Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 48

Author Topic: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! RUN COMPLETED  (Read 314050 times)

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
Re: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! Part XI: PLASMAAAA!
« Reply #270 on: August 02, 2011, 12:15:36 am »

Is it worth getting?  I couldn't finish Silver.
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 02, 2011, 11:55:35 am »

Well in my opinion, this is the game with the best plot. In terms of gameplay I can't say because I don't have much opinions on such things.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 11:57:20 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 02, 2011, 12:13:01 pm »

What I do miss, is haveing the first pokemon in my team to follow me around wherever I go.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #273 on: August 02, 2011, 12:43:34 pm »

What I do miss, is haveing the first pokemon in my team to follow me around wherever I go.

in what pokemon was it? i only remember yellow with pikachu!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 02, 2011, 12:43:55 pm »

Heartgold and Soulsilver
It's FEF, not FEOF

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! Part XI: Pants on the Ground
« Reply #275 on: August 05, 2011, 08:23:49 pm »

PART XII: Pants on the Ground

It is time for me to make some minor corrections to the plot, dear reader.

The first is that I found a Miracle Seed on the way out of Pinwheel Forest- it's an item that boosts Grass-type moves in the same way Marvin's Mystic Water boosts Water-type moves. Since I don't have a Grass-type Pokemon, I neglected to mention it, but for the sake of clerical diligence I shall record the incident here.

The second is that, after defeating Lenora, Bianca gave me a Dowsing Machine. The Dowsing Machine is a device that allows you to detect hidden items on the ground. I did not bother to record this acquisition because I assumed it was like the Itemfinder from Gen I. The Itemfinder only worked when you specifically activated it, and it only made a beeping noise if a hidden item was on the screen somewhere- in other words, it was practically useless unless you felt like activating it every twelve steps.

The Dowsing Machine, on the other hand, runs on the second screen of the Nintendo DS constantly while you use it, and it points in the direction of the nearest hidden item. This makes it MUCH more convenient and useful than the Itemfinder, although it takes away the thrill of randomly finding hidden stuff. Suffice it to say that about halfway through this update I begin turning the Dowsing Machine on everywhere I go.

BUT ANYWAY

Damn, I should have been a chick- wait she's twelve AUGH

Skyarrow Bridge starts with a gatehouse much like any other- indeed, the only reason it is worth mentioning is because a random person gives me a Quick Claw for no good reason. A Quick Claw, for those keeping score at home, is an item that sometimes allows the Pokemon holding it to strike first in a battle, regardless of speed or other considerations. Since I have exactly two Pokemon, and Marvin already has the item he'll hold the rest of the game, Heinrich gets the Quick Claw.

Skyarrow Bridge itself is a large suspension bridge that connects the road from Pinwheel Forest to Castelia City. It is a rather scenic route, as the game takes advantage of the straight path and 3D technology (no not that 3D) to switch the camera angle around, providing wide angles and zoomed out shots. What I found more interesting, however, were the trucks.

No, not that truck

The only part of Skyarrow Bridge I can access is a footbridge that runs down the center, but below that on either side is a regular road. On that road, a truck makes its rounds hauling freight of some kind. Mind you, it's only one truck, and despite the fact it is heading to a major city (perhaps the major city) there is no other traffic. But still- technology! Exciting!

Well, maybe not that exciting- it doesn't help the rest of this bridge is underpopulated, with no trainers and few NPC's. It seems like something of a waste, to have this enormous bridge and only 6 pedestrians and a truck to use it. This is probably why previous games just have you Surf across the ocean, quite apart from how much cooler surfing is.

BUT ANYWAY- Castelia City!

No, not that... wait, yes, that city. Right there. That's where I am.

Castelia City is pretty freaking big- Five piers, Four roads (discounting the exit to Route 4,) and a central park give you access to a metropolis of skyscrapers and, er, some boats. In particular, there's this one evil black boat I'll probably be visiting later, but right now I don't care about that. I'm pretty sure I'm about to be ambushed by somebody (probably Bianca- we're due for a fight) and I still only have 2 Pokemon. Since Skyarrow Bridge was a big fat bust, I go ahead to frolic in the grass of Route 4.

