Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Training miners with danger room  (Read 13982 times)

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Training miners with danger room
« on: June 02, 2011, 05:09:56 pm »

It's possible!

Need 10 legendary miners for megaprojecting? Build a danger room, set to training 10 random dwarves with full armor, no shields (for better results) and picks. Fighting with melee weapon is improved fast this way, but pick fighting is mining - just the same skill. Soon you will get 10 legendary miners, who know how to fight as a bonus.

Just disable/not enable their mining before sending to the danger room: I've seen folks confusing which pick to use: their military one or their digging one. They were running around picking/dropping equipment.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Training miners with danger room
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 06:15:14 pm »

This is a good idea, put into simple topic format. Thanks!

To deal with a possible issue: Will their newfound military skills (developed with the picking) cause depression due to lack of military duty, or will that be counteracted?

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 06:17:05 pm »

Sounds useable to me....actually should have been noticed much earlier...
However I'm a bit biased against danger rooms to be honest :/
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 06:22:40 pm »

To deal with a possible issue: Will their newfound military skills (developed with the picking) cause depression due to lack of military duty, or will that be counteracted?
Mining counts as a non-military skill, so they won't be mad.

Dwarves get mad at being put into civilian life if they have no civilian skills.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 06:48:15 pm »

Dwarves get mad at being put into civilian life if they have no civilian skills.

I was referring to the skills such as dodging and armor use that they get. These are military skills, but my thoughts were the same as yours on this. It probably wouldn't cause problems, but I was checking to see if anyone knew from testing or otherwise.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 06:49:14 pm »

This is begining to sound suspisciously like the perfect military force...

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 06:50:25 pm »

Even if they do get unhappy thoughts from that, just have them spend time in your legendary meeting hall and they'll be just fine.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 06:52:37 pm »

This is begining to sound suspisciously like the perfect military force...
;D

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 08:35:28 pm »

Sounds useable to me....actually should have been noticed much earlier...
However I'm a bit biased against danger rooms to be honest :/
I find danger rooms a bit cheap when used to churn out super-soldiers, but I think using them to produce super miners sounds awesome. (I had previously been doing the reverse; training dwarfs as miners so they would become powerful pick wielding warriors [picks are as good as battle axes].)
Soaplent green is goblins!

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 08:44:18 pm »

Guess I shouldn't have assumed picks using the miner skill for battle was common knowledge after my adventure mode rampages.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 09:02:34 pm »

I'm not really against danger rooms as much as I am against the pathetic enemies. It's why I'm modding the other civs and megabeasts to be enormous. This way, I don't feel guilty, and it's a lot more Fun!

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 09:27:21 pm »

Guess I shouldn't have assumed picks using the miner skill for battle was common knowledge after my adventure mode rampages.

I think it is and it's known that the picks are really decent weapons. However I'm certainly only drafting miners when Fun hits the fan and I guess many other players also prefer their miners to mine instead to die.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 09:48:01 pm »

I think it is and it's known that the picks are really decent weapons. However I'm certainly only drafting miners when Fun hits the fan and I guess many other players also prefer their miners to mine instead to die.
The thing about drafting miners is that weapon skill is a very useful, but it is only one of the combat skills. What I do is in addition to my main miners I have one or two extra miners in training (selected for initial military skills or good stats) who will then be trained on prisoners once they hit legendary mining. (I usually embark with a proficient shield/armor user and them train him to legendary miner and make him my militia captain.)

About training: Something quite interesting I discovered from testing is that wooden crossbows (in melee) make better training weapons (aka being harmless) than actual training weapons. (In 6 10 v 10 fights, the crossbow wielders lost every time to training axes).

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 09:52:26 pm »

A dwarf that's over a certain level (usually the -Lord rank) will be upset when they're relieved from military duty.  An Axelord will be mad and usually refuse to do civilian duties.  However, dodging and armor and other skills are NOT the same.  These are side skills, and only weapon skills will cause them to become elite.  A peasant trained via danger room to use a pick, will be a legendary miner and a recruit (maybe wrestler, if the skills rank weird) but the digging tool is unique because it has a combat skill that isn't military.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 09:56:02 pm »

A dwarf that's over a certain level (usually the -Lord rank) will be upset when they're relieved from military duty.  An Axelord will be mad and usually refuse to do civilian duties.  However, dodging and armor and other skills are NOT the same.  These are side skills, and only weapon skills will cause them to become elite.  A peasant trained via danger room to use a pick, will be a legendary miner and a recruit (maybe wrestler, if the skills rank weird) but the digging tool is unique because it has a combat skill that isn't military.
My elite marksdwarfs never seem to be upset about being repeatedly stationed / returned to civilian. With the pick warriors, I train them to competent in other weapon skills with training weapons so they get the other skills gotten from prisoner training and they don't get the unhappy draft thoughts.
Pages: [1] 2 3