Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 48

Author Topic: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! RUN COMPLETED  (Read 314697 times)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! Part VI: Cilan
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2011, 07:29:54 am »

I'm thinking that the first pokemon in the route might be too restrictive. While it certainly restricts you more, it also seriously reduce the chance you'll ever be using some of the rarer pokemon, which could be fun to watch. Maybe a one pokemon per route, without having to be the first you encounter?

But anyway, other than that what are the rules on breeding again? It could mean a endless supply of pokemon if you're willing to suffer the grind to wait eggs to appear, hatch the eggs, train the hatched pokemon, and so on...
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2011, 10:22:49 am »

I'm thinking that the first pokemon in the route might be too restrictive. While it certainly restricts you more, it also seriously reduce the chance you'll ever be using some of the rarer pokemon, which could be fun to watch. Maybe a one pokemon per route, without having to be the first you encounter?

But anyway, other than that what are the rules on breeding again? It could mean a endless supply of pokemon if you're willing to suffer the grind to wait eggs to appear, hatch the eggs, train the hatched pokemon, and so on...

Eggs follow the same "one per route, first per route" rule as the other Pokemon- so if I don't catch another Pokemon on Route 3, then I can get a single Egg which will count as my Pokemon for the route.

And yeah, the "not loading up on rare Pokemon" thing is part of the challenge. It's fairly easy to play by filling your party with really good Pokemon, it is quite another to win with the same commons everyone else uses. It also means that catching an uncommon or rare Pokemon is really something to celebrate, instead of the inevitable result of walking in circles outside long enough.

I caught a Pikachu in Viridian Forest on a Red Nuzlocke a while back, which was freaking amazing. Had that sucker in my party until his death in Saffron City Gym. Knew I should've evolved him first...

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2011, 01:19:55 pm »

very nice, looking forward to more.
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2011, 03:03:42 pm »

Yes, please make more.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2011, 03:25:36 pm »

This is interest. Enjoying.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2011, 04:17:33 pm »

I forgot you were doing  a Nuzlocke run of this.

Ah well, Mojo we 'ardly knew ya.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Fjords to Plowshares

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2011, 11:12:59 pm »

I've been skipping over this for weeks, thinking it wouldn't do anything for me since I've never played Pokemon.

How wrong I was.  Keep up the great work.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! Part VII: Yard of Dreams
« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2011, 09:45:35 pm »

After doing what must be done, I head on back to apartment Professor Fennel lives in. Instead of a small boy, Fennel herself is blocking the stairs. Greeting me, she invites me upstairs and goes on ahead.

Why yes, I would enjoy some Hot Coffee, thanks for asking

It turns out that Fennel is sharing this apartment with her roommate Amanita, who is too busy with her science to talk to me right now. And speaking of Fennel's apartment, it manages to cram as much SCIENCE! into every corner as Juniper's entire Lab. Whereas Juniper's Laboratory at least appears to be funded by somebody, Fennel's apartment has that personal touch commonly associated with mad scientists or Doc Brown.

Like this, with pastel colors and a Pokemon theme

Allow me to properly introduce myself- my name is Professor Fennel, and I am a Pokemon Researcher. Juniper and I attended the University of Unova together; whereas she studies Pokemon, I study Trainers!
  And now you want to study me? For some reason I am less than enthused.
  Juniper said you might be in town, so I've got something to give you. Here!
  Oh. It's, ah, it's very... what is it?
  This is an HM. HMs are like TMs, except they are more useful, more difficult to find and more difficult for a Pokemon to forget. Specifically, this is HM01- Cut! It allows your Pokemon to cut down small shrubs and tall grass.
  Well, that's useful, I suppose.
  Say, as long as you're in town I was wondering if you could do something for me? There's a Pokemon called Munna in the Dreamyard that gives off a rare substance known as Dream Mist. I need a sample of it to continue my research.
  I'm afraid I can't help you catch a Munna, I've already caught a Pokemon in the Dreamyard.
  That's alright, you don't need to actually catch it, you just need to collect a sample of Dream Mist. Here, have a Mist Extractor.
  ...That's just a stick.
  No, no, you're a scientist now- we call them Mist Extractors. Now get out there!

After some uninteresting farewells, I head off to the Dreamyard- as you may recall, there was a shrub preventing me from advancing further on my last visit. Of my party, only Marvin can learn Cut, and although I hate to waste such a weak HM on him I don't have much choice. I seem to recall a Move Deleter in Gen II, so hopefully somebody like that exists in this game.

Here Marvin, I'm going to teach you how to cut something other than yourself.
  [The pain on the outside helps me forget the pain on the inside]
  Hey Monk, are you looking for the Dream Pinata too?
  The what now?
  I hear the Dream Pinata can show you your dreams! I had a dream about a chocolate Frisbee once...

Marvin cuts our way past the shrub in the Dreamyard, and we head inside. At this time, I start having serious questions about what the Dreamyard is, exactly. This whole place feels like a ruined laboratory or military installation, what with all the shattered concrete and random barrels, but the latticework seems fit for an Olive Garden and the traffic cone makes absolutely no sense. Not that I expect much sense from the world of Pokemon, mind you, so I shrug it off and get ready for some exploring. Not a lot of exploring, as just inside there appears to be a Munna just chilling out.

