Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 48

Author Topic: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! RUN COMPLETED  (Read 314713 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! Part XIV: Burgh
« Reply #345 on: September 06, 2011, 08:33:49 pm »

Well, I've got essentially a full back up team in the box at this point, and while the second rival fight was a bit of a surprise, it didn't give me any trouble. Had to do some clever switching and judicious use of items, but my Zubat is doing absolutely amazing so far at wrecking heads.

If there's another surprise coming up, we'll see how it goes though. It isn't like some sort of cheap scripted team-wipe is it? I could recover from that with the team I've got in the box, but it wouldn't be fun... I'd be down to three pokemon (names: Redundancy, Preparation, Failsafe), but there's another Zubat in there at least...

Eh, we'll see how it goes!

Do these stupid Spinaraks I've caught eventually become not terrible though? At least it finally learned nightshade, but by god I'm not looking forward to leveling the other one if I eventually need to...

No plot-mandated TPK's or anything like that, mostly its just a rather uneven leveling curve in that generation.

And yeah, Spinarak has a pretty poor learnset (only gets STAB from 2 of his moves!), and his signature move is pretty useless against the AI- it prevents the target from switching out. He has a decent attack stat, and you'll find a TM that teaches Sludge Bomb at some point- it's a poison type move with good power (certainly better than the crap he learns naturally) and he gets STAB, plus a 30% poison chance. Of course, by then you've probably got a better party choice.

Good luck, and have fun with Whitney!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 06, 2011, 09:03:38 pm »

Hmm... just picked up a ghastly. I avoided sprout tower from before, on the off-chance it contained higher level enemies than it apparently does, and there's wild pokemon there! (I may be a bit over-cautious sometimes) Who would have thought, heh. Well, I was wanting one of these, so I'm glad I picked it up. Shame it will eventually have to evolve into something ugly! Maybe I should swap the Spinarak out for it... Or this stupid Togepi...

Anyways, that's enough hijacking your thread, I think! Sorry. :P

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #347 on: September 06, 2011, 11:52:08 pm »

Anywho, not dead, update coming, yadda yadda yadda, did I mention the bisque?

Is it a kitten bisque?
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 07, 2011, 10:45:58 pm »

Whitney didn't give me any trouble, though my heart was racing when I switched to my Zubat (lv22) against the newly revealed Miltank (lv20) and discovered it was weak to her rollout. The first one didn't do much damage even so, so I felt enough confidence to use confuse ray. Second one? Critical hit dropping him to 14 hp from full health. Uh oh. O_O

Luckily, the confuse ray went off without a hitch, and it managed to whack itself in the face the turn I switched to Togepi (lv20), breaking the potentially devastating rollout chain before it could advance beyond turn 2. The Togepi who proceeded to charm the Miltank into uselessness. Hurrah.

But what the heck did they change rollout's type to that it's super effective vs. zubat? I thought it was normal... wait... is it rock? Hmm...

So it went well, but I suddenly understand how easily it could have gone badly. Still have 0 deaths, but part of it is, I think, that I've been a bit lucky. Which is good, because I keep accidently killing pokemon in the new areas before realizing I entered a new area. -_-

Edit: The Kimono Girl's Espeon, however, very nearly got the first KO, bringing both my (now) Crobat and Spinnarak down to the red with a single shot of confusion. Hurr durr. o_o

Edit2: And I've had my first deaths. Damn you, price! Damn you to hell! Stupid... blizzard. Killed my crobat and my togepi evolution. Stupid... ice. Still, it could have gone a lot worse, pretty much my whole team got down to yellow that fight. Damn it. I liked that crobat. :*(
I was seriously underleved for this gym though, around lv27 average against a piloswine of lv31? Ergh.

Edit3:Oh god wobuffet killing one of my best pokemans. T_T Counter, argh.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 11:19:51 pm by GlyphGryph »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 08, 2011, 08:20:41 am »

But what the heck did they change rollout's type to that it's super effective vs. zubat? I thought it was normal... wait... is it rock? Hmm...

It has been rock type since forever.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

TheMasterTurtle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a turtle and a master
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 18, 2011, 10:30:22 am »

b-b-b-b-b-BUMPED!

Update?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 18, 2011, 08:24:30 pm »

Still alive! I've been alternately sick and busy- I'm gonna try and pound out the update tomorrow even if its still a bit light just so I can get on with it.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 21, 2011, 01:53:07 pm »

PART XIV: Rivalry

Unfortunately, the only way out of the Gym is the way I came in- through several walls of honey and clowns. Eventually, I manage to extricate myself from the mess and hit the streets of Castelia City.

