Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 48

Author Topic: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! RUN COMPLETED  (Read 314590 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile

An update? Huzzah!!! 

Ps. Tgats actually zinzolins b&w2 appearance. Hes wearing something more like formal robes in b&w
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 08:23:52 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! Part XXII: Clay
« Reply #511 on: September 06, 2012, 04:41:42 pm »

PART XXIII: Clay

Musical accompaniment for the evening has been generously (if unknowingly) provided by Savatage. Enjoy whenever you have a nice buffer. On, to the update!

Inside, the Gym appears to be a single large room, with the customary receptionist desk by the door and a large platform in the center. After picking up my complimentary Fresh Water, I step onto the platform- an elevator that takes me deep underground. Driftveil City's Gym is an active mineshaft; the only walkable path is the I-beams that surround a grid of elevators. Narrow catwalks, no railings, no emergency exits, random glowy green rocks in the walls- this place makes a coal mine look like a pillow warehouse. I add OSHA to thing list of things I'll mandate when I rule this world, and head on.

Navigating the Gym involves taking Elevators up and down levels to get to the elevator that will take me to Clay, all while battling the miners balancing above their doom. Naturally, I can't just hop on that elevator to begin with, for it is blocked by one of the most formidable obstacles in the world.

I hate you, orange traffic cone
  Yee-haw! You ain't gonna last agin' us!
  Whatever. Come on, Marvin, this is a Ground Type Gym and you need some XP.
  [About time. I haven't gotten any decent action since the Playhouse.]
  Git that varmint, Palpitoad!
  [Oh, I'll give you action!]
  Wait, crap, is that Water/Ground?
  It's a toad, yer in a Ground Gym, what do ya think it is?
  ...I suddenly miss Bambina a lot.
  [I've got this, boss.]
  *KO*
  Ah, that's alright then. Should've known you could handle a top-heavy frog without arms.
  But can you handle THIS!?!
  [Bring it!]
  A pure-Ground type? Almost certainly.
  *SCALD* *SCALD* *SCALD* *SCALD*

Not pictured- all the other trainers Marvin blasted with those Scalds. This Gym isn't terribly exciting, and while the elevator maze is more intricate than the previous Gyms it still boils down to a linear path. Take the elevator, defeat the guy on the other side, walk past him until you get to a new elevator, repeat.

Without too much bother, I eventually make my way to the appropriate elevator, which descends an impressive distance into the depths of the mine, where Clay is waiting next to a giant glowy green rock, surrounded by heavy machinery and attendant orange cones.

