Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 48

Author Topic: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! RUN COMPLETED  (Read 314621 times)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! Part XXI: Driftveil City
« Reply #495 on: June 04, 2012, 08:08:23 pm »

IT'S ALIVE!

Also awesome. Poor Miho. She was creepy but didn't deserved such.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 04, 2012, 08:36:19 pm »

Holy crap, zombie thread!

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: June 04, 2012, 09:08:28 pm »

holy shit, an update?
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 04, 2012, 10:01:03 pm »

Yay~!
Now trubbish can shine like the grimy star he is!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 05, 2012, 03:45:34 am »

Awesome! Bloody finally!  :D

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: June 05, 2012, 05:28:55 am »

It's alive!

And now we wait. Monk makes great stories. :))

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #501 on: June 05, 2012, 06:01:37 am »

GJ with the update monk!

Woah all the birds are doing nazi alutes, how weird. I wonder if someone vas started boycott over that or something...
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #502 on: June 05, 2012, 06:02:01 am »

oh good gawd, i'm rofling so hard.
XD

I kind of hoped on a sort of *Bambina/Bambi* pun at its death, like "When weathers goes down, so do the bambis" or similar.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 06, 2012, 01:34:17 pm »

Whatever you get from Celestial Tower you damn well better use.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: July 11, 2012, 01:29:55 pm »

PTW, and unintentional revival. WHY DO YOU KEEP THESE THINGS IN YOUR SIG MONK?!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 11, 2012, 01:42:46 pm »

BECAUSE THE ONLY THINGS THAT DIE FOREVER ARE MY POKEMON!

...aww, accidentally made myself sad.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: July 11, 2012, 02:07:10 pm »

Oh hey, I missed the update back in June, so yay for the bump that got me to read it! A bit sad about Miho and Bambi(na), especially since a Deerling (and its evolution once it evolved) was one of the stronger mons on my team if I remember right.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 25, 2012, 11:37:17 pm »

ptw, I might do a Nuzlocke B/W eventually. I never make the right choices though, so it should be hilarious...
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

PART XXII: Rack'n Frack'n Plasma!

As much as I'd like to get straight to the Plasma-punching portion of the day, when I pull Oscar the Trubbish out of the Box I'm reminded of just how underleveled he is. Thus, we go grinding on Route 6, since I never made it to the end anyway. Oscar has a much better time of it since his Poison has type advantage against most things here, and his Defense is high enough to comfortably absorb a Take Down or three. Again, it isn't so much that Trubbish is a bad Pokemon, it's just that there are not many situations that make you say "Boy, I sure wish I had a Poison type right about now!"

Plus, y'know, he's a broken garbage bag. What the hell.

Without too much ado, we make our way to the end of Route 6- this terminus is Chargestone Cave.

Aw yeah- I could rock an Emolga right about now! Out of the way, peasant!
  Now what do I do? The entrance to Chargestone Cave is blocked off. It's because of a Pokemon called Galvantula, and if I don't ask Clay to do something, there's no way to pass!
  ...Galvantula? Oh no, you're freaking kidding me. It better not be a dumb electric spider.

Hint- the blockage is a web made of electricity
  ...well, as long as I'm not required to catch it.

Some random guy also tells me about a cave with a legendary in it, but I need Surf to get it. That about covers all the excitement here- TO COLD STORAGE!

I'm really not sure why they let kids in here

Cold Storage appears to be an active shipyard- there's lots of big cargo containers, big ships to carry the big cargo containers, big cranes to load the big cargo containers onto the big ships... well, you get my point. The first order of business is to battle the various dock workers and pick up the random stuff on the ground. Excitingly, there is also some Tall Grass here!

