Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with a Keyboard for Finnish  (Read 1890 times)

TuefelHundenIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problem with a Keyboard for Finnish
« on: June 03, 2011, 12:45:23 am »

One of my DF Succession game players is Finnish and uses a Finnish keyboard.  He has the following problem.

I am not sure if this a bug or just because this is a game made in English. 

Well, I can map them again, but... Well, for example, when I select the "?" on my keyboard, it becomes "shift +" in the dwarf fortress. But when I try to change "<" and ">" in my keyboard, it just stays blank until I press other key =/ It doesn't seem to recognize my "<" and ">" at all for some reason... Did my explanation make sense?

So any solutions or parts of the fora I should look into or a way he can make it work or is it a bug with foreign style keyboards?

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with a Keyboard for Finnish
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 02:18:36 am »

Just checking, are you using 0.31.25?

I remember that older versions has some quirks in there but now there should be no problems.

Other than that, modify interface.txt by hand?
Have you tried Wiki or google it?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 11:43:01 am »

I think the Legacy version works like that with keybindings, so if your player is using Legacy, he should try SDL. At least that's what I think I encountered with the Legacy version through Wine with my German keyboard.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Boogeyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 12:00:11 pm »

I'm on Finnish keyboard too, everything works fine with the DF2010.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 03:17:57 pm »

One of my DF Succession game players is Finnish and uses a Finnish keyboard.  He has the following problem.

I am not sure if this a bug or just because this is a game made in English. 

Well, I can map them again, but... Well, for example, when I select the "?" on my keyboard, it becomes "shift +" in the dwarf fortress. But when I try to change "<" and ">" in my keyboard, it just stays blank until I press other key =/ It doesn't seem to recognize my "<" and ">" at all for some reason... Did my explanation make sense?

So any solutions or parts of the fora I should look into or a way he can make it work or is it a bug with foreign style keyboards?

The ? button in your keyboard is the ?+\ button in Finnish - ? is behind shift. Dunno about < or >, should be the same button in the same place.

What could help is setting your keyboard language to Finnish, you should be able to do that in any Windows OS, at least. I can change mine to English, and after that the buttons are all, as they should be, messed up and some dont work at all.  ;)

TuefelHundenIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 01:11:59 am »

Hmm no joy.

What exactly is switching between the language modes and how does it work/what do you do?

He is using a desktop computer.

This is his keyboard.

acer keyboard, model number is: KB-0759