Ladies and Gentlemen, allow me to introduce myself. I'm a cranky old grognard who hasn't played a Pokemon game since Pokemon Crystal, and hasn't loved one since Red. I've sneered in derision at the nonsensical plots and frivolous additions to a game I held dear as a wee lad. Until last week, I didn't have a Nintendo DS- I had a Gameboy Color, and I skipped the Advance entirely. I've become a fan of Nuzlocke runs,
however, and enjoy the added difficulty and maturity it lends to this saccharine setting.
And one day, as I readied my party to face down Gary on my way to Victory Road, I thought to myself, I remember this fight. He kicked my ass my first playthrough, because I didn't know he was coming.
If only I could bring back that innocence, that risk of the unknown, that pure time when I didn't have preternatural awareness of the next fight, the hidden items, the exact effects of every move and mechanic. If only it was new, again, for the first time.
You'll never guess where this is going.
seriously, wtf is that shit? an alligator? back in my day, you could figure out what the damn thing was just by looking at it
Tomorrow I'll be heading out to the store to buy either Pokemon Black or Pokemon White. If you folks have a preference, let me know, otherwise I'll flip a coin. I'll be playing this on my DS, so you won't get screencaps, but I plan on inserting a lot of
appropriate art into my posts to keep this LP from being a wall of text.
1) If a Pokemon faints, it is dead. It cannot be revived or healed in any way, and at the earliest opportunity it must be permanently boxed in a designated Grave box.
2) I may only catch the first Pokemon I find in each location. If it faints, SUCKS TO BE ME.
3) Battle Style = Set. No pansy free switches when an opponents Pokemon faints.
4) No Metagaming! I may poll this thread for information on specific Pokemon (learnsets, when to evolve, etc) but I cannot look up things like puzzle solutions, plot twists, rival locations, or any other nonsense like that.
5) No Savescumming! Because, seriously, that would kinda defeat the point.
6) If all my Pokemon faint in a normal trainer/gym battle, I may continue playing if I have legitimate Pokemon in a box (although at that point I'm likely unable to win at all.) If all my Pokemon faint while fighting a wild Pokemon or a VILLAIN then I am assumed to have been killed, and its game over.
7) If I need a Pokemon with a particular HM to advance the plot, and I do not have one and cannot get one, then its a Nonstandard Game Over.
COROLLARY TO RULE 4- USE SPOILER TAGS WHEN DISCUSSING... er, SPOILERS! I encourage kibitzing on my run, and you're welcome to chat about how difficult Gym X will be with my current party of Y, but as far as speculating about the unforeseeable FUN that will likely end this run, put it in spoiler tags.
That's the first hit for audience participation google image search will give you. Nice to put a face to my fans.
Because this would just be some kind of terrible fanfic without it! Obviously, part of the whole point of this run is that I don't know what's coming, so I won't be putting major decisions up for audience choice (well, apart from what version of this game to buy, anyway,) and by the nature of the game I'll be using whatever Pokemon fall to me, so party creation is somewhat out of the question.
That said, I'll be letting you (yes, you!) choose Pokemon to nickname. Given the relatively small party size, I had the thought we could do it as a community game. Basically, every forumite can make a guess about what Pokemon I'll first encounter in each area as I adventure, and suggest a nickname for that Pokemon (your forum name is acceptable, or a unique name you come up with.)
If that is the Pokemon I end up catching in that area, I'll use your suggested name. If multiple forumites guess the right Pokemon, then I'll randomly decide between the correct guesses. You can find a list of places Pokemon show up in these games on Bulbapedia
as well as the probability that a particular Pokemon will show up in each area. If nobody guesses correctly, I'll make something up on the spot. If a forumite has already named a party member, they are free to keep guessing, but will not be entered into the name drawing unless every other correct guess also has a named party member.
I am of course receptive to suggestions for other ways I can get you guys involved, as well as open to criticisms, critiques, and general feedback on the format and execution of this LP in general. If anybody knows a good site for Pokemon fanart to spice up this thread, please let me know, especially if it isn't a quivering mound of spoilers like Bulbapedia!
I'm very likely to get my ass handed to me the first time my rival shows up, but hey, it'll probably be pretty funny. I'll post a prologue tomorrow morning-ish to open the voting for starter Pokemon. Now get off my lawn you damn kids.