Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 48

Author Topic: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! RUN COMPLETED  (Read 314626 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! Part IX Nacrene City
« Reply #210 on: July 08, 2011, 09:08:06 am »

Ralts is a good pokemon to have. The sword-guy evolution is really cool, but even if you don't get that, you still have a decent early game psychic.

I don't know he/she even makes a good late game psychic.
Gardevoir's awesome. Sure, it might be slightly weaker in competitive play than Alakazam, but that only really makes a difference if you are trying to raise the best pokemon possible for competition. Gallade on the other hand, while awesome, are even less competitive if I remember correctly. The main choosing characteristic at least for me, is the sex of the pokemon. If the ralts is female, gardevoir route, if the ralts is male, gallade route (because, let's be honest, a male gardevoir feels kind weird)

Of course, this is Ruby, so no Gallade. And it's a Nuzlocke run, and the Ralts was the second pokemon I found.

Also, Gardevoir is a better choice than Kadabra if you don't have someone to trade with. Like me.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 08, 2011, 01:39:57 pm »

I think the point was more that he was forced to kill the ralts because it was the second pokemon he encountered. (didn't notice this in the post immediately before mine until after I posted)

I know I had a ralts/kirlia/gardevoir the entire game and she rocked pretty hard. I dunno about in actual competitive play, but she did well against pretty much everything.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 01:42:30 pm by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 08, 2011, 03:26:39 pm »

Also, teams full of zigzagoon are pretty cool. I'm at the second gym and my zigzagoon Larry has found me two ultraballs and three rare candy.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 08, 2011, 03:36:59 pm »

Agreed. A team of zigzagoon is one of a breeder's best friends (along with a team of dittos of various natures and a pokemon with that ability that makes eggs hatch faster). You need to level a pokemon to 14 or 15 to get a good idea of IVs and 6x zigzagoon is a pretty darn good way to get the candies for that. Plus they can get you some fun stuff to trade with people too. I have to say, I do miss that archaeology/digging minigame and the limitless evo stones your could get from it. They were always in demand on the gamefaqs trading boards and I could get pretty much whatever I wanted when I needed it because of them.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 11, 2011, 09:58:10 pm »

Blah, I rather hoped to finish this update tonight, but it appears that it was not meant to be. It's coming, it's coming.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 12, 2011, 02:11:42 am »

I dunno about in actual competitive play, but she did well against pretty much everything

Honestly it is best NOT to think about Competative play at all and think of it as seperate.

The amount of number crunching "counter everything" strategies in competative play really hurts my love of pokemon.

Mind you because it is such a crushing anti-thesis of what pokemon really is storywise that it feels like someone deconstructed a living world and turned it into ones and zeros.

That and honestly... So few things are competative in competative play.

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 12, 2011, 07:37:00 am »

Blah, I rather hoped to finish this update tonight, but it appears that it was not meant to be. It's coming, it's coming.
20 stories high and made of radiation?

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 13, 2011, 11:06:50 am »

I dunno about in actual competitive play, but she did well against pretty much everything

Honestly it is best NOT to think about Competative play at all and think of it as seperate.

The amount of number crunching "counter everything" strategies in competative play really hurts my love of pokemon.

Mind you because it is such a crushing anti-thesis of what pokemon really is storywise that it feels like someone deconstructed a living world and turned it into ones and zeros.

That and honestly... So few things are competative in competative play.

Competitive play is really hardcore. I agree with Neonivek; I feel it goes against the spirit of pokemon. (Incredibly cheesy, yes.) It's a game which in some ways is mechanically adapted to munchkinism (Stat points and EVs, etc.) but in other ways it's just really horrible (levelling up to 100 takes lots of time, ev training lengthens this time.)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 15, 2011, 07:32:02 pm »

PART X: LENORA

The theme for this evening's battle is linked at the start of the match- for those of you who would like some buffer time, I'm linking it again here. It'll make sense, trust me

Alright gents, here's the situation. You two are my entire team, at a Gym where most challengers need to bring a full bandolier. We need to strategize.
  [What does it matter- I'm already destined to die in one pit-fight or another. Let it end here.]
  [I advocate a crushing aerial assault, followed closely by armor and infantry working in concert!]
  Heinrich, I appreciate the enthusiasm- However, I expect this Gym will have some powerful Pokemon, so I'd rather not do any fancy maneuvering. Our best bet is for Marvin to hunker down and blast it out.
  Sir, if you aren't going to buy anything I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to leave.
  I believe I am entitled to a free Soda Pop?
  Take it and get out.

