Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I duplicate the raws without crashing?  (Read 1581 times)

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
How do I duplicate the raws without crashing?
« on: May 31, 2011, 10:11:34 am »

I've tried, but whenever I try to look at legends mode, make an adventurer, or embark, it crashes. This is how I think its done: Copy all of the raw files. Paste all of the raw files in the objects folder. Open up DF and watch the insanity.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: How do I duplicate the raws without crashing?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 10:15:24 am »

Try smaller.  One raw file.  Copy creature_default and see what happens.  You may have to mod the raw itself, to rename the header to creature_default(copy) to match.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 10:22:43 am »

Well, when I try to rename it to creature_standard - Copy it won't even let me do that. It just makes it so that it would be called creature_standard - Copy (2).

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 11:28:06 am »

What you are doing wrong is duplicating the raws.  The game is expected to crash if you duplicate the raws - the times it actually works at all are the unusual exception.  It's like pouring salt water into your computer, and then asking why it doesn't work anymore.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Elone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 12:00:24 pm »

Salt water? I never tried that. Coincidentally, how would you know this?
▼ It's all their fault. ▼

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 12:10:36 pm »

Try copying one creature file, like creature_domestic, or large-temperate; something like that. It doesn't matter what the file's new name is, I think, so much as that it's there.
If your game crashes on embark, try embarking without anything; sometimes objects that the game can't deal with are the problem. If it crashes on startup, redo the duping.

If that doesn't work, try individual entries. Just duplicating the rabbit entry or something similar can have massive effects.

All I've ever gotten from raw duping is goblins(?) that catch on fire at embark because of their fire snake clothing and bags. I've managed to make surviving adventurers, but trolls can't talk, so no quests were available.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 12:25:07 pm »

Duping raws, while hilarious at first, gets kinda disappointing once you realize that while you can *embark* as a sea monster civilization, you can't actually do anything as sea monsters.

On the other hand, roc adventurers are pretty awesome (or they would be if they could open doors).
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 12:30:29 pm »

Here's the best thread I've seen on this topic, if anyone's interested. Slightly old, but still applicable. It may hold some valuable tips for anyone looking.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=75703.0

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 10:30:05 pm »

Has anyone thought of making an actual mod with intentional duplicate raws to make things weird? Sort of like Alice in Wonderland or something?
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 10:34:51 pm »

Has anyone thought of making an actual mod with intentional duplicate raws to make things weird? Sort of like Alice in Wonderland or something?
I thought of it once...

DorfLSD...
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 10:36:37 pm »

I thought of it once...

DorfLSD...
Urist in Dupeland 3: The wagon meat roast

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 12:59:49 am »

I thought of it once...

DorfLSD...
Urist in Dupeland 3: The wagon meat roast
I once had a duplicate raw food called "Wagon Urist Random Unknown frozen Y roast meat"

Sounds like an anime.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!