Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Nightvision.  (Read 20129 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: Nightvision.
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 09:07:47 am »

How do dwarves fire siege weapons and crossbows while blind?

I don't know about crossbows, but siege weapons are surely fired blindly :)

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 09:11:43 am »

Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

bitterhorn

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Rage Against Dying of Light: Burritos
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 09:15:01 am »

So does this mean human trade liasons are just groping around in the dark, trying to keep up with with whomever they've scheduled their "meeting?"  Man, that's gotta be rough.
It is a world built on pillars that descend into hell itself, yet there is no heaven above to look to. A world where pain and death await all, with little to no salvation from the horrors of the world. There is no true peace, no true saviour. Dwarf fortress is a game about an eternal struggle that you can never, ever win.

Also, valkyries are cooler then angels...

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 09:17:41 am »

So does this mean human trade liasons are just groping around in the dark, trying to keep up with with whomever they've scheduled their "meeting?"  Man, that's gotta be rough.
Well, these mountain halls aren't going to compliment themselves, now are they?
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 09:39:03 am »

Underground has low levels of light and very little air circulation.

Dwarves develop low-light vision (plump helmets are packed with beta carotene!) and their facial follicles become sensitive to the motions that a breeze produces against their beards, which allows them to tell where tunnels turn.

As they go deeper, their eyes become less relied upon, and they adapt further to rely on their whisker-based folli-cation.

These eventually become so sensitive that, should a dwarf venture outside, the wind is the equivalent of multicolored and varying strobe lights. This is as aggravating to a dwarf's folli-cation as a Pink Floyd show seen while sober is to our sight, up to the point of causing nausea.

A *bloated tuber biscuit* has just been awarded!

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 01:56:41 pm »

I wonder if humans in the real world can get something similar, albeit a bit more slowly.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 02:17:36 pm »

Lighting will be added in some point in the future. I think it was listed on the developer's page. Once that happens dwarves and humans won't be able to see in the dark anymore.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 02:24:52 pm »

I was actually going to mod in candles as a tool, but didn't know how to make an item tile.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 03:30:27 pm »

Dorfs live symbiotically with quick-growing, bioluminescent algae, lichen and fungi that provide just enough light to see things.  Miners spend long enough underground that their picks are coated with the stuff, providing them with their own personal and functional lantern.  As they dig, they are also spreading the spores and mycelium of the symbiotes so that they quickly establish in the newly-mined caverns.  When the haulers arrive to cart the chunks of stone away, there is already enough stuff growing on the walls and ceiling that they can see.

That and the beard-based echolocation already mentioned.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 08:57:48 pm »

However, most dwarves have severe alcohol adaptation.... ;)
Not at my fort of 180 dwarves but there are a little bit of shortages right before i take all the alcohal and wood from the caravans seasonly :P
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2011, 08:13:34 am »

What? No one knew that cat leather mittens glow in the dark? Really?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2011, 09:16:26 am »

Human sieges don't charge your front gates like goblins do, they tend to camp at the edge of the map and only come to fight you when you have dwarves/animals above ground.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 09:19:14 am »

Lighting will be added in some point in the future. I think it was listed on the developer's page. Once that happens dwarves and humans won't be able to see in the dark anymore.

At all, or in adventure mode? 'Cause neither humans nor dwarfs can see underground in adventure mode,

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2011, 09:55:36 am »

If you've ever had a balistae or a squad of marksdwarves fire at an enemy, you'd know that dwarves close their eyes when they shoot, so it doesn't really matter if they have eyes or not.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
  • Elifre mutters "Project A.R.M.O.K. needs dorfs..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2011, 03:47:57 pm »

I wonder if humans in the real world can get something similar, albeit a bit more slowly.

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20060325

Yes. Yes they can.
All hail the mighty Project A.R.M.O.K.!
Applejack is the worst pony, Loud Whispers.
Quote from: Elifre
Fear the mighty lungfish!
DEAR ARMOK THE TURKEYS ARE HATCHING!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3