A BRIEF JAUNT LATER

Hello, and welcome again to my shop!
  Greetings, merchant; I have need of your services. X Defends, to be specific.
  A wise choice, a wise choice, good sir- that will be 550 Pokedollars apiece.
  Five Hundred and Fifty Pokedollars!?! That's outrageous!
  The safety of your friends is surely more important than mere cash, is it not? And of course, these items, they were not easy to obtain- there were risks, hazards, shipping and handling, all manner of extraneous expenses. You can, of course, take your business elsewhere...
  *sigh*  Alright, give me four X Defend.
  Only four? You are the young popinjay who lost a fire type Pokemon in the Grass Gym last week, are you not? You only appear to have two Pokemon- surely you could use the help of my items to compensate for your lack of skill and acu-
  I WILL TAKE FOUR X DEFENDS AND I SHALL DO QUITE ALRIGHT. GOOD DAY TO YOU, SIRRAH!
  Farewell, my foppish friend, and do not hesitate to come again!

I then make a brief stop at the local Pokecenter, where I buy up all the Super Potions I can afford- pack bulging, I proceed to the Gym.

At least it doesn't have cutlery over the entrance.

As I approach the Gym, a familiar vagrant walks out.

I want to see things no one can see. The ideals of Pokemon inside Pokeballs. The truths of how trainers should be. And a future where Pokemon have become perfect. Do you agree?
  What? You are speaking nonsense!
  I expected more. My friends and I will test you to see if you can see this future too.

N's team consists of level 13 Tympole, Timburr, and Pidove. My Pokemon are level 17. This is not a difficult fight.

I cannot see the future yet, the world is still to be determined. Right now, my friends aren't strong enough to save all Pokemon. Maybe I can't solve the equation that will change the world. So I need power, power enough to make anyone agree with me. Now I know what power I need. Zekrom! The legendary Pokemon that, along with the hero, created Unova. It's my turn to become that hero, and you and I will be friends!
  Not bloody likely- now stop following me!

After a brief trip to the Pokecenter, I return to the Gym. Continuing the theme of Gym Leaders paying more attention to their hobbies than their Gym duties, Lenora has turned the front portion of the building into a small museum. I am quickly accosted by the museum curator.

Welcome to Nacrene City Museum! How would you like if I gave you the tour?
  Actually, special guest "Weird Al" Yankovic, I'm just here for the Gym. I'll just be moving on now.
  Nonsense, it's on your way anyway! Here you can see the centerpiece of our museum- the fossilized remains of a legendary Dragon Pokemon. We theorize that it suffered an accident while flying around the world, and so it became a Fossil.

Any resemblance to Satan is purely coincidental
  I'm not sure that you have enough evidence to support that theory.
  Our theories are sound until proven otherwise! Over here, we have a meteorite from space. It appears to contain some kind of mystical Space Energy.
  Sweet Mew, this sign says that you found a live SPACE VIRUS in this rock! And you have it out in the OPEN!
  A Space Virus is highly unlikely to pose any threat to humans or Pokemon- our bodies are completely alien to it.
  But this sign also says you think a Space Pokemon was in this rock- could not that Pokemon spread it to other Pokemon?
  What do I look like, the World Health Organization? Moving along, we have this other, completely unrelated rock! This rock has no appreciable value or scientific merit, and it never will- we just think it's pretty. And that concludes our tour.
  Wait, what about all that other stuff on the other side of the museum?
  Oh, none of that stuff is important to the plot.
  So you're saying half of this museum is pointless, and some of it is worthless. You are not a very good curator- why do you still have a job?
  Lenora is my wife.
  Oh. Well, I suppose I'm off to challenge her then. Goodbye.

Heading back to the Gym proper, I am given yet another Fresh Water. I'm not entirely sure why- it made sense in the restaurant, but you'd think excessive water would be avoided in a Library. And that is what this Gym is, folks- a library. Books and bookshelves everywhere- hardly a suitable environment for blood sports.

