Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 48

Author Topic: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! RUN COMPLETED  (Read 314588 times)

Galick

• Bay Watcher
  • Dolly says you can help me...can you help me?
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! Part XX: Machinations
« Reply #480 on: February 03, 2012, 05:27:17 pm »

Woohoo, Galick lives again!  And he's back in time for updates!

And yeah, this kinda stuff is honestly a bit harder than it looks.  I had to give up when I had a long string of stuff happening in my run when the game just REFUSED to give me anything to work with.  Got me frustrated as hell and then I just kinda let my topic die.
Damn you google, why are you always so far away? Sitting at the top of my interwebs window, mocking me with you easy information. You are the prostitute of the internet.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 09, 2012, 06:50:06 am »

Posting to watch this incredibly humorous thread!

Ahh, the good old days...

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 12, 2012, 05:59:07 pm »

Just stumbled upon this and read all up till this point. Good stuff, Sir.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 28, 2012, 04:26:59 pm »

If you ever somehow miraculously finish this, are you gonna do a LP of Black2 or White2?
It's FEF, not FEOF

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 28, 2012, 04:37:11 pm »

If you ever somehow miraculously finish this, are you gonna do a LP of Black2 or White2?

? Those things are...?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 28, 2012, 04:39:50 pm »

Yeah a few days ago it was announced that instead of a third Grey version there's gonna be 2 sequel games called Black2 and White2 focusing on the 2 new formes of the third member of the main legendary trio. The title of these games, along with some of the loose plot threads left at the end of Black and White, seems to imply that these will be genuine direct sequels continuing the story of Black and White, instead of a binded together retelling. They're expected to have an english release sometime in fall
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 04:42:03 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: February 28, 2012, 04:47:46 pm »

Well that's interesting! Yeah, if that falls out as a continuation instead of a retelling I may very well do another.

RE: Next Update- it's coming, hopefully soon. I know nobody asked, but I bet everyone was thinking it since I'm obviously not dead :P

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: February 28, 2012, 04:48:08 pm »

Yay! :D
It's FEF, not FEOF

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 28, 2012, 05:35:09 pm »

Well that's interesting! Yeah, if that falls out as a continuation instead of a retelling I may very well do another.

RE: Next Update- it's coming, hopefully soon. I know nobody asked, but I bet everyone was thinking it since I'm obviously not dead :P
Between this and a pokemon mod for DF...
You doing Mew's work son....
ArceusHeresy*BLAM*Mew bless you.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 16, 2012, 07:52:20 pm »

...    *taps foot*
It's FEF, not FEOF

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: June 04, 2012, 07:51:36 pm »

PART XXI: Driftveil City

Technically it's a double leaf bascule bridge, but "drawbridge" is easier to say

Now to contact him... It's me, Elesa. Please lower the Drawbridge. I have a couple Trainers who want to challenge you.*
  Eventually, anyway. There always seems to be some random sidequest we have to complete before the Gym.
  I have a TV gig, so I've got to go. The Gym Leader of the next town may take some getting used to...* he's kindof a wierdo.
  Have you been inside Burgh's Gym?
  Yes.
  Oh... oh my.
  C'mon, Monk- they can't stop us! We're trainers, and we'll prove we're right by getting stronger and winning in battle, even against the Champion!
  Careful, gentlemen! Sometimes, above the bridge, you can see the shadows of bird Pokemon, right? Their feathers drift to the ground here! And when you try to pick them up, occasionally, you'll run into a Pokemon.*
  What, random birds attack when you try to steal their discarded feathers?
  *WILD DUCKLETT APPEARED!*
  ...why do all these Unovan birds hold their wing out like that?

Delicious delicious peat moss
  Well, Dewey, the last thing the team needs right now is more water and flying. Get your quad weakness to electricity in the Box!
  [Quackerooney!]

This is about all the excitement that can be found on Driftveil Drawbridge- the only mons I run into are more Duckletts, and the aforementioned feathers all appear to be stat boosting items. I don't know as anything prevents me from doping my Pokemon to the gills but boredom, but it seems boredom is enough- after cycling back and forth a few times I'm ready to move on.

Driftveil City! Yeah, it's mostly bridge.

At the other end of the drawbridge, Cheren is being confronted by what appears to be an angry potato sack with a cowboy hat.

