Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 48

Author Topic: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! RUN COMPLETED  (Read 317336 times)

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! Part V: Free Monkies!
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2011, 06:59:32 am »

Is anyone else reading the character's dialogue in a British accent, or is that just me?

Wait... That wasn't just me? Creepy.

I didn't use to.

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2011, 08:32:58 am »

Brock with Charmander...so many bad memories... and it was worse in yellow version.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2011, 09:13:41 am »

Oh god, Yellow. I never got past Brock.

Much preferred Blue with Squirtle. And my Wartortle had learned bite before I got to Misty, so I crushed her fairly easily, too. The electric boss was my wakeup call.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2011, 10:06:00 am »

Charmander

*sigh*

That was definitely my best runthrough of the game.  Eeeeeever.  11:28, start to finish, Charmander only.

Probably only took that long because I kept getting lost in Viridian Forest.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2011, 02:08:25 pm »

I'm only fifteen so my first pokemon experience was fire red, I don't know if this was true in other versions but in fire red charmander learned metal claw at a relatively low level(either that or I really sucked at catching pidgy) so Brock was a synch, Misty however *shudders*, after I beat misty for some reason I couldn't find the exit to cerulean city....I actually thought you needed to grind the money to but the bicycle to leave........by the time I left cerulean city for the first time I had a charizard, who later went on to one shot a moltres with flamethrower...true story.....to this day that charizard(my first pokemon)  rests on my pokemon pearl cartridge...and is the only reason I still keep pokemon pearl.
Anyway, I am loving this LP keep up the goodwork....also to add to my acomplishments I swept the final gymleader with a vanillish.....
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2011, 02:17:59 pm »

Yeah they changed the starter pokemon move sets in the remakes, since steel-type didn't exist in the originals. I thought you could get oddish/bellsprout before Brock. ...Although now that I think about it maybe that was for Misty, because you could power through Brock with a charmander + ember if you were a bit overleveled.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2011, 03:22:40 pm »

Mah.  Original red version.

Brock: Ember

Misty: Slash (as a Charmeleon)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2011, 03:28:01 pm »

Pfah, everyone knows charmander could easily beat brock by grinding a lot :D That and kakuna's. :P

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 15, 2011, 03:34:57 pm »

Yeah, but then it's pretty easy to go through the 8 bosses with any one Pokemon, anyway... it's not like it was really necessary to catch anything.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2011, 03:38:34 pm »

Brock: butterfree's confusion
Everything else: Kadabra (Or even better, trade evolve it)

Hell yea psychic playthrough.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2011, 04:31:55 pm »

You do know that Butterfree owns Brock. And the fact that a Catapie levels so quickly (7>10) you can easily get one strong enough to one hit Brock without even using your starter. True Trainers FOUND their Type Advantage, they didn't get given them...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2011, 05:02:32 pm »

This is starting to be disturbingly similar to the situation in DF...
But yeah, psychic are/were slightly ridiculous
I just found it infuriating the gratuitous grinding needed to get past the first gym...followed by a blitzkrieg pace of one uber Pokemon bulldozing through everything.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! Part VI: Cilan
« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2011, 10:41:48 pm »

Before getting under way here, I'd just like to remind everyone that Battle Style is Set. This means that when an opponent's Pokemon faints, I don't get a free switch when a new Pokemon comes in. It hasn't come up before now, and my forgetting of this fact is a partial explanation for the battle to follow.

For your viewing pleasure, may I suggest the following musical accompaniment. I recommend hitting play right after the appearance of this episode's special guest.