The puzzle for this Gym is a series of riddles- solving one riddle leads to a book, where a riddle is hidden in the pages that leads to the next book, so on and so forth. The thing is, the Library isn't very big- there's only half a dozen books to interact with to begin with- the rest are scenery. More importantly, the Trainers in this Gym aren't just standing around waiting for you to come into their line of sight- they're standing in front of the books with answers. Between talking to the Trainers and randomly guessing amongst the handful of unguarded books, you can get through this portion of the Gym without actually solving any riddle.

I would have much preferred a rousing game of Red Wire/Blue Wire

What is interesting to note, however, is that it is highly unlikely N was leaving here with the Gym Badge. He had three level 13 Pokemon on his way out- these Trainers have level 15-17 Pokemon, and Lenora herself has higher level Pokemon than that. I beat N with little trouble, so it seems unlikely that he made up for the level disadvantage with skill- this implies that unless he blew a ton of battle items in this Gym, he doesn't have the Badge.

So, if he wasn't here for the Gym, he was here for the Museum. Now, when N left he was rambling about unlimited power and some ancient Pokemon. Of the plot important museum pieces, we saw a meteorite that contained mystical space energy, "power" if you will, and the skeleton of a long dead legendary Pokemon. I will make the bold prediction that N is going to try and steal the meteor and/or the skeleton for his insane plans. If only I had a sidekick to applaud my brilliance.

He'll do

You may have noticed that I am not discussing the ins and outs of the Trainer Battles in this Gym- that is because they are pushovers who are use Lillipups and Patrats- they are uninteresting opponents with uninteresting Pokemon. I miss the good old days, when Gyms had unique Pokemon from all over, instead of the same things you could find out in the woods surrounding the town.

After "solving" the riddles and defeating the Trainers, a secret passage is revealed beneath one of the bookcases. Lenora's office is beneath the building, where she keeps her personal notes and research subjects. It is also where she has a battle arena to face challengers.