Hooray for Materia I mean, uh, Glowy Green Rocks!
  Well, you certainly took your sweet time gettin' down here!
  Hey, you're the one who threw a bunch of mooks in my way- it takes a certain amount of time to give them the thrashing they deserve. Not a long amount of time, maybe, but it adds up.
  Hello Pokemon fans, and welcome to another exciting edition of Unovan Idol!
  Blah, this guy. I can't be the only one who is sick of his pander, can I?
  Tonight's challenger is Monk, who looks to continue his reign of terror and oppression here tonight!
  Well, "reign of terror" seems a bit extreme, don't you think?
  His underhanded tactics have served him well on his march to the Pokemon League, even if it meant abandoning his best friend to the mercies of powerful trainers!
  Come on, they were, like, eight years old! And that battle was all me, Cheren barely helped at all!
  Monk killed our cuddly Herdier... why did they have to die?
  I, uh, what I meant to say was that Cheren and I worked TOGETHER to win that battle! Yeah!
  Yeah, I remember that Monk kid. Said he'd thank me on TV if I gave him a Dig TM, and never did, even when I saw him using it to defeat Elesa! What a little snot.
  Hey, I totally meant to mention that guy! I've had a busy week, ok?
  I HATE EVERYTHING
  Yeah, uh, well, I've grown rather fond of Marvin?
  And of course, his recent arrival in Driftveil coincided with the escape of several high-ranking Team Plasma members from the local prison. After Clay recaptured them, Monk arrived on the scene along with Ghetsis, forcing Clay to release the prisoners to avoid a massive battle in the middle of town.
  THAT IS ENOUGH! I will not stand here while you vilify me and make that lily-livered oaf out to be the hero! I, Sir Monk, heir to the Barony of Nuvema, come here bearing the Trio Badge, the Basic Badge, the Insect Badge, and the Bolt Badge! By these trophies of my strength and in accordance with the traditions of our people, I challenge you to battle, Earl Clay! Bring that coward down, Marvin!
  Hold yer horses, we've got to cut to commercial first.
  As Mew is my witness, Clay, if you do not send out a Pokemon in the next six seconds Marvin will cut you down where you stand.
  Well. Think it's about time to see fer yerself what it is about yer skills that made a Gym Leader like Elesa take such a shine to ya.* Krokorok!
  [Ah, is it lunchtime already?]
  [SIT DOWN.] *SCALD*
  *OHKO*
  Uh oh. Go, Excadrill!
  [WHO'S A BITCH!?!] *Hone Claws*
  Sweet Mew, it's Edward Scissorhands! Kill it with water!
  [Bah, worthless barbarians.] *SCALD*
  I'll be! Didn't see that one coming.* Hyper Potion!
  Oh don't be like that, Clay. He was at less than a quarter HP, there's no way he's gonna survive this next hit. Take him down, Marvin.
  Oh no you don't! Hyper Potion!
  DAMMIT CLAY! I thought you were a businessman, how much money are you going to blow on this hopeless fight?
  [SLASHY SLASHY!] *Slash*
  [Ugh! Honorless dog!] *SCALD*
  *KO*
  Well! Y'all might be feeling pretty cocky right about now, but prepare to face my final, most powerful Pokemon! Palpitoad!
  [Hydrofrack Attack!]
  Another one of these ugly bastards? Really? Don't insult my abilities. Heinrich, give Marvin a break, he needs to heal after that Slash and he doesn't have much Type Advantage here. You can ignore whatever Ground-based Secret Ultimate Move Clay has up his sleeve.
  [No frogmen shall thwart our march!]
  *Muddy Water*
  [Ach, my feathers!]
  Wow okay, that was half your hit points. Dewey can resist that, though, if he's got the stats to overcome the level deficit.
  [I'll save you, Uncle Heinrich!]
  *Muddy Water* *Critical Hit*
  Oh dear, that wasn't good. Super Potion!
  *Muddy Water*
  [Ha! Can't crit every time, ya frog!]
  There we go, much better. Have some MooMoo Milk, Marvin, then go relieve Dewey before he gets crit again.
  [Very well- that kill is mine.] *Revenge*
  *Muddy Water* *Muddy Water*
  [Insignificant.] *Revenge* *Critical Hit*
  *KO*
  Well, I've had enough. And just so you know, I didn't go easy on you.*
  Woah! In less time than it takes to tell it, Monk has destroyed Clay, earning his fifth Gym Badge and proving himself a serious contender for the Pokemon League! Look out Mistralton City, Monk's coming your way, and we all know what happens to trainers who get in his way! This has been John Madden on Unovan Idol- see you next time!
  What do you mean, you didn't go easy on me?
  You know how most Gym Leaders use weaker Pokemon than their main team? To level the playing field, an' make the challenge a contest of skill. Well, you just beat my best Pokemon.
  ...Sweet Merciful Mew! What if Ghetsis had attacked!?! There's no way you could stop a Team Plasma attack with three mediocre Pokemon like that!
  Ya think I don't know that!?! I didn't let them Plasma fellers get away because I was afraid, I did it because it was a fight I couldn't win.
  Great, you're not a coward, you're just woefully incompetent.
  Now listen here, I'm damn good at what I do! My mines supply all the mineral wealth Unova needs! And my ports bring immense wealth from foreign nations to our lands!
  And that's NOT YOUR JOB. You are the Earl of Driftveil, it is your duty to maintain a quality Pokemon Party to defend your holdings, to protect our borders against those foreigners you love so much! This is what's wrong with society- you're a merchant, Elesa's a model, Burgh's an artist, Lenora's an archaeologist... none of you are warriors! If you had been doing your duty, Team Plasma would never have gotten off the ground, and would not be a threat to you now.
Mrrmph. I see. But I sure don't like it!*
  Yeah, well, not many people like the truth.
  Fer such a young'n, ya have an imposin' battle style. I know ya got people who can dig up yer potential. Mrmph. Here! Take This!*

EXCELLENT
  Uh, thanks? What is this?
  Oh, sorry, wrong badge. Here! The Quake Badge!