Welcome to Striaton City Gym! I'm Cilan, Viscount of Striaton, and these are my brothers, the Viscounts Cress and Chili.
  Hey.
  How are ya?
  Hi, um, fairly well I suppose. I'm Lord Monk, son of the Baron of Nuvema, here to challenge you for the Trio Badge. This is my first Gym, apologies if I'm missing some of the formalities.
  Don't worry too much about it, we don't stand much on formality here. Your name and registry information is all we really need, but we'll be making something of a production of this.
  Our father, the late Earl, dearly enjoyed his challenges, and would often turn his tourneys into "dinner theater" to entertain the Plebeians. We've taken it a step farther.
  We're on TV!
  ...You can't be serious.
  Quite serious! You are the next contestant on Unovan Idol!
  Are you telling me you've turned our country's oldest and noblest tradition into a reality TV show?
  Sure did.
  We're the most popular show on Thursday nights, and we're working on a licensing deal with some of the other Gyms!
  Kicking your ass is going to feel so very, very good.
  Great! We love to see a little fire in our challengers!
  It's good for ratings, too.
  But we've dragged on long enough. Allow me to introduce our announcer this evening, special guest John Madden.
  Thanks Cilan. Tonight we're hosting the first Gym Battle of a real up and comer from Nuvema Town, Lord Monk. His headliner is an Oshawott by the name of Marvin, a very rare Pokemon and a real treat for the fans at home. Marvin will face some problems against Cilan's leaf-type Pokemon, however, so his supporting cast is going to have to step up. Marvin is backed up by the energetic Lillipup Pompey- I tell ya, this guy really has a motor on him! And finally, the rookie of the group, Mojo Jojo, a Pansear. Monk is really counting on this youngster to rise to the occasion and produce in a big way. The battle will begin right after these messages!
  How did he know all of that? Has he been following me this entire time?
  What can I say, he's the best there is. Anyhow, let's get this show on the road.
  Finally. Go, Mojo Jojo!
  Do it, Lillipup!
  A poor job of anticipation by the challenger- Lillipup is a power back that can roll right over Mojo Jojo, leaving Monk unprepared for the grass type to follow. Trainers have to watch for what they don't want to see and listen for what they don't want to hear.
  Crap, I thought this was a grass gym. Mojo, return! You can take'm, Pompey!
  [I LOVE TAKING HIM!]
  *tackle*
  An interesting tactic- these Lillipup's are equal level, but Monk has sacrificed the initiative in order to level the playing field.
  *Tackle Bite*
  *Bite Tackle*
  Low health, shouldn't risk it. Return, Pompey! Finish him, Marvin!
  [Now I'm on reality TV? This is so demeaning.]
  *CRITICAL HIT*
  [FUCK OFF YOU LOWLIFE BASTARD]
  *faints*
  Go, Pansage!
  [Hai Guise!]
  Here's a matchup our challenger didn't want to see- the grass type Pansage squared off against the water type Marvin!
  Mew's left whisker! Marvin, return! Get out there, Mojo Jojo!
  [Hello, type advantage.]
  *Work Up!*
  Work Up is the signature move of the Striaton City Gym Leaders- it raises both Attack and Special Attack, giving the user a powerful advantage.
  *Incinerate*
  Incinerate is the Fire-type move available to Pansear at this level- it is a weak move, but has a chance to destroy a held berry. Although Pansear has type advantage in this matchup, Pansage has the veteran experience and stat raising ability to overcome this deficit, and the speed advantage to use it.
  *Work Up Fury Swipes Work Up*
  *Incinerate Incinerate Incinerate*
  *Vine Whip! CRITICAL HIT*
  [hrk] *faint*
  What a hit! That's a situation where discipline pays off- now Monk has lost his type advantage. It's a big blow to the team. At the same time, it allows other people to step up, take on new roles.
  Oh what the hell. Finish him off Pompey, he only needs one hit! Have a Potion and polish him off.
  [I LOVE POLISHING HIM OFF!]
  *Vine Whip*
  [I LOVE LOSING 60% OF MY HIT POINTS IN ONE BLOW!]
  Pompey is in trouble now! He doesn't have the quickness to pull off the winning hit, and he doesn't have the hit points to take another lick like that one.
  Sweet merciful Mew! Ok, think, think, thinkthinkthinkthink... got it! POTION!
  Monk is using a stalling tactic here folks! He has seven potions and a fresh water- eight turns for Pansage to either miss or use another move! Eight turns to live! Too bad Vine Whip has a 100% accuracy rate.
  ...it does? Craaaaaaap. I'm going to lose to a sprig of broccoli.
  *Vine Whip Vine Whip Vine Whip Vine Whip Vine Whip Vine Whip Vine Whip Vine Whip*
  *Potion Potion Potion Potion Potion Potion Potion Fresh Water* ...crap. Do or die, Pompey- Tackle!
  *Work Up*
  *TACKLE*
  HOLY CRAP I WON.
  What a come from behind victory! Monk's copious use of performance enhancing drugs has proved the edge in this contest! Another exciting victory for the little guy- but can he go the whole way? The only yardstick for success our society has is being Champion. No one remembers anything else. Until next time- this has been Unovan Idol!
  ...Why did I win?
  Better ratings.
  The crowd loves an underdog story, and if we think you've got a chance to make a real run we let you pass!
  You let me pass? Isn't your entire job to screen candidates for the most important position in our society?
  If you don't have what it takes, you'll get caught at the next Gym. Honestly, most of what we do is determine whether you are capable of defending yourself in the wilderness. The Trio Badge is a merit badge more than anything else. And speaking of...

Why am I not surprised their badge is a tiara

The Trio Badge makes all Pokemon up to level 20 obey you without question. And for being such a sport, we want you to have this TM.
  TM83 is Work Up- as you have seen, it can be devastatingly effective.
  You can use a TM as many times as you'd like, so don't be shy about spreading it around!
  Yeah, that's nice. Well, thanks for the Badge, I'll be off now.
  Good luck on your quest! We'll be watching!

With a shiny new badge to show for my trouble, I head outside where I am accosted by a scientist.

You there! You're Monk, right? I'm an old friend of Professor Juniper's- come back to my place, I can help you out with your journey.
  Yeah, sure. Just give me a minute, there's something I need to do first.

Mew rest his ugly soul

NEXT TIME: Yard of Dreams

Spoiler: Routes (click to show/hide)
Comments, Criticism, Suggestions welcome as always

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2011, 11:41:01 pm »

Aww that was... well, entertaining as usual. It's sad for Mojo Jojo, but congratulations on your first badge?
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2011, 12:28:08 am »

Died to a grass type... How humiliating.
Poor little guy, well at least he died to some epic music.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 48