Hey Monk, are you there?
  Gah! Who said that!?! ...are you a ghost?
  Monk, pick up the Crosstransceiver.
  The what now?
  The phone. Pick up the phone!
  Oh, hey Bianca. What's up?
  Let's have a Pokemon battle! Iris has trained me-*
  that's what she said
  What?
  Nothing! Just something Burgh said.
Well, Iris has trained me, and I've become a little stronger. I should be able to protect my own Pokemon now. Let's meet at the Route 4 gate!*
  Yeah sure, be right with you.

A brief trip to the Pokecenter later, I'm fully healed, equipped, and ready to rumble. TO ROUTE 4! AGAIN!

Glad you could make it, Monk- get ready to fight! It's the new and improved version of me!*
  [Och!]
  Your Pokemon are level 18? You should have really leveled them more before challenging me.
  Hey, it takes a long time to level up your Pokemon.

***MEANWHILE, BENEATH THE DESERT RESORT***

Mwahahaha! Finally, I have completed my most insidious device to date! Soon, I shall become incredibly stronger- none shall oppose me!
  Not so fast, Professor Purrloin!
  Oh, Secret Agent Snivy, so kind of you to come! You shall bear witness to my first firing of... THE EVOLUTIONATER! With one flick of this switch, I shall unlock the full potential of my genetic code and transcend this puny mortal shell!
  You're mad, Purrloin!
  Fool! No longer am I Professor Purrloin!
  You now stand in the presence of...
  LORD LIEPARD!
  Fortunately, I brought back-up! Go, 037!
  Secret Agent Audino!
  Fool! I will merely strike him down, becoming even MORE powerful!
  Not if I strike him down first!
  ...What?
  VINE WHIP!
  *cough* 001... why?
  It was the only way, 037. I can feel the power! I! AM!
  SERVINE!
  Nooooooo! We both evolved- why are you so much more powerful than I?
  You should know, Liepard- Cheetahs never prosper. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll take this Evolutionater back HQ for analysis.
  Blast! I will withdraw this time, Secret Agent Servine, but you have not seen the last of me!

***MEANWHILE, AT THE PLOT***

Yeah, that went about how I expected it. But when did Tepig evolve into a Mexican Easter Egg?
  He's not an egg, he's a Luchador!

El Chorizo- Feel the burn!
  I know I'll never be a strong trainer like you or Cheren or Iris-*
  Or Burgh or Lenora or Cilan or that one kid with the Blitzle or that preschooler who killed Cletus or...
  But.. Since we left Nuvema Town, I've met a lot of people and I've been thinking about what I want to do in life! Pokemon have given me a lot of new experiences.*
  that's what she said
  Having my Pokemon stolen was really hard, but I'm glad I left with you! Being with Pokemon is really, really important! Hope to see you soon!*
  Oh, I'm sure we'll meet again shortly. Now, on to the next city!

Weather on Route 4: Sandstorm
  Oh right, this crap.
  Ho, Monk. I've been waiting for you to get the Insect Badge, and now it's time to see which one of us is stronger!
  [Hurr hurrrooooo!]
  Huh- I've still got a four level advantage on you.
  [Easy kill] *BRICK BREAK*
  Servine!
  [Let's get ssserious]
  Wow, your Snivy got really... effeminate.
  What? He's just as manly as I am!
  Exactly. That old saw about Pokemon looking more like their Trainers must be true.
  Shut up!
  Sorry, couldn't hear you over the sound of Heinrich kicking prodigious amounts of ass.
  [Ha-HA! Heinrich away!]
  Panpour!
  [NO]
  Liepard! Win it!
  [Purrrrfect]
  [ALSO NO]
  Nice finish, Marvin.
  *Marvin learned WATER PULSE!*
  Very nice.
  It's now clear to me. The reason you are so tough is the trust between you and your Pokemon.*
  Also, and I can't stress this enough, a four level advantage. Grind more.
  I can get more out of Servine and my other Pokemon, too.*

Just then the CrossTransceiver starts ringing!

Monk, Cheren, glad I could catch you! I called Bianca too, but I guess she's too busy to hear the call. I wonder what she's caught up in.
  Or who.
  Well, I suppose I'll just have to call her again later. I'll be waiting for you two in front of the gate to Nimbassa City!
  I'm going to hurry ahead to meet her.
  I'll catch up later- it's time for some Pokemon training.

Now that I have the Insect Badge, I am suddenly allowed into the construction area on Route 4. My map says that "a sandstorm delayed the road construction to connect two cities." This road has been under construction for so long, maps are printed letting you know about it. This theory is supported by the fact I have personally seen the sandstorm rage for the entire winter. Of course, this also runs contrary to the theory that my Mother wrote in a bunch of these little facts and side routes, but I'm willing to bet that at the end of the game (which will likely be a matter of in-game years) this road will still be under construction, without any progress at all. Once again, Mother Nature thwarts any attempt to make a place to walk without being accosted by swarms of small angry animals.

