Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Training miners with danger room  (Read 13995 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Training miners with danger room
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 10:36:44 pm »

Define "civilian".  Therapist doesn't allow you to assign an elite soldier civilian duties, because it causes bad thoughts.  They go to civilian life, but they have no jobs, so their civilian time is spent eating and drinking and sleeping.  You CAN use therapist to assign duties if you change some options, but they get upset.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 11:09:20 pm »

Define "civilian".  Therapist doesn't allow you to assign an elite soldier civilian duties, because it causes bad thoughts.  They go to civilian life, but they have no jobs, so their civilian time is spent eating and drinking and sleeping.  You CAN use therapist to assign duties if you change some options, but they get upset.
You can assign them labors if they aren't active in the military.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 09:00:37 am »

However I'm certainly only drafting miners when Fun hits the fan and I guess many other players also prefer their miners to mine instead to die.

The greatest part about this is that you still let your miners mine.  You probably brought a few who got fairly skilled before this room gets set up.  You certainly dont need 10 legendary miners all the time unless you plan on excavating the entire map.  Leave some mining and use the others for combat.  People say swords are the balance between stabby and slicy but its really steel picks.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 09:59:49 am »

You can assign them labors if they aren't active in the military.

Yes. And it is annoying I have to reassign their jobs manually when they are off-duty - they don't get bad thoughts then, on the contrary, they may gain happy thoughts from not being jobless. Deassigning is made automatically by the game when they report for duty. Is there any way to prevent this? It's stupid, because when on duty they cannot do any jobs anyway.

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 01:05:24 pm »

My military is composed mostly of 1/3 time reservists, who spend two months doing civilian jobs, and one month training. I never have to reassign them their civilian jobs.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 01:11:29 pm »

A dwarf that's over a certain level (usually the -Lord rank) will be upset when they're relieved from military duty.  An Axelord will be mad and usually refuse to do civilian duties.  However, dodging and armor and other skills are NOT the same.  These are side skills, and only weapon skills will cause them to become elite.  A peasant trained via danger room to use a pick, will be a legendary miner and a recruit (maybe wrestler, if the skills rank weird) but the digging tool is unique because it has a combat skill that isn't military.
This is not true - military dwarves only get unhappy thoughts if they are released from the military and become "Peasants" with no civilian skills. In other words, it's the exact opposite of dwarves entering the military and become "Recruits" and complaining "about the draft".

You're probably noticing that, when soldiers become Elite, the game turns off all their labors simply because it's confused (since back in 40d and earlier, said dwarves were permanently locked into the military and thus were no longer capable of performing any labors) - the fact that Dwarf Therapist will not allow you to assign labors on them is likewise a holdover from 40d.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 01:13:25 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2011, 01:29:38 pm »

I believe DT has a cheat option that will let you assign labors to anything in the list, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2011, 03:35:37 pm »

This is a good idea, put into simple topic format. Thanks!

To deal with a possible issue: Will their newfound military skills (developed with the picking) cause depression due to lack of military duty, or will that be counteracted?
Mining counts as a non-military skill, so they won't be mad.

Dwarves get mad at being put into civilian life if they have no civilian skills.
This is begining to sound suspisciously like the perfect military force...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011, 04:01:00 pm »

I guess I should have started a thread, though I have mentioned doing this in a few threads recently.  I found it trained faster than actual mining did. (later wave dwarves - not !!scientifically!! verified.)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 07:21:25 am »

Anybody tried this for hunters and woodcutters?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2011, 07:27:29 am »

Anybody tried this for hunters and woodcutters?

I don't think that would work. Mining is special because it uses the weapon skill both for the civilian activity and combat (unlike woodcutting, which has two different skills) and you can't train marksdwarfship in danger rooms anyway.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2011, 07:48:08 am »

A danger room will boost dodge, which may give some extra survivability for your woodcutters and hunters. Since they often meet badgers/unicorns/[insert animal name here] during their work time, having those 3-5 levels in dodge might save their life.
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2011, 07:53:01 am »

Sure, you could danger room every civvie you've got... but the only ones with any specific reasons are the miners, as far as I can see.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2011, 10:05:02 am »

Do they actually attack with a pick, or just parry with it, and counterstrike, as miners do? I am thinking after an experiment with a pick wielding militia commander, he was using shield bash as the attack, and parrying with the pick as a defense.
 Experiment in Adventure mode with a pick weilding test subject is forthcoming.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2011, 04:14:16 pm »

Training as a marksdwarf will boost hunting, as hunting will marksdwarfing, but you can't use a danger room to train ranged skills.

Tirion, how did you even find this thread? It's been dead for over two months.
Pages: 1 [2] 3