Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Silversmithing  (Read 1561 times)

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Silversmithing
« on: June 17, 2011, 03:02:39 am »

This is a -silver ring-. It is encrusted with a blue topaz.

I've been doing a silversmithing course for the past 6 weeks or so, and am quite proud of this. What do you lot think?
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: Silversmithing
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 03:15:17 am »

That's pretty impressive. The seam is definitely noticeable, but I can't very well fault that seeing as how I can still see seems on professionals who charge something like 90 bucks for something like that.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 03:17:38 am »

Trust me when I say the seam is only visible on the inside. The claw setting is premade, I'm not to the point of making my own claw setting yet. Actually setting the gem was surprisingly easy.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 03:20:39 am »

Very nice. Smooth and elegant, would look nice with a formal dress that isn't too frocked up.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 03:38:34 am »

Good, but it doesn't menace with spikes.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 03:42:24 am »

Good, but it doesn't menace with spikes.
Of kitten bone.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 06:39:12 pm »

I've been doing a silversmithing course for the past 6 weeks or so, and am quite proud of this. What do you lot think?
I think you've definitely got a right to be proud of this. It looks good, though maybe a little simplistic. Of course I say one should never be satisfied to not do better.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 06:34:34 am »

I think you've definitely got a right to be proud of this. It looks good, though maybe a little simplistic.
I think that's what Sensei was saying! :D

Of course I say one should never be satisfied to not do better.
Oh, I do plan to do better. My fiance has suggested a fire opal + smoke quartz design that sounds quite good.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 01:11:25 pm »

While I think the ring itself is very nice in terms of quality, when it comes to design, I feel that the band itself is too wide in relation to the stone, or that the claw ought to be much closer and lower to the band, to make the ring seem more balanced out. Of course, it could be a lack of perspective in viewing the ring in a picture on it's own talking here.
!!&!!

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 04:31:21 pm »

No I think you're right, I'd been thinking that myself, and I was planning to make the next one narrower.

Constantly learning...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 06:16:57 pm »

So are you actually forming the bands from scratch, or do you start with basically a blank of the band style and then make alterations?

That band to me looks like a male wedding band, while the gem and fitting on top definitely say female.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 04:58:24 am »

Forming from scratch, by cutting and hammering sheet silver.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 08:51:06 am »

Just out of curiosity, are you taking silversmithing courses because you aim to be a jeweler, or just as a hobby? (Is it even possible to have silversmithing as a hobby? Because if yes, that's the kind of extra courses I'd love to try to take myself...)

Also, if you do this as a hobby, do you sell the rings you make, or keep them all? Its just that I dont see why you'd keep what I guess is alot of rings you would have made while learning the basics, but I also am not sure if people buy rings from non-established professionals.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 09:37:29 am »

Just as a hobby really. The course is £2/hour with the local adult learning centre, supply your own materials (silver, etc) and consumables (like piercing saw blades).

There are a lot of people I know I could gift them to :P

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 03:56:30 pm »

Incidentally, making your own gem settings is bloody difficult.