Come on, Ice Types! Something other than Vanillite, preferably...
  *Wild Herdier Appeared!*
  Aw... poop. Let's hope I never have to pull you out of the Box, Pompey II.
  [Och!]
  Monk... Do you think Team Plasma could be in there? I don't like cold places, but we have to check. What a bother.*
  Well, they weren't in the grass, the market, Route 6, or the Season Research Lab. So yeah, they're probably in one of these coolers.
  Is there anything more important than Strength, like the Champion said? I'll never understand just thinking about it. What a bother. Let's hurry up and check the inside.*

The safety inspector isn't gonna be happy about all the Ice on the floor
Oh, who am I kidding, there is no safety inspector

The Cold portion of Cold Storage appears to be a vast frosty warehouse full of dockworkers and that icy floor-sliding puzzle so common to the Pokemon games and RPGs in general. I'm rather worried that my poorly-optimized team will have trouble with the no-doubt diverse array of Ice Types that call such a place home, but...

Go, Darumaka!
  [Burn baby burn!]
  Wait, why do you have a Fire type?
  To keep warm! It's cold as balls in here!
  Well, yes it is. I just figured you'd use a cold something in the cold place.
  [Countertyping worked out well though.] *Water Pulse*
  Go, Gurdurr!
  [I must break you.]
  Ha! Oh, Mew, that must be Timburr's evolution, huh?
  Yeah, what of it?
  What happened to it's head? He evolved a clown nose and wig! And where did he even get that I-beam?
  Hey, there's nothing funny about my bro!
  [There is, however, a certain amusement to be gleaned from overwhelming type advantage.] *Air Slash*
  I AM TRAINING. PLEASE INSERT GURDURR.
  Oi, Steve, get over here and teach this smartass kid a lesson!
  The best trainer of Ice-type in Cold Storage- that's me!*
  You are the ONLY trainer of Ice Type in Cold Storage!
  [Fear the McFlurry!]
  And evidently, you are the only Ice Type Pokemon in Cold Storage. Great. Well, at least Trubbish is getting some needed experience.
  [I'm helping!]
  *KO*
  There. Happy? Now, have you seen any Plasma Grunts in here?
  Oh yeah, they're in the container over there.
  Wait, really? Why haven't you done anything about them?
  Eh. They're mostly harmless, and they stay out of the way.
  Fair enough. Toodles!

On my way to "the container over there," I find a Scald TM. Readers with good memories may remember that I got beat around pretty good by a Panpour who spammed this, and now I know why he was so successful- Scald is a damn good move! For comparison, I've been loving Marvin's Water Pulse technique, but Scald is more powerful, no less accurate, and is more likely to burn the target than Water Pulse is to confuse it. Needless to say, I immediately teach Marvin how to burn things with water.

And then I walked into some kind of frigid orgy

Wait, hang on, I think we need to zoom in on the guy with the unique sprite there.

Yeaaaaaaaah. I could go on for pages on this guy, but in his defense, he didn't look quite like this in-game, so I'll spare him. But if you're wondering how a guy in an incomplete Barney suit could possibly be a threat, I'll give you hint- bahahahaha nooooooo.

All of you- huddle around me! I can't take this cold...*
  Whatever. I can't believe you were really hiding. It's a bother, but if you're cold, shall I show you outside?*
  Pokemon are our king's friends. While we're taking care of them, we can't let any harm come to them here. Everyone, drive these intruders away!*
  Understood, Zinzolin of the Seven Sages! Put'm up, 'cause here we come!

At this point, the Plasma Grunts spread out, run up to double-team Cheren and myself... and then stand there. They don't start battling until you talk to them- I actually leave at this point, go hit up a Pokemon Center, and wander a bit before coming back in to start the fight, just because I can. Hey, they're not going anywhere- it's not like a battle with fugitive criminals is time-sensitive or anything.

In the middle of the night, we gathered all the Pokemon we stole in front of the container, so we could transport them all at the same time. Then Clay, that old guy, found us. We had been captured!*
  You guys are pathetic. Wilderness in every direction, and you went straight for the busiest district of Driftveil, full of people and Pokemon who could spot you.
  The Pokemon that work with people may look like they're having fun, but the truth is they're suffering.*
  That's... actually a fair accusation. I know why the caged bird sings, and all that.
  You done over there, Monk? I finished my battles ages ago- really thought I'd get more EXP for it, too.

Suddenly, Clay and a team of his goons burst in!

