Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tileset and migrant questions  (Read 664 times)

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tileset and migrant questions
« on: June 01, 2011, 09:25:26 pm »

Question 1: When I first started playing DF I used the Dystopian Rhetoric EZpack and pretty much had those graphics imprinted on me as the only way to play DF (it's the graphics set my avatar is from). In the new version, there's apparently no similar ezpack, but I tried getting the old Dystopian Rhetoric graphics and plugging them in, and they didn't work - I assume either a lot of new things have been added, or else something about how graphics are linked up to the game has changed. I don't know enough about coding (i.e. anything about coding) to be able to tell. Basically, is there any way I could get those to work again? I am using the Mayday graphics pack and I actually like some aspects of it more (mainly the building tiles) but I really wish I could go back to my old graphics.

Question 2: Even though migrant waves have shrunk in size somewhat, I still find it really overwhelming having 5-10 new immigrants every season to have to manage, figure out what they can do, and get everyone's labors set correctly to accomodate them. Basically just more management always interrupts something. Is there a way to shrink the sizes of migrant waves to 1-3 max, and maybe have them come less than every season?
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Cheet4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tileset and migrant questions
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 12:50:12 am »

1: Are you trying to add it to a running game? If so, did you replace the Raws in "Dwarf Fortress\Raw" and "Dwarf Fortress\data\save\regionx\raw"?

2: Are you managing your Dwarfs with the ingame-methods or are you using DwarfTherapist? If not, do so. This simplifies managing your dwarfs extremely.
btw: I get migration waves of 15 - 25 every winter.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 12:57:09 am »

1: The best approach is probably to use a currently-updating pack. New things get added frequently (and old things are modified), so while it's possible to use old graphics sets for many things, others won't appear correctly. You could modify the old graphics set and use it, but your best choice would probably be sticking with Mayday's.

2: Dwarf Therapist helps greatly with migrants. It makes it not unpleasant, and that's hard to do. I highly recommend it. As for stopping migrants, lowering fortress wealth and killing off your dwarves work wonders for decreasing immigration rates.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 03:21:06 am »

How about this?. I updated DR for the new DF and added a couple of critters of my own. Extract to your raw/graphics folder in both DF's root and your savegame. Make sure to enable graphics in the init.txt.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 02:16:17 pm »

Ahhh that works. A few animals (yaks jump out at me, and chicks) aren't represented by pictures anymore, but what do I care?

Also, regarding the immigrant thing, if I set the population limit to below my current level, won't that make only extremely small migrant waves come? I seem to remember hearing something about that.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 02:17:33 pm »

Yaks and chicks are both new, so of course aren't in DR.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 03:12:16 pm »

Also, regarding the immigrant thing, if I set the population limit to below my current level, won't that make only extremely small migrant waves come? I seem to remember hearing something about that.
They'll stop coming at all, although it might take a few waves for it to kick in.
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 03:41:07 pm »

Hm. Dwarf Therapist looks pretty cool, but tbh it's more just the sheer mass of dwarves coming in that I find annoying and overwhelming. Just went from 48 to over 60. There's no way to tweak how many migrants arrive?