Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Above Ground Fortress Plan?  (Read 1076 times)

Camden1990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Above Ground Fortress Plan?
« on: June 03, 2011, 10:17:33 am »

Ok, so I'm planning on building an entirely aboveground fortress, out of glass and clay, ideally near a volcano. I'm just trying to decide what sections I should divide my town into, and what should be in each section?
Just curious for peoples ideas!  :D

So far I'm thinking:

Wall + Moat + Drawbridge!

Royal Quarter:
Nobles Housing
Fortress Guard
Jail
Emergency Shelter<

Living Quarter:
Dining Hall
Gardens + Statues
Houses for normal dwarves
Hospital<

Trade Quarter:
Trade Depot
Shops
Traders House
Crafts Workshops + Stockpiles

Food Quarter:
Farms, Inside and Out
Workshops
Pasture<

Religious Quarter:
Temple to each God

Wells and Mist Generators at various places!

Just wondering what else other people think I should include? And in what section?
I know I've got more than 4 Quarters too  :P

Edit: Added Suggestions!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 12:54:57 pm by Camden1990 »

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Above Ground Fortress Plan?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 11:20:49 am »

Well, you could wall in the shops, with a door you can lock in case of a mood, without having the supplies needed for mood. Build  living quarters above the shop, for dwarves using that type. Toady said building bedrooms next to a shop will not cause noise complaints. And would help with efficiency.
 1.Put a tavern in every quarter, consisting of a cellar, to store booze, and prepared foods. The taverns next floor will consist of a nice dining room, and above it a few bedrooms.
 2.Remember a hospital, and a nice statue park, with a mist generator above it.
 3.Several wells
 4.Having the royal quarters central to the city would fit in with medieval style. You can excavate a basement beneath the Keep, to use as a storehouse, and temporary living quarters. Build a wall around your future keep, for defensive purposes.This will be the last resort in case of fun. Hopefully dig a moat, and build a drawbridge.Later will build a perimeter wall for the city. As the city matures, create an emergency food and booze stockpile in the basement, as well as a lever room, in case of fun.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 12:52:05 pm »

Consider having a massive underground plant pasture in your food quarter where you raise sheep, peahens, etc who never see the light of day, and whose eggs and wool are processed into useful goods for the fort.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Camden1990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 12:56:59 pm »

Thanks guys! I can't believe I forgot Hospitals, they involve so much fun. Probably some sort of Water and Magma piping should be below basement level?

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 01:33:24 pm »

Yup, with the plumbing. Since you will have a readily available magma supply, use it for this idea.
In Armoks temple, design a floor in the shape of a dwarfs head. Channel out the eyes and mouth. The level below, have magma flowing. Dump sacrifices in its moth, dump coal in the eyes to get a smoking eye effect. It looks really wicked
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 01:38:59 pm »

is this your first serious aboveground fort ever?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 02:14:02 pm »

A temple to each god may be a little difficult. I recommend a massive temple to Armok, with small rooms coming off of the sides. You can fill these rooms with statues to other gods that you get. That would save a lot of work and room compared to an individual temple for each.

Make some apartment complexes for migrants. These can be low quality; even basically a multi-level dormitory, if you want. Migrants can stay here until you bother to make and assign them houses. Just a suggestion; I've tried this before, and it worked pretty well.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 02:16:49 pm »

A temple to each god may be a little difficult. I recommend a massive temple to Armok, with small rooms coming off of the sides. You can fill these rooms with statues to other gods that you get. That would save a lot of work and room compared to an individual temple for each.

Make some apartment complexes for migrants. These can be low quality; even basically a multi-level dormitory, if you want. Migrants can stay here until you bother to make and assign them houses. Just a suggestion; I've tried this before, and it worked pretty well.
Armok is the only useful god anyways. The god of blood!