Well, I'll be! Hidin' in a chilly ol' place like this... You guys take these Pokemon robbers!*
  And please put them in a prison where the locks aren't electrical.
  You guys ain't so bad! Yup, a promise is a promise. Come on an' challenge my Gym!*
  About freaking time. Let's roll, Cheren.
  Whatever... Team Plasma's ideal...Separating people and Pokemon...It's exactly the same as not having Pokemon in this world at all. That bunch is a waste of oxygen. It's cold, I'm getting out of here.*

On my way to the Gym, I hit up the Pokecenter- not just for healz, but to box Trubbish.

[Come on, I was useful this time!]
  Calm down, Trubbish, this isn't a permanent thing. Clay uses Ground Types, and I don't want to put you at risk. I just need to swap you quick with somebody who won't care about the Ground Types.
  [Awoo-ooh!]
  Plus, I'm a sucker for catchy tunes.

Unfortunately, my delay has cost me- by the time I get to the Gym, I see that everyone's favorite Diabolus Ex Machina, Ghetsis, has arrived on the scene.

Clay, it's a pleasure to meet you. I am Ghetsis of Team Plasma. I've come to pick up my associates who are in your care.*
  I don't need no thanks, now. Yer buddies were tryin' to steal some folks' Pokemon.*
  What's this? It seems as if there has been some misunderstanding. We only free Pokemon from wicked people.*
  Also little girls.
  Well, that sounds real nice, if it's true. I may not talk purty, but at least I'm an honest man. You talk real nice, but what yer sayin' kinda sounds like lyin'. So tell me plain, what are ya tryin' to say?*
  Team Plasma also has an interest in Driftveil City. And we have many, many more members besides those who are here...*
  And every one of them is woefully incompetent.
  Well, I can't tell if yer lyin' or not, but I reckon you've won this without a fight. Hrrmph. Fine. Take 'em and git!*
...WHAT!?!
  A decision worthy of a businessman called the Miner King. Your grasp of the situation is outstanding. Well then, we will be taking our colleagues off your hands...*
  Ghetsis... thank you very much...*
  Don't worry, my fellow servant of the king... We are two of the Seven Sages, are we not? Well then, everyone, I expect that we will meet again somewhere.* Farewell!
  Sorry to let Team Plasma go after you tracked 'em down, fellas.*
  YOU COWARDLY BASTARD!
  Hey! Don't you be callin' me yeller!
  You're the Earl of Driftveil, and you just let a gang of thieves get away scott free!
  Darn tootin', I'm the Earl of Driftveil! And that means it's my responsibility to protect me and mine. They've scampered off now, and they won't be comin' back any time soon. No need to anger an ornery bear like Team Plasma.
  Well, we avoided a fight in the middle of the city, anyway.*
That didn't stop you in my freaking room! Mew blind you, Clay, I thought I'd finally found somebody who would do their job properly and lock up those Plasma Grunts! No wonder you like Elesa and her yellow hair so much- it matches well with your yellow belly!
  I've had it up to here with your sassafras! You want to fight me, fine. I'll be ready in my Gym. Don't keep me waitin'!
  I can't help but think Ghetsis isn't just an ordinary person.*
  Yeah, he's obviously the final boss. I can't wait to give him a good beat-down.
  I'm off to go make my Pokemon stronger. I really don't want to lose to that Clay guy. Actually, I'm going to win my Gym Badge in a flawless victory!*
  No need for any more training, I think. That coward is no warrior- I'll grind him into dust!

NEXT TIME: Clay
Suggestions, Comments, Criticism welcome as always.

And finally, a long-overdue plug. I think I posted all of two updates in the time it took a friend of mine to do his entire run of Pokemon Silver. It's quite entertaining, especially if you've ever read/watched Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, so why not take a minute and check it out? Johto's Bizarre Adventure, by OCyrus, hosted on the Nuzlocke forums.

Spoiler: Routes Visited (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 01:59:59 pm by monk12 »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wooo update! This game really is pretty inane if you think about it a bit. I hope the Trubbish sticks around for a while, I don't think I've ever actually used a poison type for any extended period of time. Re: the plug, I can always use more fun Nuzlockes to read through. Thanks!
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 48