Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 48

Author Topic: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! RUN COMPLETED  (Read 314652 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! Part XIX: Elesa
« Reply #450 on: December 09, 2011, 12:37:55 pm »

Wait, which of the two versions is this again?

This one is Pokemon Black.

And yeah, her head seems a little large but I think that's just because the rest of her is disproportionately skinny.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 09, 2011, 12:46:47 pm »

Wait, which of the two versions is this again?

This one is Pokemon Black.

The perfect one if you
Spoiler: Oops, spoiler! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 12:51:28 pm by Ultimuh »

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 11, 2011, 01:43:51 am »

It's a city/forest. That is also black/white. I don't see the racist part anywhere. :P
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 11, 2011, 10:05:39 am »

The perfect one if you
Spoiler: Oops, spoiler! (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 24, 2011, 09:32:24 pm »

Spoiler: Holiday Update (click to show/hide)

A happy Yuletide to you all, and no this isn't dead :P

TheMasterTurtle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a turtle and a master
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 28, 2011, 10:33:13 pm »

Please, update.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 29, 2011, 06:19:43 pm »

Hey don't rush the man a masterpiece takes time.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

zhagsten

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 05, 2012, 12:28:56 pm »

Hello!

I came here from the "Child Care" thread after hitting on a link of doom in the sig of the OP. I took time to register to reply because it's a fun story and it could be useful for other parts of the forums. But I have a few remarks after reading this thread.

First of all, the mention of Ralts as a poor pokémon and the mention of it being better in competitive gameplay : well that's really strange to hear because both Gallame and Gardevoir are really good in PvE and Gallame is particulary interresting in PvP. Alakzam isn't very pratical in PvE, especially in a Nuzlocke run because it requires a trade and it's fragile as glass. However in PvP it still have its place as a glass cannon, although choices are very limited (I don't believe it's reasonable to play it Calm Minder). Alakazam is high speed and high special attack. On the other hand, Gardevoir's awesome movepool is helped by its nice special defence, keeping a big special attack. There's a lot of ways to play a Gardevoir (support, sweeper, dual screener...). But it's not much played in PvP because Azelf does it better. Gallame's additional fight type helped him to have its place in PvP.

Secondly, on the topic of competitive gameplay denaturing the spirit of the game. I disagree profoundly. I understand the argument about min-maxing and diving into metagame to excerpt the best of pokémon, although it's a bit strange to hear that from a DF forum where everyone is discussing how-to's and modding to reach their evil schemes. However I will oppose it that competitive gameplay is what made me know ALL the pokémon far deeper than any PvE trainer. I know all their strength and flaws and that made me love the odd ones a lot more. Before that, Nidoran♂ was just a crappy pokémon along the road, after that I went on epic adventures with my Nidoking. Even if you don't PvP, trying to make a good team for Tower battles teaches you great things about all of them. And competitive gameplay is also about splitting them in tiers so you can have fun figuring out a good team of cute pokémon while some others just throw their legendary cosmos breaking deities against each other.
To go further, I'd say that the Anime series is the one denaturing Pokémon. They spend their time breaking the rules, and when they explain one, that's in order to break it even more blatantly the minute after. Remember how they explain the Focus Punch move fails if the pokémon is hit in the beginning of Gen4? Remember it because from this instant they will use it to counter the foe's attacks by hitting faster with it. Try to do that on your cardridge. Also, in the Anime series they are all admiring the most unpractical moves like Giga Impact or Hyper Beam, just like teenagers only looking at the big number in the "power" column when the constraints are very high. Attention span fail.
So guys, you can be aware of all the mechanisms, know what's best, and still not be a cold-hearted Paul.

Thirdly, about contests and super-contests... personally I love them. You can take the pokémon you want, the pokémon you love, and even if it won't be the champion beater you need for the badge, they have a chance in the contest. Again, you have to know your pokémon, give it good contest moves to shine, prepare poffins... and the rest is reflexes and a bit of luck. The Master level super-contests are a whole different difficulty and it's very achieving to have these badges.
The Pokéathlon is also really great. Some events are more difficult than other, but it's always fun to see how you can break records with "outsiders". I really like to spend time in these mini-games.
The musical on the contrary is really disappointing to me. You do good, you dress your pokémon like a tramp, you do your best or your worse... it's the same result. Nothing achieving behind, no goal either short- or long-term. It's sad.

Finally, about this LP : I like Nuzlocke, I like the sarcastic tone because Pokémon's world is often very absurd and that's funny to point it out. And I like the use of images, it's different from the usual Nuzlocke comics, but it works well. All in all, thank you for the fun!  ;)

NB: When I read someone saying thanks to this story, he wouldn't have to spend 50h playing the game, I thought of the time he'll spend reading the forum and it made me laugh!  :P

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 05, 2012, 05:02:50 pm »

So you are saying is that you don't like the anime because it's battle strategies and behaviors don't match up perfectly with the game and doesn't portray any elements from the metagame within it?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 05:16:49 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: January 05, 2012, 06:23:02 pm »

I liked the anime but now....Ash...they...they....RAPED HIM......RAPED HIM.... :'(
A comparison
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: January 05, 2012, 06:25:51 pm »

...the only difference I see is his eye design, I don't see much of a problem. If you are reffering to his wardrobe change from the original...  I still don't really see the issue here

. Personally I'm automatically in support of the current season of the anime just for giving Team Rocket a competence upgrade.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 06:30:07 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 05, 2012, 06:30:43 pm »

that was needed but I do remember the days of them not being abled to do anything right... I feel old and I'm just a freshman in high school.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

zhagsten

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 05, 2012, 07:35:22 pm »

So you are saying is that you don't like the anime because it's battle strategies and behaviors don't match up perfectly with the game and doesn't portray any elements from the metagame within it?
Not exactly. I like the anime for other reasons. But even if I can accept that in their battles they can ask their pokémon to dodge an attack, there are elements that are just smoked wtfbbq abuse, like using an attack to defend or overdramatization leading to a pokémon taking 4x super effective damage and still standing because it's depited as strong when even 20 levels of difference wouldn't suffice, another falling for x1/2 damage just because the trainer has to be shown in the beginning of the learning curve... sometimes that's too much.

Also, I /facepalm when I see Ash sending his Gliscor against an Ice type pokémon. Of course he's gonna attack the ice attack with a fire fang move to defend with an attack. I'm intrigued when Cynthia wins with her Garchomp for the wrong reason despite wasting a slot with Giga Impact when Garchomp is easily one of the most powerful non-legendary pokémon.

Now that said, they can do whatever they want in contests, the rules are totally different from the game, it's clear so I have nothing to say. I cheer Dawn, May and "Jessilina" because it's fun to see. BTW one of the reason I like the anime is that Team Rocket is actually touching when they do things with their hearts. <3 Jessie  :D

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 05, 2012, 08:17:01 pm »

I feel like I must point out that the game's battles and stats are meant to simulate a battle like the kind that would appear in the adaptations, which are physical worlds unconstrained by numbers and statistics that place more emphasis on creative use of the of attacks and the environment.
It's FEF, not FEOF

zhagsten

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 05, 2012, 08:24:16 pm »

Then I'm forced to point out that when the rules of the world are changing wildly to support an obvious narration arc, I'm more likely to believe the set rules of the game. The world of the game, despite needing stats and numbers, is more coherent and believable than the self-contradicting world of the anime. That's certainly why I place my knowledge of the game above the experience of the anime characters.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 48