Route Four- artist's conception
  Oh what the bloody hell, how am I supposed to find some tall grass out here?
  Hey kid, just wander around in the sand- you'll find some Pokemon. Just be careful, the sandstorm will damage your Pokemon every turn.
  Why thank you! Who knew strangers were so helpful! *step*
  *WILD SCRAGGY APPEARED!*
  ...DAMN YOU, CONSTRUCTION WORKER! DAMN YOU TO HELL!

So it's like a pants-based Honey Badger, I guess?

So, um, Urkel- let's take a look under the hood.
  [Too bad you already used a "hood" joke, huh?]

Urkel, lvl 17, Dark/Fighting. Lonely nature, somewhat stubborn. Ability- Shed Skin. The Pokemon may heal its own status problems. That's pretty cool, I- wait, it sheds? *shudder*

Urkel knows Swagger, a move which boosts the attack of the enemy while making it confused. SAND ATTACK is your basic Accuracy Reducing move, Headbutt has good power and has a chance to make your opponent flinch, losing its turn, and Faint Attack- dark type, always hits. Replace Swagger with Rock Smash, and we're good to go!

Time to explore!

Back at the central Park, I meet a wandering street performer.

Behold my slick street style!
  Yeah, that's kinda lame. I'm pretty sure my Scraggy could do better than that.
  [My time to shine!]
  You'll pay for that! Go, Pansage!
  [Step off, bro!]
  Oh what the hell- why does everyone have these pathetic things?
  Not everyone gets their Pokemon hand picked and delivered to their house by a famous Pokemon Researcher- some of us need to pay for ours.
  Sorry, I was too busy curb-stomping you to have any sympathy.
  Ah, what's the point- I'll never kick my game up to the next level unless I get some homies to jam with. Hey, if you see any other street dancers, can you get them to join my group?
  I'm trying to become Leader of the Free World, I don't have time to consort with any old street urchin I come across.
  I've got a reward!
  I'm your man!

Heading down Narrow Street, a man jumps out from behind a dumpster and flashes me. Ok, not really, but he does give me TM70- Flash. Flash reduces the enemies accuracy, and illuminates dark places (normally there's a cave or two you need it in.) Flash used to have terrible accuracy (making it much worse than SAND ATTACK,) AND it used to be an HM so you couldn't forget it. Even though it is now slightly more useful than SAND ATTACK, there are still better options.

Narrow Street is also home to the Cafe Sonata- although I receive a complimentary Lemonade, there is no promise of future free things. More excitingly, I spy another Dancer here

Hey you! You'd be much better as a supporting cast member!
  What!?! I'll show you who's the supporting cast member!
  [Rock the casbah!]
  ...you guys are all gonna have these things, aren't you.
  Hey, it's practically the only Pokemon you can get without leaving city limits.

The disposable razor of the Pokemon world

Anywho, now that your ass is thoroughly beat, get yourself to the Central Plaza.
  Hm, maybe some homies to hang with wouldn't be such a bad idea.
  Fo' shizzle.
  Nobody says that anymore. Please end yourself.

Gym Street, surprise surprise, has the Pokemon Gym on it. I don't give it more than a cursory glance, for fear of triggering plot. Castelia Street and Mode Street are interesting in that they have a bunch of nameless, faceless, dialogueless NPC's running up and down to simulate the hustle and bustle of a big city, but by and large they are uninteresting. Sure, there's Studio Castelia, where everyone who isn't Burgh shows off their illustrated Unovan History fanfic, and there's CasteliaCone, the ice cream vendor with the inability to serve every (or any, really) customer, and I should probably mention the fourth-wall shattering Game Freak HQ (much less interesting than Gen I's, I might add,) but I don't really care. MOVING ON!

The waterfront has a few interesting things- first, there's the Battle Company, which I assume is like the Battle Tower in Gen II. I may come back through to check it out later, but right now I don't want to risk my team in pointless deathmatches. There's also the Passerby Analytics HQ, which is some kind of survey thing where, assuming you use the C-Gear and play this game in public, allows you to give and gather information about other players. In other words, it's social gaming bullshit I don't care about. MOVING ON!

There's a bunch of boats at the piers, but most notably is a big black evil boat.

Like this, but more nefarious

Damn thing might as well have TEAM PLASMA! KEEP OUT! NO GIRLS ALLOWED! written in big block letters. However, I do find another Dancer. This time, I try a more diplomatic approach.

You there, vagabond! I'm making you an offer you can't refuse!
  I refuse!
  [Hooray pointless belligerence!]
  [DEATH FROM ABOVE!!!]
  Thank you, Heinrich. Now, you tramp, come with me to the Central Plaza.