Route 4 goes north to Nimbassa City, but there is also a side branch that goes to some place called the Desert Resort. It sounds like a nice place to hang out, but more importantly, it might have new Pokemon there. What follows is a lot of sneaking past construction workers and random other trainers- my team doesn't need the XP, but I'll be needing to bring any new guy up to speed, whether I get him at the Resort or elsewhere.

Fortunately, there is a lot of sand right at the border of the Desert Resort area, and before long...

*Wild Sandile Appeared!*
  Hey, a not terrible Pokemon! Score!

Welcome aboard, Gustave!
  [Ready to Rumble, chief]

Gustave, level 19 Ground/Dark Pokemon. Has a mild nature, likes to run. Ability: Moxie- boosts attack after the opposing Pokemon faints. Very nice, especially given that Fire, Electric and Psychic types tend to have low Defense. All we need is to get him up to speed.

Too bad you don't know any really powerful moves, though.
  Hey, you're the lad what was on Unovan Idol the other night, right? Here, take this with you!
  Sweet Mew, this is a Dig TM! This is just what I needed! Thank you!
  Think nothing of it- but do me a favor and give me a shout-out when you get to the next Gym so my mates will believe I actually met you.
  You've got it, Construction Worker Guy!
  *Gustave learned DIG!*

With his fancy new move, Gustave needs little help from me to tear through the rest of the construction workers, hikers, and the odd twelve-year-old. Although I am tempted to go back and finish exploring the Desert Resort, the gates of Nimbassa City are much closer.

Monk, Cheren, glad you could come! Elesa called and was asking all about electric type Pokemon, and I thought about you guys. That's why I wanted to see you. Ta-da! Freebies for you!*
  Oooh, Ultra Balls. I'm already becoming independently wealthy from my battling, but hey, free stuff.
  Wait... Elesa? The Duchess Elesa? Why would she need general knowledge about electric type Pokemon?
  Oh, you two are probably too young to remember the old Duke of Nimbassa- he was quite the Fighting Type master in his day. But when he died, he left his Gym and his fortune to his young wife, Elesa, and she's been converting everything to Electric type. She wants to know more about what kinds of electric type Pokemon she can find around the city.
  Well, there isn't any in the DESERT to the south, I'll tell you that much.
  It might seem strange for me to say this, considering how I'm the one who asked you to complete the Pokedex, but please, remember to enjoy your journey! I'm not saying you can just neglect the Pokedex, but you know that! Now, I have to go meet Bianca.*
  It seems the Professor gave us the Pokedex as a reason to send us on a journey. At least, that's what my mom told me. They wanted us to go out and see the world, so our moms made a request of Professor Juniper.*
  Hooray for us!
  I think I'll head back to the desert and poke around for any rare electric Pokemon- it could pay to be on Elesa's good side.
  I think I'll continue not breaking the law, and head onwards.
  A crazy strategy, but I suppose it has worked out for you so far. Take care of yourself.
  Nimbassa City, ho!

NEXT TIME: Puttin' on the Ritz
Suggestions, Comments, Criticism welcome as always.

Spoiler: Routes Visited (click to show/hide)
[/quote]

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! Part XV: Rivalry
« Reply #354 on: September 21, 2011, 03:29:00 pm »

Yaaay update! If I remember right, Sandile and its evolved forms are quite good and very useful, so that's fortunate. I'd forgotten what happened in the last update so I was briefly confused by honey and clowns. Then I realized just how bizarre that gym is.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 21, 2011, 03:29:14 pm »

Bah! You kids nowadays are too soft! Back in my day we had to beat our first pokeyman into submission ourselves! And our duels ended with one trainer getting pounded into pulp! Literally! Uphill, through six feet of snow!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 21, 2011, 05:08:54 pm »

Lucky of you to get a ground type right before what seems to be the electric gym. It's typical of these game to let you get a type advantage before a hard fight but with nuzlocke you never know what jumps out of the grass first. What were the other options in this area?

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 21, 2011, 05:18:54 pm »

Lucky of you to get a ground type right before what seems to be the electric gym. It's typical of these game to let you get a type advantage before a hard fight but with nuzlocke you never know what jumps out of the grass first. What were the other options in this area?

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Desert_Resort#Pok.C3.A9mon

Other than the psychic/flying, he'd have some advantage against electrics, so, the odds weren't bad.

Edit: Or at least no disadvantage in case of the fire one.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 05:46:54 pm by Felius »
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 21, 2011, 05:23:37 pm »

I can dig that new pokemon.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 21, 2011, 05:26:22 pm »

Bah! You kids nowadays are too soft! Back in my day we had to beat our first pokeyman into submission ourselves! And our duels ended with one trainer getting pounded into pulp! Literally! Uphill, through six feet of snow!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Must. Resist. Urge. To. Create. Medevil. Pokemon. Thread.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 48