Hail, Challenger! I am Lenora, Countess of Nacrene City, Bearer of the Basic Badge, Director of the Unovan Museum and Archaeologist Extraordinaire!
  Um, Hail, Lenora! I am Sir Monk, Lord of Nuvema Town, Bearer of the Trio Badge, here to challenge for the right to take the Basic Badge.
  Hello Pokemon fans, and welcome to another edition of Unovan Idol!
  Oh what the hell, you too?
  Eh, funding for the museum has been rather tight lately- this licensing deal means I can hire more field workers.
  Tonight we are live from Nacrene City Gym, where Monk has issued a challenge to the Gym Leader Lenora! A few weeks ago, Monk edged Cilan to claim the Trio Badge- tonight he'll be faced with a much tougher prospect in the Normal Type user Countess Lenora. Let's break down the match!
  Yes, but did it have to be John Madden?
  Chris Collinsworth wasn't available, I tried.
  Monk is entering this match with only two Pokemon. Marvin is the water-type Oshawott who figures to see much more field time than at Striaton. Fan favorite Pompey the Lillipup has regrettably not survived, and has been replaced by a Pidove named Heinrich. Heinrich brings an aerial arm to the team, and his Roost technique can really help extend the play! The match will begin right after a word from our sponsors- stay tuned!
  Chris Berman? Kris Kringle? Anyone?
  Sorry- better get your Pokemon ready, we're about to begin.
  Go, Marvin!
  [Go team. Rah rah rah.]
  Take him down, Herdier!
  *INTIMIDATE*
  Herdier's mustache is so intimidating, it reduces the attack of the opposing Pokemon at the start of a match. Monk will just have to compensate.
  X Defend!
  *TAKE DOWN*
  *-50% hp*
  We've just seen Lenora's Herdier use its powerful Take Down technique. Take Down is not especially accurate, and inflicts recoil damage on the user, but as Herdier gets a Same Type Attack Bonus (STAB) to damage while using it, it is certainly the most powerful move on the field today. Marvin can't take another lick like that!
  Another X Defend might be enough to withstand that Take Down... Marvin! I need you to hold on, to what we've got!
  [It doesn't make a difference if we make it or not.]
  [We've got each other, and that's a lot!]
  For love, we'll give it a shot! X Defend!
  *TAKE DOWN*
  *-49% hp*
  YES! SUPER POTION!
  What a turn of events! Marvin's Defense is now high enough to withstand two Take Down's. This means that Monk can use one turn to heal, and another to attack.
  *TAKE DOWN* *TAKE DOWN*
  X Defend! Super Potion!
  *TAKE DOWN* - Miss!
  Ha! Marvin, show him your special technique!
  *Razor Shell*
  Razor Shell is a powerful Water-type move that has a good chance to reduce the enemy's Defense. It is not as powerful as Herdier's Take Down, but is much more accurate, and of course it has no recoil damage. Marvin is also holding a Mystic Water, which powers up Water-type moves- between that and STAB, this is the most lethal move in Monk's arsenal.
  *TAKE DOWN* *RETALIATE*
  *Razor Shell* *Razor Shell*
  Super Potion! Finish him!
  *RETALIATE*
  *Razor Shell*
  *K-O*
  Woah! He's halfway there!
  OOOOOOHHHH! LIVIN' ON A PRAYER!
  Go, Watchog!
  [IMMA CUT YA BITCH!]
  [Go ahead and try.]
  *LEER*
  Leer is a standard defense lowering move- Lenora is trying to overcome Marvin's defense advantage.
  X Speed!
  *Razor Shell*
  *HYPNOSIS*
  Here's a threat- Hypnosis is a Psychic-type move that has a good chance to put the opposing Pokemon to sleep. If Marvin falls asleep, he will be unable to attack!
  [Apparently you don't know that I suffer from insomnia- I haven't gotten a good night's sleep since I first entered a Pokeball.] *Razor Shell*
  *HYPNOSIS*
  *Razor Shell* *Razor Shell* *Razor Shell*
  *RETALIATE* *HYPNOSIS* *CRUNCH*
  Crunch is a very powerful Dark-type move, but since Watchog does not receive STAB from it Razor Shell is the more deadly move.
  *Razor Shell*
  *K-O*
  YES! VICTORY IS MINE!
  What's this? Oshawott is evolving!
   :o

Oshawott has evolved into Dewott!
   :D  Marvin! You evolved side burns! And another clamshell! And a somewhat more coherent color scheme! And a mohawk! And a stomach mustache! And a war face!
  [You live for the fight when that's all that you've got!]
  We're livin' on a prayer! Take my hand, we'll make it, I swear!
  What a match! Monk will be leaving with a Dewott as well as the Basic Badge- but will he survive until the third Gym? Until next time, this has been Unovan Idol.
  Impressive victory! You have definitely earned this badge!

Surprisingly asymmetrical
  With the Basic Badge, Pokemon up to level 30 will obey you! And as a parting gift, I would like you to have this TM- Retaliate!
  Yeah, that's your signature move, isn't it? It didn't seem that great.
  Retaliate is a moderately powerful move, but its power is doubled on the turn after an ally dies!
  Why didn't you use it after Herdier went down?
  I didn't think it would break through Marvin's defenses, and you obviously have a sack full of potions. I tried to grind it out, and failed.
  Yeah, I don't think I'll be making much use of a move that needs one of my few Pokemon to die first. But thanks anyway.
  Lenora!!! Lenora, come quick, someone is stealing our fossils!
  Called it!
  It's Team Plasma!
  Wait, what?
  Team Plasma!?! Monk, with me!

NEXT TIME: PLASMAAAAAA!
Suggestions, Comments, Criticism welcome as always. Next update should take much less time.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! Part X: Lenora
« Reply #220 on: July 15, 2011, 07:52:23 pm »

Wonderful, lp monk
Also you can take all of the time in the world for these updates...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 15, 2011, 09:39:04 pm »

Oh Bonjovi, you make everything better.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 15, 2011, 09:40:07 pm »

I know what I'm listening to next.

Enjoying the updates, please keep doing them!
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 15, 2011, 10:32:01 pm »

doing much better than my playthrough
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 16, 2011, 01:56:51 am »

Awaiting the next update with great anticipation. 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 48