Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 48

Author Topic: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! RUN COMPLETED  (Read 314577 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! Part XXVI: Mistralton City
« Reply #570 on: December 08, 2012, 08:58:43 pm »

Monk, mind if I shamelessly steal your LP idea and play a modified Nuzlocke LP for PMD Red?

Not at all! Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, et cetera et cetera, it's not like I'm the first guy to do a Nuzlocke on this forum anyway. Best of luck!

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: December 09, 2012, 04:56:22 pm »

Will start it, as soon as my sister unloses my old Gameboy.

Also, how about this set of modified rules:
Any pokemon except my starter and partner who faint are considered dead.
Since it's hard enough to recruit pokemon in PMD in the first place, you are allowed to recruit one pokemon per dungeon

Any other rules I should modify?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: December 09, 2012, 06:43:43 pm »

A limit on reviver seeds.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: December 09, 2012, 06:45:34 pm »

I (and probably a fair number of other people watching this) haven't played the Mystery Dungeon games, but a quick google search brought up some rule ideas: http://s7.zetaboards.com/Nuzlocke_Forum/topic/8636909/1/ and http://espeon196tf.deviantart.com/journal/Pokemon-Mystery-Dungeon-Nuzlocke-Rules-220164292

Also, http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7336615 for a forum of PMD nuzlockes.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: December 09, 2012, 07:07:29 pm »

I just realized, your name is probably Monk pronounced as 'Munk', not Monk pronounced as 'Mawnk.' But the second one is hilarious, so I'll just keep reading it that way. Impressive updates! I've been avoiding reading this until today (I just finished White and didn't want spoilers for my own special challenge mode formula), but it's awesome. Having attempted (and failed) to run a LP of a nuzlocke run twice before, I know how much work it can be.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: December 09, 2012, 07:20:51 pm »

Having attempted (and failed) to run a LP of a nuzlocke run twice before, I know how much work it can be.
Agreed. I think I've probably already said this in this thread somewhere, but it can be a serious pain to do an LP, especially a screenshot one, and yours is creative and fun on top of that. Nice work!
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: December 11, 2012, 01:48:13 pm »

*Sees picture of pokemon eating pokemon*
I'll just leave this here.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: December 11, 2012, 01:55:29 pm »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play with these Newfangled Pokemanz! Part XXVII: Skyla
« Reply #578 on: December 15, 2012, 12:02:44 am »

PART XXVII: Skyla

Tonight's battle music comes to us courtesy of The Scorpions and the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra. The song's like six minutes long, so feel free to play when your buffer is acceptable.

I mop up the rest of the odd trainers and do a little grinding before heading over to the Gym, nothing terribly exciting. The grinding, that is- the Gym itself, to quote Cedric Juniper, is "really out there." It situated inside the hanger, which is a little strange because there is no way they could park a plane in there. Here, I'll show you. This is what Mistralton Gym looks like from the outside.

The door's a little small for an airplane, but whatever

Once we get inside, however...

Note the ubiquitous traffic cones

"What a good view," you might be thinking. "How did he get such a panoramic shot?" Well I'll show you how I got such a panoramic shot.

I thought Clay's OSHA compliance was bad, but this is ridiculous!

Catch all that? Let me recap. This Gym is full of CANNONS that explode you ACROSS THE GYM to get to the next trainer- and the next cannon, of course. Now, there's plenty of human cannonballs in real life (well, maybe not plenty, but enough for the concept to be familiar,) but they normally have the benefit of a big cushy airbag to land on. In Mistralton City, the only thing breaking your fall is the cold, hard steel floor (and in one memorable instance, the cold, hard steel wall.) Remember kids, tuck and roll!

In a way, it's brilliant. Not the cannons, those are don't make a lick of sense, but the rest of it ties together quite neatly. The door to the Gym is too small for an airplane because airplanes were never meant to be parked in here- it really isn't a hanger, it was built as a Gym. The crowded, multi-level ground floor is there to slow down intruders who don't use Flying types, and disorient regular challengers right before their next battle. The roof was purposely built high to accommodate the cannons and the Flying Pokemon. Really, this Gym isn't a hanger so much as it is an aviary.

It doesn't explain where they park the planes, but who has time to consider imponderables when there are Trainers to fight?

Urf, I think I might be getting airsick.
  What do you think about the cannons? Isn't it great that you can experience how flying Pokemon feel?*
  This is how Flying Pokemon feel all the time? It would certainly explain the rampant fascism I've noticed.
  Next experience the feeling of losing a Pokemon battle!*
  Not bloody likely.
  [Pas du tout probable!]
  Remember! You can enter the cannons from any side!
  I could enter from any side I pleased if these accursed traffic cones weren't in the way!
  *Lumiere learned Inferno!*
  Alright, now we're cookin' with gas!
  I became a pilot, making the dream of my younger days a reality... the weight is quite comfortable.*
  Surely you can't be serious, special guest Kareem Abdul Jabbar? There's only one airplane in all of Unova, and Skyla flies it!
  Of course I'm serious, and don't call me Shirley.
  [You may be serious, but you should've stuck with basketball.]
  Nice work, Marvin.
  *Dewott is evolving!*
  *Dewott evolved into Samurott!*
  :D Marvin! You... don't look anything like you did when we started this thing. And I'm just fine with that! Nice mustache.

