Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 48

Author Topic: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! RUN COMPLETED  (Read 318651 times)

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
Re: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! Part VII: Yard of Dreams
« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2011, 03:07:04 am »

This is fun, Monk12!  Thanks for playing this so I DON'T HAVE TO WASTE 50 HOURS OF MY LIFE!  Ahem.  Sorry, I'm still bitter about Pokemon Gold.   >:(
You didn't like Generation 2?

No, I DID.  That was the problem.   :-[  Actually the Gold I was referring to was the recent remake.
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! Part VIII: Terrible Toddlers
« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2011, 05:20:16 am »

5 bajillion joins for the slackerz comic. That brings you up to an infinity bajillion points. Well done!

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 26, 2011, 07:39:26 am »

RIP, darker and edgier Pokemon.
Well done, Monk. This is just dawning on me, but what in nine hells is with the barons, knights, kings, orangutangs, ladies, and various royalty garbage? Is it your addition or have the games suddenly realized what they are doing and need some sort of royalty justification to brutally slaughter creatures? All in all, hilarious.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 26, 2011, 08:08:09 am »

It's his addition
It's FEF, not FEOF

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 26, 2011, 11:18:32 am »

Although... the video that plays when you start up the game is REALLY not like other pokemon games and involves some guy being crowned for some reason, so it may not be completely out of nowhere. A couple screenshots are in one of the first content posts on this thread, but let's see if I can find that video...

yup, here we go: Link!

Edit: Whoa. I ended up getting this and the nurse at the pokecenter just asked if it was my birthday. It is, but... how does she KNOW?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 11:43:43 am by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 26, 2011, 11:45:00 am »

You entered it on your ds I think
It's FEF, not FEOF

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 26, 2011, 12:27:02 pm »

Although... the video that plays when you start up the game is REALLY not like other pokemon games and involves some guy being crowned for some reason, so it may not be completely out of nowhere. A couple screenshots are in one of the first content posts on this thread, but let's see if I can find that video...

yup, here we go: Link!

Edit: Whoa. I ended up getting this and the nurse at the pokecenter just asked if it was my birthday. It is, but... how does she KNOW?
Don't you program the DS with your birthday date?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 26, 2011, 08:34:36 pm »

RIP, darker and edgier Pokemon.
Well done, Monk. This is just dawning on me, but what in nine hells is with the barons, knights, kings, orangutangs, ladies, and various royalty garbage? Is it your addition or have the games suddenly realized what they are doing and need some sort of royalty justification to brutally slaughter creatures? All in all, hilarious.

At this point, it is my addition. It sprang from a series of conversations I've had with my friends trying to justify the events and politics of Pokemon- the reason I decided to include it to the extent I have is because the opening video did have some guy being crowned king, as Bluerobin has so helpfully linked to. With any luck, that backstory will dovetail nicely with the crap I'm making up- if not, I get to be super creative in trying to reconcile them.

Incidentally, maybe 25% of the dialogue is lifted from the game itself. I tend to elaborate a lot on what they're saying since that is my main way of communicating the action, and as a result a lot of "this character said something stupid" jokes gets cut for the sake of flow- in particular, just about everything Team Plasma says is not very well written. If I were doing a more traditional screencap LP I could easily spend every update ripping the dialogue to shreds.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 26, 2011, 10:03:47 pm »

Don't you program the DS with your birthday date?
Yeah I kind of assumed, but I wasn't sure because it's been so long. Either that or when I set up the online account thing I'm sure it asked for it there, and I probably used my real one for some reason.

You got me really thinking about how the world of the pokemon games actually works monk. It's worse than most other games (where does the food actually come from in most games? The most you ever really see is some gardens) because the presence of any sort of police is a complete crapshoot, a LOT of people don't actually seem to have jobs, the entire population of the world is often less than 500 people (I guess these three actually kind of go together... that size "world" is actually just one town, really spread out. Everyone SHOULD know each other well enough that crime is mostly nonexistant and it could probably function on some crazy barter system), and the only source of meat is pokemon, which you could also have as a pet (similar to our own world except that according to the anime the vast majority of them understand human speech and can reply, showing that they're probably sentient and intelligent beings). That was poorly written and probably rehashed from somewhere earlier in this thread, but I'm tired, so there. :P

Don't know if I've said it recently, but great LP, keep it up. :)
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2011, 10:30:28 pm »

I always just assumed that they ate their Pokemon.
Because, really, what else are they gonna do? Eat nothing but vegetables and fish?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 26, 2011, 11:01:51 pm »

Some of the earlhy pokedexs do mention the hunting and eating of pokemon such as farfetch but then again some of them also mention real life animals
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 26, 2011, 11:05:01 pm »

and the only source of meat is pokemon, which you could also have as a pet (similar to our own world except that according to the anime the vast majority of them understand human speech and can reply, showing that they're probably sentient and intelligent beings).
Wasn't there a scene in the anime where they were eating Tauro Burgers???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 26, 2011, 11:33:29 pm »

and the only source of meat is pokemon, which you could also have as a pet (similar to our own world except that according to the anime the vast majority of them understand human speech and can reply, showing that they're probably sentient and intelligent beings).
Wasn't there a scene in the anime where they were eating Tauro Burgers???
It is confirmed, in game, that they eat pokemon. I think it was sapphire/ruby.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 27, 2011, 02:32:58 pm »

Because, really, what else are they gonna do? Eat nothing but vegetables and fish?

The fish are Pokemon too, remember?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 27, 2011, 02:41:05 pm »

And likely a vast majority of the vegetables, as well. Hell, the grass is probably some kind of low-key pokemon no one's figured out how to talk to yet.

It's stuff like that, that makes concepts like cthulhumon more viable. An entire ecosystem built on the consumption of intelligent beings.

The real question is how the hell humans are even alive, even in limited population. There's more than one pokemon that eats 'em (re: the bats), to say nothing of the ones that just wreck the joint.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 48