[La di da di daaaa...]
  Well that was surprisingly easy.
  Not so fast!
  That Dream Pinata is the property of Team Plasma!
  Our boss wants the Dream Mist so we can show people their dreams! If we can show people their dreams, we can manipulate their hearts into making them let their Pokemon go!
  Why are you telling me this?
  If we don't say our assigned task aloud and with authority we have a tendency to forget our objective!
  Yeah! Now to thrash this Dream Pinata to extract the delicious Dream Mist! *kick*
  Hey! Stop kicking that Dream Pinata!
  Why should we?
  Because you can't break a pinata with your feet! You need a stick!
  Hey! That guy has a stick!
  Hand over the Mist Extractor!
  Not bloody likely.
  Go, Patrat!
  [NO]
  NO! PLASMAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
  You fool! Are you going to allow a twelve year old to stop us? Go, Purrloin!
  [ALSO NO]
  NO! PLASMAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
  Gah! Stop saying Plasma so much!
  Well, I'm not going to stop being a dick just because my Pokemon have died! *kick* *kick* *kick*
  ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
  Oh no, it's Ghetsis!
  And not the nice Ghetsis, when he's trying to manipulate people! This is the Ghetsis we see when he's ready to hand out a punishment! [disclaimer- actual in-game dialogue]
  Let's get out of here!

With that, the grunts run off like this was an old Scooby Doo cartoon. I don't know much about Ghetsis at this point, but if your mere appearance can make your grunts freak out you must be doing something right in the evil department. At this point some random Pokemon emerges from off screen, picks up the Munna, and then gets away before I get a good look at it.

All I could get was this blurry photo
  What in the name of Mew just happened.
  I think I can answer that!
  Gah! What are you doing here?
  I got tired of waiting, so I came down here myself! I saw the whole thing!
  So what you're saying is, you were going to come down here anyway, which means that my presence is wholly unnecessary.
  When Team Plasma was beating on Munna, it began to exude Dream Mist. Then Musharna, the evolved form of Munna, used its ability to make dreams become real to create that apparition to frighten off the Plasma Grunts. Once they were gone it was able to take Munna to safety deep in the heart of pinata land.

The Dreamyard is a weird place
  ...back up a moment there. You're telling me that Musharna has the ability to make dreams into reality?
  That's right. Why do you think I wanted some Dream Mist? Oooh, look there's some on the ground there! Come back by my place and I'll give you something for your trouble!

Although profoundly unsettled by the implications of this development, I have little choice but to advance the plot. Although I can see some other items here, my Pokemon are tired and quite frankly I'm getting sick of this whole side quest. On my way back through town I stop by the Pokecenter for a quick heal, and hit up the mart while I'm there. To my pleasant surprise, in addition to the expected assortment of status ailment cures I also find I can buy Great Balls and Super Potions- objects reserved for the mid-game in past versions of Pokemon. I pick up a handful of potions and an escape rope on my way out- the Escape Rope, for the uninitiated, is an item that allows you to retreat to the entrance of a dungeon when used. Not really worth it on standard playthroughs, but in Nuzlocke runs a safe exit strategy can be the difference between life and death.

After taking a quick trip to Route 2 to check out that tree from earlier (just a super potion and great ball on the other side,) I return to Fennel's place so I can get on with the rest of the game.

Here, Monk! For helping me with my studies I wanted you to have this C-Gear!
  This what now?
  The C-Gear allows you to connect with your friends across the world to engage in Pokemon Fights! You see, by-
  Yeah, that's nice, don't care. Can I go now?
  Oh. Well, if you'd like to meet Amanita, she developed the Pokemon Storage Sys-
  Still don't care. Have a nice day, I've got places to be.

As you may have gathered, the C-Gear is the immersion-breaking way for the game to incorporate multiplayer battles. Considering the fact that trading with another human would break an implicit rule of a Nuzlocke Challenge, it is nothing I'm ever going to use in this run, and I skimmed through her exposition. In fact, getting the C-Gear is an annoyance, since every time I start up the game from now on it will ask me whether I would like to also turn on the C-Gear. The answer is NO, Pokemon Black- STOP ASKING AND LEAVE ME ALONE.

Somewhat depressed by this entire waste of time, I turn my feet towards Route 3... and the PLOT!

NEXT TIME: Terrible Toddlers

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Comments, Criticism and Suggestions welcome as always.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2011, 09:54:25 pm »

Well... are you aware of the dreamworld on the website?
It's FEF, not FEOF

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2011, 10:56:24 pm »

Can you use dream mist to make your dream of more dream mist a reality?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2011, 11:02:43 pm »

To my knowledge you would need your pokemon to dream about it
It's FEF, not FEOF

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2011, 11:11:11 pm »

Can you use your dream mist to make a world where you don't need to collect mist for that, you are basicaly just god?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 22, 2011, 03:07:10 am »

Wait so Free Pokemon are part of the Catch ONE Rule??? Damn I have been doing it wrong. I though that you needed to CATCH the Mon for it to count...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 22, 2011, 03:18:16 am »

Hmmm, does trading count? Because then you could trade for a rare pokemon in most cities in the game :P

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 22, 2011, 09:35:29 am »

My guess (without bothering to look at the OP which probably has the actual rules or at least a link to them) is that this means he won't be trading:
...Considering the fact that trading with another human would break an implicit rule of a Nuzlocke Challenge, it is nothing I'm ever going to use in this run...
I'm pretty sure "Nuzlocke Rules" aren't really all that well defined in the first place, though, so if you're doing your own run change them however you want.  :P
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 48