*BATMAN NOISES*

Hey, you did it! Here, have an Amulet Coin. It increases the money you get from fights.
  How exactly does it do that?
  Magic?
  So what should we call our gang?
  How about the Jets?
  I like it! When you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way!
  From your first cigarette, to your last dying day!
  My God, what have I done!?!

Realizing I may have just added to (or worse, started) Castelia City's gang problem, I decide this would be a good time to skip town. Since I need to do some training anyway, I start by backtracking to the Challenge Rock in Pinwheel Forest. I get a Star Piece for my trouble, which is apparently this game's Nugget- an item whose sole purpose is its high sell value. Since I'm not exactly hurting for cash, I'm not terribly impressed.

So, after getting more free stuff from the Nacrene City Cafe, I decide to go finish exploring Route 4 (and holy cow, I hope I get Fly or a Bike or something before I have to cross that bridge again.) The main route is closed to construction, and my progress is impeded by a pushy construction worker and a handful of those Mew-forsaken traffic cones.

u mad?

Fortunately, there is a fair bit of space to explore off the beaten path. Quite apart from the fugly wild Pokemon, I get to battle some fugly trainers and their fugly Pokemon, pad my wallet and find a couple uninteresting items. This is actually fairly uninteresting.

What's that? It's my job to make boring crap interesting? FINE.

HAVE A MONTAGE

[LIVE TO WIN!]
  ['till you die!]
  ['till the light dies in your eyes!]
  [Live to win!]
  [TAKE IT ALL!]
  Just keep fighting till you fall!
  [Day by day, kicking all the way!]
  [I'm not caving in.]
  Let another round begin!
  [LIVE TO WIN!]
   [YEAH! LIVE!]
  [YEAH!]
  [WIN!]

NEXT TIME: Burgh
Suggestions, Comments, Criticism welcome as always.

Spoiler: Routes Visited (click to show/hide)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! Part XII: Pants on the Ground
« Reply #276 on: August 05, 2011, 08:39:10 pm »

When you eventually travel past route 4, there is something that you might want to know about it. I'm not sure if you know it but it's not plot related, however it might be important in the way you portray it as it portains to it's real life counterpart location. It's not a spoiler but I don't know if you mind me posting it or pm-ing it or something

Also I iz dissapointed in the lack of Skyarrow bridge screenshots    :P   Me and my cousins always considered it rather breathtaking the first time we saw it

Also the bit about Scraggys shed skin. Yeah that's what it's pants are.

Also the battle company is not  the battle tower, and I would advise you to visit it at some point to pick up an extremely useful item. (But be careful. Some of the people there can be pretty tough)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:48:41 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 06, 2011, 09:56:11 pm »

The bridge took my breath away..
Also, what are nuzlock rules concerning cities cause I think there are two pokemon you can get in castelia city, one is a weak legendary and the other is delicious( I swept the 8th gym leader with it), however I’m not sure if you can obtain it in the city there was just an in game TV report suggesting it. :-\)
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 06, 2011, 09:57:12 pm »

You need an event Celebi that came out for the 2nd generation remakes to get Zorua
It's FEF, not FEOF

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 06, 2011, 10:03:28 pm »

The bridge took my breath away..
Also, what are nuzlock rules concerning cities cause I think there are two pokemon you can get in castelia city, one is a weak legendary and the other is delicious( I swept the 8th gym leader with it), however I’m not sure if you can obtain it in the city there was just an in game TV report suggesting it. :-\)

Cities count as their own area, so again, first Pokemon I can get. For example, if I need a water type later on I'll go to a town that has water in it like Striaton.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 07, 2011, 03:52:52 pm »

You need an event Celebi that came out for the 2nd generation remakes to get Zorua
I wasn't talking about Celebi, Iwas talking about Victini( The rat that flashes what appears to be a gang sign of some sort....)
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 07, 2011, 04:45:43 pm »

...Victini is not a rat. It's based off of culinary art in which apples are carved in the shape of bunny ears. And it's the V for victory sign, not meant to be a gang sign. It's an event Pokemon and you require a special ticket that was distributed over wifi when the game first came out to get it.
It's FEF, not FEOF

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 07, 2011, 04:52:36 pm »

Are you sure it's not V for peace sign?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile