an issue with the products not being collected consecutively. This is fixable by swapping the gather/don't gather settings each time they're ready to split, but that's annoying.

I also found that, although the wiki states bee stings have no known consequence, they do cause Pain to show up on the health screen.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 11:42:07 pm »

Akura, with bee venom being on stock list, I guess antivenom could be on Toadys todo list
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 12:49:32 am »

Akura, with bee venom being on stock list, I guess antivenom could be on Toadys todo list

I dont care about antivenom until I can weaponize bee venom and unleash a wave of venom on the invading goblin armies that will send them into shock so my dwarves (in protective gear) can waltz out and stab the survivors with spears.  :D
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 01:32:56 am »

After years of successful beekeeping (with only minor accidents of near-starvation) and mead making my dwarves stopped collecting this stuff altogether. The jobs are hanging there, inactive. And yes, they have labors enabled and free jugs available.

For pressing honeycomb they need collected stuff, the one still in hives doesn't count.