I think he's talking into a brownie, to boot
  Um. Hello. I'm Sir Cheren, and this is Sir Monk- we're in the midst of the Pokemon League challenge, and you hold our next Badge.
  Hrmph! So yer the Trainers Elesa was talk'n about, huh. I'm Clay. I'm the Gym Leader 'round these parts. Don't be expectin' no welcome, now. 'Cause when we lowered that bridge, the Team Plasma guys we'd caught done escaped in all the ruckus!*
  I... what ruckus? It's a drawbridge! Why would it have anything to do with your prison system!?!
  Elesa, bless her heart, sent some Nimbasan electrician to upgrade our various mechanical doodads. He done hooked all our systems into the same grid or somesuch, and when we lowered the bridge the prison doors done sprang open!
  What a bother. We're grateful that you lowered the bridge, but how is it our fault that they escaped?*
  It's a conspiracy! Them Plasma fellers must've sabotaged our system, and then sent you across to trigger it!
  Did you say Elesa sent that electrician? I have reason to believe she's a secret supporter of Team Plasma- I doubt those Plasgoons could think up a plan like this, but it's the kind of underhanded scheme I'd expect from Elesa.
  Ya can say whatever ya want. But what's important is y'all showed up, and then Team Plasma escaped. Maybe it's a little heavy-handed, but you oughtta start lookin' for Team Plasma, too. Yer both talented Trainers, aren't ya? Tell ya what... If ya find Team Plasma, I'll let ya challenge my Gym! Life's all about give and take!*
  Well, I suppose that's fair.*
  What!?! No it's not! One of your duties as Earl of Driftveil is to accept the challenges of legitimate trainers!
  Don't give me none of yer sassafras! Either you catch them Plasma guys, or I bring you up on charges of Conspiracy against the League! Now get out of mah way, I've got a manhunt to supervise!
  Really, we would have looked for Team Plasma even if he hadn't asked. I can get stronger by beating that bothersome bunch. I'll go on ahead.*
  Yeah, I'll catch up- I've got things to do.

As it turns out, though, not many things to do in the city itself. The area South of Driftveil is called Cold Storage- given the fact that it's a dead end and has a unique name, it's my first bet for where the Plasma encounter will be. There's a lighthouse I can't get to yet since I can't Surf, a park with a modern art sailboat/whale/magic carpet statue, and a public market full of herbal remedies that are supposedly imported from Hippyville- well, herbal remedies and delicious Moo Moo Milk, which I buy quite a lot of. The random NPC dialogue isn't terribly engaging, mostly dealing with advanced game concepts (mons that only evolve when traded, held items, battle combo moves, etc.) After picking up some free stuff and fighting a rotation battle (and apparently taking poor notes on what everyone said and did,) I'm ready to head out.

North of Driftveil is Route 6, a twisty path that winds across streams and between trees- it is also chock full of tall grass.

*WILD DEERLING APPEARED!*
  ...well, at least it isn't hideous.

Wait, it comes in brown? I wanted a brown one!
  Sorry Bambi, I don't ha-
  [*ahem*]
  Eh? Oh, the 'dex says you're a lady deer. Well, it's not like I haven't given gender inappropriate names before.
  [...]
  ...but I've never had one that was also bright pink? Whatever, get in the Box, Bambina.
  ['samattayou!]

As it turns out, I got lucky with Bambina- most of the other mons here aren't worth catching. The only Pokemon I haven't encountered/caught before are Karrablast, a dumb looking Bug type, and Foongus, a Pokeball-looking toadstool (Grass/Poison, natch.) Neither of them would really improve my party any more than the pure-Grass Deerling. Not that I'm in any particular rush to move Deerling up to the main cast, but...

Go, Deerling!
  [FOR SCIENCE!]
  Hey, how come you got a green one? I want a green one!
  Deerling change colors depending on the season- I caught this Pokemon in the Summer, when it had a verdant green coat. They also come in Pink, Brown, and Rust.
  The seasons, eh? So I'll get a better looking one in a month or so?
  I'm afraid not- our research has shown that Deerling do not change their coat at all once they have been caught.
  Blast! Wait... "our" research?
  I work at the Season Research Lab up ahead- Deerling are one of the most common Pokemon that visibly change with the seasons, so we set up shop to battle and see if they have any different characteristics other than coloration.
  Interesting. So what have you learned from this battle?
  That Grass Types are weak to Flying Types.
  [SIEG HEIL!]
  Nice work, Heinrich.
  *Heinrich has learned Air Slash! Heinrich is evolving!*
*Heinrich has evolved into Tranquill*
  Very nice work, yes indeed!