Aw. Much less excellent
  So this is yer fifth Badge, huh? Take this TM... well, that was the plan, but I just remembered there's somethin' I want. Wait in front of the cave at the end of Route 6, wouldja?*
  How about no? The last time a Gym Leader suggested that I got attacked by Cheren, framed by John Madden, and accused of helping Team Plasma escape jail by you yourself.
  Listen, I need to go out to Route 6 to take care of a Pokemon nest. Yer going that way anyway- if ya can take the time to let me speak my peace, ya can have my special TM for free!
  No! You disgust me, and I can't get out of Driftveil fast enough.
  Free. Stuff.
  ....dammit! Alright, I'll meet you there right after I hit the Pokecenter.

NEXT TIME: Chargestone Cave
Suggestions, Comments, Criticism welcome as always.

Spoiler: Routes Visited (click to show/hide)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! Part XXIII: Clay
« Reply #512 on: September 06, 2012, 04:45:40 pm »

2 Updates? In the space of less than a month? What witchcraft is this?!

But more seriously, glad to see that your progressing on this again, keep it up! You're nearing the good part!
It's FEF, not FEOF

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 06, 2012, 05:31:44 pm »

Yay, nobody died!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: September 06, 2012, 05:41:32 pm »

I find it amazing how well Clay knows our hero.
Clay: Free. Stuff.
The holy grail of RPG protagonists everywhere.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: September 06, 2012, 07:26:33 pm »

I find it amazing how well Clay knows our hero.
Clay: Free. Stuff.
The holy grail of RPG protagonists everywhere.

Clay has had a lot of challengers in his day, and the one thing none of them can resist is shinies of marginal usefulness!

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 06, 2012, 08:34:49 pm »

While I do enjoy this LP a lot, what happened to Mario Kart Grand Prix? Are you going to finish this, that, what's the deal?  ???
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: September 06, 2012, 09:40:32 pm »

While I do enjoy this LP a lot, what happened to Mario Kart Grand Prix? Are you going to finish this, that, what's the deal?  ???

Both, no promises on timelines. Not a terribly satisfying answer, I know.

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: September 06, 2012, 10:27:03 pm »

Eh, everyone ends up with stuff coming up in their life. My suggestion game is on hold because of the long weekend and an immediate trip to Alaska afterwards. Need to get back to Washington before I'll get my drive back to update it. Of course it's much less interesting than this, so I have fewer (if any) disappointed readers. :)
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 07, 2012, 08:58:40 am »

I'm here for the humor, and to listen to this during the gym battles.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: September 07, 2012, 02:02:33 pm »

Y'know, I almost went with this one for this fight, since I was having trouble finding a song I felt fit the Gym. That's my NFL/Buffalo Bills bias showing again, though. And now that I've mentioned it here, I can't use it in upcoming Gyms! Oh noooooo :P

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: September 09, 2012, 06:52:24 pm »

Ah yes, Palpitoad. Look at all them tumors.

Also for some reason the King of Monty Moles tends to give me trouble even if I can pick on weaknesses.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 09, 2012, 06:54:58 pm »

Well it is Uber. I have one and it smushes everything. I named it Simon but didn't realize it was a girl till way later.  :-[
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 08:05:09 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: September 09, 2012, 08:00:31 pm »

Oh yeah, if you find a Ferroseed in Chargestone Cave, could you name it Gordo?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: September 10, 2012, 01:19:45 pm »

Also, if Muddy Water and Revenge are the same as gen3, then they aren't quite as you described them.

Muddy Water has the same base power as Surf, but is less accurate. Revenge is fighting-type Flail.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 48