Wait, he evolved a SWORD? He's not even bipedal anymore!
  Congratulations on your Samurott!
  Gah! Oh hey, we're here.
  Hee hee! I've been waiting for you. Did you enjoy flying with the help of the Mistralton Gym cannons? They're my pride and joy!*
  They're something, alright. But enough chit-chat, I've got places to go, Gyms to challenge, terrorists to disperse, you get the picture. Countess Skyla of Mistralton Gym, I, Sir Monk of Nuvema Town, bearer of-
  Hello Pokemon fans, and welcome to another exciting edition of Unovan Idol!
  YOU! I'LL KILL YOU FOR YOUR SLANDER!
  Killing an old fat white guy won't do your credibility much good, silly billy.
  But it would make me feel better.
  Monk faces a stern test in Mistralton Gym. He lost two partners in Chargestone Cave to a powerful Flying Type, and will have to work to ensure the same fate doesn't befall the rest of his team here!
  Oh balls, you aren't going to Acrobatics spam me, are you?
  Hee hee!
  Replacing the fallen is a young Litwick named Lumiere, whose powerful attacks really figure to shine bright tonight! A Cofagrigus known as Teddy will complete the ghostly duo, lending a high Defense to resist the overwhelming Attack Skyla's Flying pokemon are known for!
  Come on, how can you know what mons I'm going to use? At least tell me what she's going to spring on me!
  Well that wouldn't be any fun!
  Whatever, you ready to dance?
  When I think about a match with a fabulous trainer like you, it's like I'm walking on air!* Go, Swoobat!
  [The bitch is hungry, she needs to tell!]
  Sweet Mew, Woobat's nose turned into a little heart? And I don't even want to know what's up with that face-hugger alien tail thing it evolved.
  [Lui donner pouces et le nourrir sa puits!] *INFERNO*
  [Gah!] *Assurance*
  Uh oh, Monk better step carefully! His Ghost-based assault won't last long against the Dark Type!
  Another Inferno should do it. Just need a little luck to hit...
  [Qui a besoin de chance quand vous avez des compétence?] *INFERNO*
  *KO*
  No! Get out there, Swanna!
  [Here I am!]
  Straight to the big guns, huh? I'm guessing that's an evolved Ducklett- I'm not sure what a bird needs with a bra, and the Princess Leia look went out of style ages ago, but I'm digging the whole "Ugly Duckling" connection. Very clever.
  Who are you talking to, anyway?
  Doesn't matter! Get out there, Teddy!
  [BRAAAAAAAGHAAAAAAA!]
  That, uh, doesn't sound like singing.
  *Aerial Ace*
  *pitifully small amount of damage*
  But it's music to my ears anyway. Here, Curse it and have some MooMilk.
  *Curse*
  [Uh oh.] *Aerial Ace* *Bubblebeam* *Bubblebeam* *Aerial Ace* *KO*
  Grrr. It's up to you, Unfezant!
  Unfezant? How pedestrian. Teddy, second verse, same as the first.
  He's licking his lips, he's ready to win!
  *MooMilk* *Curse* *MooMilk*
  *Air Slash* *Air Slash* *Air Slash* *Air Slash* *KO*
  And it's over! Monk has defeated Skyla to gain his sixth Gym Badge! Only two more to go, and he'll be eligible to face the Elite Four! Monk has dominated in his last few outings, but the stiffest challenge is yet to come! You won't want to miss it next time, on Unovan Idol!
  Seriously, when are you guys going to start using more than three mons against me? I know you're supposed to play down to my level to make it a fair challenge, but this is just embarrassing.
  You're an amazing Pokemon Trainer. My Pokemon and I are happy because for the first time in a while, we could fight with our full strength. This is an official League Gym Badge. I think it will look good on you.*
  Hey, get off me! I have a case for those!

Actually, this one looks pretty sweet. I'd wear it
  Wow, hot stuff!*
  Ow. I think you jabbed me with the pin, there.
  As thanks for a Pokemon battle that made me very happy, I want you to have this TM.*
  ...Acrobatics? ACROBATICS!?! SWEET MEW, A USEFUL TM! Himmler, let's get you out here... and...
  *Unfezant is unable to learn Acrobatics! Select another Pokemon.*
  NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  By the way, when I flew over Twist Mountain on the way to Icirrus City... Team Plasma- is that the name? Anyway, they were heading for the city. What kind of people are they?*
  ...what. WHAT. HOW CAN YOU NOT KNOW THIS!?! They've been in the news for months! They just had a whole shebang in Driftveil, for Mew's sake!
  We don't get TV out here.
  ...you know, that actually explains why everyone here was so nice to me. Well, let me give you a crash course- Team Plasma wants to free all Pokemon, and they're doing this by running around stealing things from museums, mugging small children, and generally being a nuisance. So if they're descending on Icirrus City, that means its up to me to save the day. Again. Because you Gym Leaders are USELESS! Monk out!

NEXT TIME: Uh, I dunno, I actually haven't played that far yet. But it'll probably have Team Plasma being Plasbad in it, so stay tuned!
Suggestions, Comments, Criticism welcome as always.

Spoiler: Routes Visited (click to show/hide)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: December 15, 2012, 12:05:33 am »

Yay! *reads the part about haven't payed yet*

Does this mean we'll have to wait another 3 months?  :'(
It's FEF, not FEOF

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: December 15, 2012, 12:09:06 am »

Well, hopefully not, but between that and Christmas I don't think I'll be able to make it 4 Fridays in a row.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: December 15, 2012, 12:18:41 am »

An arena without losing a mon? That's new.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: December 15, 2012, 12:43:04 am »

This is the best Pokemon playthrough I have seen anywhere. I love it.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: December 16, 2012, 05:15:15 am »

This inspired me to do my own nuzlocke run. I'm drowning in Pokemon, for mysterious reasons.

((Really, haven't even done the first gym yet and I already had the oportunity to catch more than 10 Pokemon. Sadly always the same mons.
Current team's a magikarp, Bidoof(rattata analogue), Fire starter, Geodude and a Zubat ))

deve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 30, 2013, 08:08:06 pm »

Posting to watch; a very enjoyable read.
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 48