Sure enough, after battling my way through swarms of Deerling and Karrablasts (and another couple scientists,) I arrive at the scenic Season Research lab.

Hello! We've been studying Deerling here, and how they change appearance based on the season. Have you caught any Deerling here?
  Actually, yes, a bright pink one.
  Can you show it to me? It will add to our sample size and improve the data we've collected.
  Uhh... wait right there.

*A SHORT SPRINT TO THE PC LATER*

*pant* Here... here you go. Bambina!
  Thank you. Some Pokemon also change their appearance based on the season. Could that also be considered a type of evolution?*
  ...*pant* dunno, you're the scientist. *pant* so... what do I get?
  Get?
  *whew* Y'know, for helping you. Normally people give me stuff when I perform trival tasks. Or sometimes, for no reason, but almost always if I have to do something first.
  Uh... you get the satisfaction of furthering SCIENCE!
  That's... that's not a thing! What a waste of a trip. At least I know Bambina isn't much good in combat- back in the box she goes.

It isn't all scientists and Deerling on this Route, however.

Go, Vanillite!
  [Ice Ice Baby!]
  Is... is that a freaking ICE CREAM CONE!?!
  Yeah, what of it?
  I- why is this a Pokemon? Why, Mew, why would you create such a thing!
  Your anger makes me giggle.
  *PSYBEAM SPAM*
  You can do it, Frillish!
  [FRILLISH HIM!]
  Oh come ON, do you just go around looking for the most ridiculous Pokemon you can find?
  It doesn't look ridiculous, it looks menacing!
  It looks like a blue onion with streamers and a neck ruff. This battle can be over now.
  *PSYBEAM SPAM*
  Welcome to the jungle!
  [We've got fun and games!]
  *PSYBEAM SPAM*
  *DOUBLE TEAM SPAM*
  *PSYBEAM*
  *Pursuit*
  Aw crap, that's not a good matchup, even with it weakened. I'd better swap out for Gustave-
  *Pursuit*
  *hrk*
  No! I didn't mean it, I take it back! ...son of a bitch, Miho. Alright, that's it! Finish it, Gustave!
  *Crunch* *evasion miss*
  You mad?
  [Shut up and die you stupid thing!] *Crunch Spam*
  *KO*
  NAAAAATUUUUURE!*
  Bloody... what is with you people and screaming your affiliations after you lose?
  When we are surrounded by green, we feel more energetic! Thank you, Mother Nature!*
  Tree-hugging pagan. ...back to Driftveil, I suppose.

*sigh* Alright, who's up.
  [Ey, Imma ready for de action!]
  [Just gimme a chance, that's all I ask!]
  [Put me in, coach!]
  Really? This is all I've got? Alright- Bambina, I choose you. A Grass type might come in handy at the Ground Gym. ...Why did it start to rain?

This caught me off guard- I had assumed that weather conditions (like the Sandstorm on that one route) were a stable thing, but apparently they can arise naturally, or at least aren't an "always on" thing. It's a soggy group that heads out onto Route 6 for training.

*Wild Deerling Appeared!*
  Take it down, Bambina!
*Faint Attack*
*Faint Attack*
*TAKE DOWN CRIT*
  *KO*
  Well... bother. That was fast. Alright, uh, I guess Trubbish makes it to the main party... I think I'm ready to take out some frustration on Team Plasma about now.

NEXT TIME: Rack'n Frack'n Plasma
Suggestions, Comments, Criticism welcome as always. I should be moving away from my current "quarterly" update schedule- hooray for the return of sun! And fun fact, one year ago today I posted Part I of this very LP- happy anniversary, everyone!

Spoiler: Routes Visited (click to show/hide)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! Part XXI: Driftveil City
« Reply #491 on: June 04, 2012, 07:55:32 pm »

An update? IT'S A MIRACLE!!! Huzzah!
It's FEF, not FEOF

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: June 04, 2012, 07:58:54 pm »

An update? IT'S A MIRACLE!!! Huzzah!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: June 04, 2012, 08:00:30 pm »

Oh come on, it was only a... 6 month unannounced hiatus. Dayum. Guess I should have said "semiannually" instead of "quarterly."

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: June 04, 2012, 08:04:21 pm »

Better pick up the pace or everyone will have finished Black2 & White2 ages ago by the time he LP is done.  :P
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 48